Legacy of the Silver Dragon: Chapter 1 (Chickens, Demons, and a Missing Girl)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
"Though there *should* be someone set to guard it," admits his friend, somewhat reluctantly. Stellan has always been the most adventurously-minded member of their group, it is true... And there is a certain terrifying rightness to it: guardians at the gate, a keep proud on the border of town (even - and perhaps especially? - a border whose existence none even suspected)? "What do you think, master Stonehand?"

Goldhammer

First Post
A very large, bulky woman enters The Half and Halfling, dressed head to toe in plate armour like a iron sumo wrestler. She bears the symbol of an unknown deity on her large metal belly and her helmet is shaped like a tall castle tower, complete with it's own little flag. But judging by the grim expression on her face, she finds nothing funny about her appearance. The ground shakes as she marches towards the bar. "A jug of your best dwarven ale and elven wine." She orders from the barkeep in a thick accent. "And something to eat if you got it. My journey has left me with hunger as fearsome as pack of werewolfs."

The huge woman then notices the group in corner discussing their homestead. "I could not help but overhear, but you are planning on building a fortress, Ja?" She asks.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
The dwarf only nodded. "Perhaps I could get some coin to establish a small temple, but I doubt there would be enough followers of the god of the unknown for the dwarven Fathers to agree in giving me much. Of course the temple would have quarters available. " The dwarf is interrupted by the juggernaut of a woman. "A fortress? Not so much, my rotund lady. Although I would like to see what human an elves consider a fortress. So far I've only seen wooden shacks and stones piled one onto another, nothing that I would call, not even a stronghold, much less a fortress."

Goldhammer

First Post
"Ha, then you have never seen a fortress of Malborka." The rotund lady snorts. "Our keeps works of art made strongest stone and metal. They are wide and thick and completely impenetrable! No enemy would ever stop foot in one. But they always have such good food to eat. Temples of Malborka always have something built into them like bakery or brewery or farmland where you can by fresh fruit. Never go hungry in the walls of Malborka's fortresses. Remember one temple that had own fishery. Served strange squid thing. Lots of eyes. Very good with lemon sauce however...."

The woman seems to go on and on until she notices she's rambling. "Forgive me, I am Sister Wall-Sentry Beatrix Merriburg of the Sisterhood of Malborka, at your service."

Binder Fred

"Antares," blinks the slender elf sitting to the dwarf's left, somewhat nonplused at the interruption. He wears a set of rather dusty starry robes, the green-gemmed circlet of an apprentice mage circling his forehead under long locks of bi-coloured hair <You can see a picture of him here :)>. "This is -ah- Muzdin Stonehand," a fluid gesture towards that worthy, "and Stellan... And master Stonehand is right," for once is somehow also implied, seemingly more out of long habit than anything else: by the circle under his eyes - and the scratches and dirt visible on all of them - the day has obviously been long and eventful! "I fear we were in truth discussing the building - or perhaps the outright buying, should we come into more funds? - of but a single house to start as headquarters for our Company? It would not- That is - It would be set in the middle of town, if we follow Stellan's sharp suggestion, so fortifications, as such..." Except maybe down? Do such things exist? (He is- not entirely sure they will be able to soundly sleep in that place, now that he thinks of it, forever knowing what they now irrevocably knew...)

In the real world he is still frowning ever so slightly up at her, wide emerald eyes obviously wondering what it is such a colourful person could possibly want with them.

Goldhammer

First Post
"A man's home is his castle." Beatrix tells Antares. "And with blessing of Malborka, it is great castle." But before Beatrix can continue to explain the benefits of worshiping her goddess, the sound of the innkeeper's bell informs Beatrix her order is up. "forgive me, but I must go give thanks to Malborka." She says, hurrying to the diner table.

In no time flat, the heavyweight priestess had finished her meal, the plate now completely spotless. "Very good. Seconds, please. " Beatrix asks, giving the innkeeper a gold coin. "Is most of your food imported? Forgive me for being the nosy, but I seeing many caravans, but not many farmlands. Is thinking you are getting your food from other places, ja?"

