Legacy of the Silver Dragon - Day 2 (Interlude)

Binder Fred

3 rings to bind them all!
Which running messenger is Antares referring to?
He's refering to the goblin that escaped back into the bush during their first battle on the hill. (At this point he believes Beatrix smooshed her own goblin to death.)

[Barracks]
Firstly he tries to get a sample of the poison the goblin used on their arrows from the militia, "That it may be analyzed and perhaps its origins divined?"

And, down to a discrete whisper: "Ah... What, in truth, happened to the third sleeping goblin, if I may?"

[Dysare's abode]
"It's just a suggestion, but if you really want a quick turn around on the question of where the poison is from, I can't promise to be as quick as you may want."
"Of a certainty," automatically answers the young elf. "Anything you might do will be deeply appreciated, Teacher -- certainly by my own self, and others as well in the shortest of order, I would wager." As to the poison though... "As to this hermit, I do not know if my companions, and the urgency of other matters..." He suddenly frowns though, as a memory manifests itself: "This Sal, was he not the one I heard of but recently? He who holds maps of the mountain in exchange for certain herbs in trade?"

OOC: Rumour #6 in our very first thread! :) Knew I remembered that hermit from somewhere.

Although, being as she returned so recently to town, perhaps Teacher Dysare has not had time to hear of such? And, certainly, poison notwithstanding, a detailed map of the region near Eliasel's mountain, where rests the goblin village, might be of almost immediate use to them on this very trip they now attempt...

"I will propose it to my companions," he assures her with a nod.

On his way out though, he notices lavender leaves a drying and Lord Mikon's mention of beasts and their hunger comes back to haunt him... "Ah... Would you perhaps be willing to part with some of this dried wolfsbane, Teacher? I would be most grateful, considering whence we venture?"

OOC: If he can, Antares will acquire 10 portions of Wolsbane for 1gp total (he's hoping it will provide protection against plain wolves as well as the intended werewolves:)).

While on the subject, let's say that some of the "odds and ends" he put into his backpack included an elven flute (5 gp) and that he'll swing by Jorgen's general store to buy a bottle of ink (1 gp), a whole slew of stoppered sample containers (in glass if he has them, clay otherwise, ??? gp) and a hooded lantern (7 gp), seeing as how the last one he wielded proved so very providential. :D

[The Bracegirdle residence]
The smile she gives as he mentions alternate lodgings is extremely genuine however, and then says, "Of course. You may leave whatever you like."
"My thank yous," bows Antares.

"Yes. He did send you a note. Umm.. Here." She finds a table where the note has been placed, though apparently it found its way to the floor once or twice by some smudging of dirt, and... food? She hands it to Antares,

who opens it with some trepidation, nerves suddenly strumming through his narrow chest.

To my son,
It would be my pleasure to have you receive more of my wisdom than you have previously done. My door will always be open for you to discuss such matters. Simply let me know the day before you wish to come, and I will make sure my time is freed.
Your father.

Antares breathes out, some of the tension releasing into the air: he had feared... But that can probably wait.

"Ah..." He flips the missive over and, extracting writing supplies back out from his things, quickly writes:

To my Sire,
My heart rejoices at this welcome news.
At the behest of council-lady Glasia I and our adventuring company now venture forth away from our ancestral tower for a journey of some few days, perhaps a full week, but I will in deed send such words as are required upon my earliest return.

Signed in wisdom on this 138th day of the Dawning Year:
Your growing son,
Mialucee.

"Might I trouble one of your offsprings for a return journey, Goodwife of wisdom and infinite patience?" he asks after finishing the last decorative sweep of his high elven signature with a flourish.

OOC: For the usual 1 sp donation, of course. :)

Last edited:

Binder Fred

Hey there [MENTION=11033]gambler1650[/MENTION]. Just to confirm, does this mean we get to decide the guiding-goblin's name (Antares originaly asked about it HERE)? If so, how about StoneBurner, Glarmlok in his own toungue?

What about his question as to where the third goblin he put to sleep went (as there are apparently only two in the cage right now)? See one post above for the question itself.

EDIT= How much should he deduct for the "various stoppered sample containers" he bought, by the way?

gambler1650

Explorer
OOC: Barracks - To Antares' question

The goblin blinks at him. "Don't know! Opened my eyes. Only me and Breek here! There were three? Maybe another cage?"

OOC: The name sounds fine to me! And deduct 5 sp for the various sample containers...

Binder Fred

"A... very astute theory," agrees the elf, uncomfortably noting that, quite obviously, goblin hearing is quite acute indeed! More than he believed possible... "Is he correct, perchance? Do you know?" he asks the militia-man present.

What if some ill had befallen him at the hands of the guards, he nervously wonders, suddenly quite conscious of the heartbeats thudding within the cage of his chest, what with one of those very guards present in the room right now? What could he do about such a thing? What should he do?

They had, indeed, it was undeniable, attacked the guard's captain, a good man by all accounts -- if under the spell of false words and trafficked evidence. What part then vengeance, what part justice true -- if perhaps overly harsh? Is there, he belatedly wonders, such a thing as rightful vengeance, if thoughtful justice were to later agree?

Antares suddenly regrets so neglecting the dry thought-builders of old in favour of more mystical or excitingly historical pursuits. (It isn't as though he didn't have access to their innumerable works, down in his sire's libraries...)

Last edited:

gambler1650

Explorer
The guard shakes his head, "I don't know. I came here after the goblins were put in the cages. No one said anything about a third. In all the confusion, maybe one of them woke up and escaped before they were bound?"

Binder Fred

Which is, at the least, a more comforting explanation than what he feared?

"Might you look into it, if you please?" he asks of the guard nonetheless, a young fellow with a scraggly russet beard just beginning to come in. "For of a certainty there were three at the beginning?" If only he had more time, he would- but clearly, he does not.

OOC: I'm good with this. Thanks. :)

Remove ads