• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legend of the Five Rings 4th Edition

karlindel

First Post
I had a friend visiting from out of town last week. As we are both roleplayers, I prepped games using a few different systems that I'd wanted to try out for awhile. The stand out game of the week was Legend of the Five Rings (an oriental campaign setting/system). I had two adventures prepared, and he and the other player enjoyed them so much that they asked me to run more. So I pulled some adventures from the Heroes of Rokugan II: Champions of the Sapphire Throne campaign (a previous L5R Living Campaign, the adventures are available for free on their web site).

During the adventures, the PCs (among other things) rescued a kidnap victim from yakuza, helped a ghost come to terms with her former fiance marrying someone else, retrieved a stolen katana that contained a vengeful spirit, and solved a murder mystery. I was very pleased with the quality of the adventures, as they included numerous NPCs for roleplaying, noncombat solutions to most problems, and political maneuvering. My players were equally pleased, and we are going to continue playing it as an online campaign.

I'm curious to hear of other people's experiences with Legend of the Five Rings. I also thought people might be interested to learn about the large number of free adventures available for it, many of which could be repurposed for use in other oriental settings.

Moogleproof

First Post
I'd very much like to try out the system, but in my circles there aren't too many others who are that excited about it. If I bought it I could run it, and could probably get a game going, but it sounds like a setting I'd very much like to be a player in. I'm afraid the GM responsibility would fall on me (that I'd mind), and I reckon in a few years I'll just give up my dream (...okay, slight hyperbole here) of being a player in 5 Rings and just buy the thing and run it to group after I've convinced them to give it a try.

But it's good to hear of others' experiences that its a quality product. I'd like to also hear more if anyone has tried it.

Treebore

First Post
Legend of the 5 Rings has been one of my 3 most favorite systems for nearly 8 years now. From combat, to investigation, to even political intrigue in the Winter Courts it is a great system to play, and not too bad to run.

I like a system that makes you think before you enter combat. IF you don't think, you likely die.

Remove ads