Legacy of Death Part I: Most Infamous Danger

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
You decisively set sail for Borivostok, with Forge and the sailor working the riggings (athletics), Ghen helping with the navigation and preventing sea sickness (nature), and Buckthorn captining and doing a little of everything (mostly nature, with some perception and athletics) and Lucian…?

Days pass.

Buckthorn and Ghen realize a storm is on its way. And then there it is, as the icy cold winds pick up, you can see it, a great grey streaked with lightning chaos.

What do you do?

Briefly describe the actions you want to take and any related skill(s). Make the skill(s) check, if needed you can do more then one die roll at a time.

ecayford

First Post
Preparing for Battle

Forge stores his gear belowdecks and gets ready to follow Buckthorn's commands. He'll ties a rope around his body and secure it so that he can get to wherever he needs to. If there's anything on the deck that we don't need that can be put below decks, he stores it away. He will carry only his +1 handaxe.

He'll take 10 on any athletics or perception checks prior to the storm hitting (22 Athletics and 20 Perception)

When the storm hits, his Altletics, Perception and Endurance checks, respectively below

kaltfeuer

First Post
Nature to know how to avoid being doused by the rolling sea and perception to watch the waves and the clouds and prepare for directionality of the storm.

As the storm draws closer, I'll use a Speak With Nature ritual. My boots allow me to walk on water for up to 5 minutes. I'll look for nearby creatures before casting the ritual, and walk to where they are (walrus, seal, polar bear, dolphins, etc). I'll ask the creatures where the calmest area is during a storm so we can take shelter in a cove or whatever. I'll augment the ritual using my Speak With Spirits power.

Buckthorn

First Post
Buckthorn will suggest that the rest of the party tie ropes around their waists and secure themselves to the ship. "Nothing to worry about. Best to just be prudent."

He will then ask the sailor if he is familiar with the coasts off these waters. Since the crew had been in the habit of stopping and anchoring for the night, Buckthorn assumes they are not too far from the coast. His first preference is to make for the coast ti position the ship in an area where it can better ride out the storm. If they are not too far from the coast, he would suggest they cautionally approach the coast, avoiding areas where the seas are particularly rough and also any signs of waves breaking over shoals or rock. He would look for a wide harbor where they might weather the storm. He would not try to approach any rocky coasts or any narrow inlets or harbors. If they are too far from the coast, he'd simply turn into the wind as there'd be nothing else for it but to trim the sails and plow ahead.

Perception check to look for safe harbor / avoid rocks.

Nature check re prudence of breaking for the shore or plowing ahead

Athletics check (just in case)

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Be sure to take a look at Forge and Ghen rolls if you haven’t…sheesh..Still, everyone but Forge forgot to make the Endurance one…

Ghen, the spirits of nature are with you, as you find dolphins swimming with the ship. They confirm what your wild lore tales you: sailing to shore or an island could be a disaster if the ship is hurled into it before some cove can be found. You can try to skirt the storm, but given how fast its coming, the safest thing to do: sail right into the heart of it!

Arctic storm
Polar_low.jpg

With Forge’s heroic, nigh, incredible feats on the deck, jacklines are strung, hitches tied, possessions stowed, sails shortened, and the ship kept on a terrifying course into the storm!

Its bone chilling mix of rain and snow as the ship seems to move every which way, Forge shakes it off, as for the others... Nor is anyone hit by the lighting that occasionally touches the masts.

Then it suddenly becomes calm, even as the storm rages around you.

At least until the ship starts to rise up suddenly…rise really really high…

Lets do another round, be sure to make the endurance checks, and whatever additional skill(s).

Buckthorn

First Post
Buckthorn nods as Ghen relays the warning about trying to find a cove and grimly stares ahead and they plunge headlong into the wild storm. "I've seen and survived far worse," he lies, trying to reassure his comrades.

Buckthorn will double check the rope tying himself to the boat.

He'll continue to make nature and athletics checks to try to steer the ship as best he can. And endurance. He'll also roll bluff for his lie.

Last edited:

ecayford

First Post
Forge roars into the face of the storm, reaffirmed once more in his faith in Joroth, the god of rage and storms!

Behold his might!

Remove ads