"Have friends who export food. You buy from them, you always get good deals for good food. Would not be so big if their food was not so good, ja?"
she adds with a laugh, finishing off her second jug of ale.

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Antares, Muzdin and Stellan

"What an... abrupt person," ponders the elf once she is safely out of earshot, head tilted in consideration. "Very centered on her loves," he adds, in all justice to her -- she had seemed... positively deflated when the true sparsity of their construction plans was revealed (one could almost, in fact, be sorry he had not intended to build a fortress all the while; just so such focused enthousiasm might yet exist, and perdure...). Which is neither here nor there: "Have either of you heard of this Malboka before, per chance?"

<Response Stellan and/or Muzdin?>

<Assuming not:

"Well then." Freed from immediate fear for his life (and finances), his thoughts are now free to turn towards the road ahead: "How attached are you to ale and rest this glooming?" he lightly asks his companions, not pushing, though he himself has not truly touched his ale yet. "I ask for as was mentioned in the barracks, I had hoped to consult with Teacher Dysare later today -- on matters pale and ringing, to name but a pair? Yet if you would prefer, meetings could be delayed until the morn... or our tasks split if either does not care to attend by my side? There is still the matter of the gems to pursue, after all... And perhaps that of headquarters as well, if there is time?" And one should really inform brother Myst of their doings, 'tis true... (A bit of a guilty pang there, for they did not exactly part on the best of terms, the two of them -- quite unusually so...)

OOC: What would you guys prefer (and I include Gambler in that question as well)? As I see it we can all go to consult Dysare together (either tonight or tomorrow morning), or we can split up, also either tonight or tomorrow morning, with Antares going to consult and Muzdin going for the gem info. Preferences?

gambler1650

Explorer
OOC: I don't see that Beatrix left the table yet... But we can assume that the other group stayed after she left so that Antares' comments are still 'out of earshot'.

Stellan looks up and smiles as the large woman appears at their table, and lifts a mug in greeting. His second, and already mostly empty. "Welcome to Ascadar, oh most robust lady!" After that however he falls silent again, the events of the past day still seeming to weigh on him some.

OOC: ]I don't have a preference myself, but let's move on to the next IC explorations. Thanks! Also, Whizbang Dustyboots, where is Bosco going to be tonight?

Goldhammer

First Post
OOC: ]I don't have a preference myself, but let's move on to the next IC explorations. Thanks! Also, Whizbang Dustyboots, where is Bosco going to be tonight?

OOC: I'm happy to move on to tomorrow. Beatrix will be spending the night asking about the town, figuring out what sort of food the townsfolk like, trying to figure out what sort of business the sisterhood should set up. That is unless someone wants to start a conversation with her or ask about her goddess. She'll join the others when they met with the guard captain. She knows that helping the guard is the best way to get Malborka accepted into the town.

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
OOC: I'm happy to move on to tomorrow. Beatrix will be spending the night asking about the town, figuring out what sort of food the townsfolk like, trying to figure out what sort of business the sisterhood should set up. That is unless someone wants to start a conversation with her or ask about her goddess. She'll join the others when they met with the guard captain. She knows that helping the guard is the best way to get Malborka accepted into the town.

OOC: One thing Beatrix will quickly learn is that food is more a necessity than a luxury in Ascadar, which will make her questions somewhat... confusing, to many people she talks to. It will become clear that there's something of a lack of meat in the town, most of it being chickens with some pork as there aren't many herders in the area. Food tends to be potatoes and vegetables with a fair bit of eggs and fruit, and a bit of meat. Most of the miners and loggers have little input and while they ask about beef, their concern seems to be how much it is likely to cost. One young woman, part of a nature goddess's faith gets offended if beef is brought up, saying that cows destroy the intended beauty and wholeness of nature. Those with more money, (council members for instance) have a bit more interest and generally would just like something OTHER than chicken for their meat.

Remove ads