• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Learning the rules what's the best way

Ariddrake

First Post
If anyone could give any suggestions I would really appreciate it. I only play dnd once a month and I'm constantly looking stuff up, I've got the basics down i.e tohit, movement, AoO, etc. But ariel combat, invisibility, negative levels, drowning, holy crap. Its alot to manage does anybody have any crib notes. My MCSE was easier to get. Thanks :)

Marimmar

First Post
Well, I have my rulebooks with me whenever I go to the toilet (it helps sitting down) or when going to bed. Just flip the book open somewhere and read the stuff you find. After a while, you'll have a general idea of what happens when a special situation arises.

Besides that, read the character class description, the race descriptions and any spells you can possibly cast. Don't forget to take a look at the feats you have and the Skills you ranked. Do not try to learn all rules, just try being knowledgable about the stuff your PC can do. Noone can remember all there is, but knowing your own character will help your DM as well, since he will not necessarily know all there is about certain classes. As a DM I hate it when my players say, 'I cast magic missile, what's it gonna do?' :(

~Marimmar

Ariddrake

First Post
Thanks for posting. The problem is I'm the DM and I come from more of a basic dnd background I came back to it with 3.0/3.5. I slow the game down when some player says he wants to wrestle with a goblin or jump in the lake with plate on. :(

IronWolf

blank
A lot of the items Marimmar mentioned will still apply. Pick up the book here and there and just flip to a section and read. Think less of memorizing all of it and more with familiarizing yourself with how skill checks in general are handled, etc. Get to know where things are in the books, when to turn to the PHB, when to turn to the DMG or even when to turn to the MM. Sometimes knowing where to look will do you more good than trying to memorize everything.

Wing it sometimes to keep from slowing the game AND then go back and look up the rules as written. For example, in the jumping into the lake with armor on you mentioned. If you don't know exactly how to handle it the first time it comes up, make a best guess. Think, "hey, armor and swimming can't be easy!" and set the DC check to what you think is appropriate at the time. Then after the game look it up on your time to see exactly how you should have handled it.

As long as you let your players know you may wing it in certain cases you should be fine. Just makes notes and at the beginning of the next session let the players know how you will be handling jumping in the lake with armor on from that point forward.

And finally, if you have the time and inclination, DM a PBeM. PBeM's by their nature are not for everyone and require a committment to keep going. But I also find as a PBeM DM it is a great way to reinforce the rules. I *always* have the time to look up a rule and do it right. This just helps make the rules more concrete in my head.

Hope some of these suggestions help. I am sure you will get many other good suggestions from these boards.

Zen

First Post
Well, coming to the boards is a good start. I'm in a similiar boat as you, and just this morning I learned that Intimidate can be used in combat to shake up opponents--something I had overlooked before.

--Z

Ariddrake

First Post
Intimidate... crap. How about casting a spell from a scroll with a higher level spell then you can cast. Someone should make somekind of DM certification (it would be cool) that the community could recognize-

DM - Adept - know the basics
DM - Master -
DM - Grand Master -

Just a thought

frankthedm

First Post
Play

It is the best way to learn the rules. Look it up as you go along if need be, or look it up after the fact so you know next time.

Henrix

Explorer
Well, there's the RPGA Herald level test you can take, if you wish. ;)

But learning the rules, I'd recommend the Rules of the Game article series on Wizards page.

And learn slowly by things happening! Start with level 1 characters and let it take it's time, learning a new rule every now and then. If you get it wrong just say that the next time you play, and explain how it should have been. (Try to err to the players benefit and you'll have them on your side, not against you!)

Is any of your players a rules lawyer? Try to get him interested in helping out with the rules, that way you'll both have opportunity to learn.

Hanging out here is a good idea, too. You can learn a lot of interesting snippets by reading what people ask and answer!

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
What my group did when 3E came out was to set aside a session or two to just run combats. We created characters specifically designed to use things like grappling, bull rush, etc. Then we ran fights, and when a rules questions came up, we looked it up, taking as long as we needed (as opposed to in a normal game, where we'd tend to make a ruling and move on).

Another thing you might want to consider is the Battle Box by FDG. It's got lots of cards with specific rules spelled out - grapple, etc. It's got some good reviews from folks on this site.

Henrix

Explorer
Using a scroll of higher level than you can safely use is a caster level check (d20 +caster level) against DC (scroll caster level +1).
All about magic items is in the DMG, where the magic items are.

Remove ads