• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legality of AL adventures on Dungeon Masters Guild

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Hey admin-folk!

Seems like WotC has now published nearly all D&D AL adventures on the new Dungeon Masters Guild web-store (the only ones that appear to be missing are the Epics, as well as the admin-specific custom adventures just rolling out).

If I purchase a module from this store, can I run that module in an AL-legal home game?

--
Pauper

Majoru Oakheart

Adventurer
Wizards' announcement today of the Dungeon Masters Guild is exciting and will offer D&D players around the world more opportunities to play the game we all love. It also likely left you with a lot of questions about how this will impact your online, home, store, and convention based D&D Adventurers League games. In the coming days there will be further clarifications from Wizards about how Dungeon Masters Guild works with the D&D Adventurers League and what you can expect with adventures for season 4.

Pauper

Saw that, as well as the note that Mearls and Chris Lindsay (the latter notably being a member of the AL team at WotC) will be doing a Reddit AMA on the Guild on Friday.

Was just curious if we could get a more official answer right away, or if we were waiting for the Big Guns to release the info.

--
Pauper

kalani

First Post
Wizards' announcement today of the Dungeon Masters Guild is exciting and will offer D&D players around the world more opportunities to play the game we all love. It also likely left you with a lot of questions about how this will impact your online, home, store, and convention based D&D Adventurers League games. In the coming days there will be further clarifications from Wizards about how Dungeon Masters Guild works with the D&D Adventurers League and what you can expect with adventures for season 4.
This is the official answer at this time. More information will be coming

1891001_10208454864799175_943561244342118787_n.jpg

Last edited:

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I just hope that this doesn't mean that I have to buy the PDFs for all of the AL material that I run at my FLGS.

I am hoping so as well, but with them taking down the Season 1 and Season 2 modules and them already appearing for sale online.....we may already have some insight into where this is going.

Steve_MND

First Post
I am hoping so as well, but with them taking down the Season 1 and Season 2 modules and them already appearing for sale online.....we may already have some insight into where this is going.

Pure speculation, of course, but they might be thinking about a model more similar to that of Pathfinder's Society which (IIRC; it's been ages since I last played that) you bought the individual mods for a couple of bucks each and then you could run them as often as you wanted. I don't mind that, as the money for all this has to come from somewhere, but the bar is raised significantly when you start charging people for a product as opposed to just offering it for free.

If so, that and the rating system they have implemented on the DMGuild site may provide some... interesting feedback to Wizards on the quality of some of the stuff out there.

Tyranthraxus

Explorer
I would hope the money flows back into Spellchecks/ error finding and possibly map construction. Ive no issue paying for scenarios to run ( as Ive done it in the past with Pathfinder). I still hope that this does not allow for AL expeditions games to be run outside of the store , however waiting for the official word is the way to go here.

Pauper

Pure speculation, of course, but they might be thinking about a model more similar to that of Pathfinder's Society which (IIRC; it's been ages since I last played that) you bought the individual mods for a couple of bucks each and then you could run them as often as you wanted.

That was my thought as well, and I feel like moving the AL adventures to an online store and still requiring in-store play would be a step backward for AL; based on context, the suggestion is that Season 4 adventures will only be available from the DM Guild.

Allowing free-play would mess a bit somewhat with what AL has been doing with Dragon+ over the past few months, but I think Dragon+ could still find some amount of value-add to AL without being the sole source of free-play mods.

If so, that and the rating system they have implemented on the DMGuild site may provide some... interesting feedback to Wizards on the quality of some of the stuff out there.

This will probably be one of the biggest advantages of the new system -- particularly for new mods, feedback will be quick and public. The quality of the adventures has been pretty high, IMO, especially for 'free' adventures, but adding a minor charge is going to increase some folks' expectations (including mine).

--
Pauper

Remove ads