• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leap Attack

javcs

First Post
Psionic Charge, prereqs Speed of Thought and 13 Dex, expend psionic focus and can turn 90 degrees once during a charge.

It's in the SRD.

DungeonMaester

First Post
Just so there is no confusion ong Power attack/Leap attack.

Step one: Charge, making a jump check that covers 10 feet and lands you in a square where you can make a attack agianst a opponet.

Step two: AoO

Step three: Attack roll

Step Four: Damage

A. For One handed. (using the max, 5)
5x2=10
(PA)X(double from Leap)

B. Two handed weapons. (using the max, 5)
5x2>(x3)=5x3=15
(PA is doubled from a two handed weapon, so instead its x3)

C. Add other damage from Strenght or feats.

I hope that clears up any lingering confusion.

---Rusty

Iku Rex

Explorer
DungeonMaester said:
Just so there is no confusion ong Power attack/Leap attack.
Just in case you're not just trolling:

1. There's no AoO on a charge.
2. There's no "doubled [PA] from a two handed weapon". It's an absurd statement. ("The Power Attack damage is double the Power Attack damage")

According to the designers the damage is supposed to be 4x attack penalty (2x the extra damage from Power Attack). +20 in your example.

(As written it's effectively 6x, or +30. Errata pending.)

Grunj

First Post
The exact text of the errata reads, "...you deal +100% the normal damage bonus from your use of the Power Attack feat."

I interpret that to mean +2 per -1 taken with a one-handed weapon or +4 per -1 taken with a two-handed weapon for total Power Attack damage when using Leap Attack.

There is also no max to a Power Attack penalty other than the character's BAB. I'm not sure what "max 5" Dungeonmaester was referring to, possibly the Combat Expertise limit of no more than -5 to hit and +5 to AC.

Felix

Explorer
Grunj said:
There is also no max to a Power Attack penalty other than the character's BAB. I'm not sure what "max 5" Dungeonmaester was referring to, possibly the Combat Expertise limit of no more than -5 to hit and +5 to AC.
Or possibly the mechanism used in Neverwinter Knights, whereby Power Attack only and always took a -5 to hit in exchange for the proper bonus.

glass

(he, him)
jontherev said:
Semantics. I am calculating it the same as you.
Well duh! Semantics is 'the study of meaning' according to dictionary.com. What else would we be doing?

I've never quite got why people try to use 'well that's semantics' as a put down or dissmissal of an argument! By definition, any discussion of the meaning of words (such as in a rulebook, say) is semantics.

And ill-worded dismissals aside, they could quite easily have said that it doubled damage. They avoided doing so. Thereby avoiding the doubled-double rule.

glass.

jontherev

First Post
glass said:
Well duh! Semantics is 'the study of meaning' according to dictionary.com. What else would we be doing?

I've never quite got why people try to use 'well that's semantics' as a put down or dissmissal of an argument! By definition, any discussion of the meaning of words (such as in a rulebook, say) is semantics.

And ill-worded dismissals aside, they could quite easily have said that it doubled damage. They avoided doing so. Thereby avoiding the doubled-double rule.

glass.
According to dictionary.com the word "twice" is used in several different definitions of "double".:p
Again though, it was just semantics. I don't really want to get into a discussion of the difference between the words twice and double. We are on the same page and in agreement of how to calculate power attack, so quit bustin' my chops over using a general statement about doubling power attack damage. ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
jontherev said:
We are on the same page and in agreement of how to calculate power attack, so quit bustin' my chops over using a general statement about doubling power attack damage.

I think the point glass is making is that 'Power Attack damage' is not what is 'twiced' when using a one-handed weapon in two hands or a two-handed weapon. Power Attack damage is either a/ equal to the number you subtract from attack rolls, or b/ equal to twice the number you subtract from attack rolls. However it is calculated, the figure "Power Attack damage" has not yet been multiplied by anything; the only thing that has been multiplied at any point is the number subtracted frmo attack rolls.

Similarly, if I attack with a two-handed weapon, my Str bonus is multiplied by 1.5 before being added to my damage. My damage dealt at this point has not been multiplied by anything; therefore, when I score a critical and my damage dealt is doubled, the multiplication rule (x2 x2 = x3) does not come into effect, because I am multiplying something which has not yet been multiplied (damage dealt)... even though there was multiplication of another figure involved in calculating that total.

-Hyp.

jontherev

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
I think the point glass is making is that 'Power Attack damage' is not what is 'twiced' when using a one-handed weapon in two hands or a two-handed weapon. Power Attack damage is either a/ equal to the number you subtract from attack rolls, or b/ equal to twice the number you subtract from attack rolls. However it is calculated, the figure "Power Attack damage" has not yet been multiplied by anything; the only thing that has been multiplied at any point is the number subtracted frmo attack rolls.

Similarly, if I attack with a two-handed weapon, my Str bonus is multiplied by 1.5 before being added to my damage. My damage dealt at this point has not been multiplied by anything; therefore, when I score a critical and my damage dealt is doubled, the multiplication rule (x2 x2 = x3) does not come into effect, because I am multiplying something which has not yet been multiplied (damage dealt)... even though there was multiplication of another figure involved in calculating that total.

-Hyp.
That is correct. I used the term 'power attack damage' incorrectly.

Remove ads