• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legend of the Samurai

Masada

First Post
Samurai have long been attempted in RPG's. Since a frequent poster/developer is working on such a resource, I thought it would be interesting to capture a "users community" request list of What Makes a Samurai.

The essential Samurai (imo)
  • Honor system
  • Heritage system
  • "Rank" system (placement within a hierarchy if not Honor based)
  • Detailed Kantana rules/feats/types
  • Alternate weapons
  • Ki powers
  • Artistic pursuits that add to your character ability (i.e. A Samurai with excellent oragami skills gains an honor bonus or something)
  • Court skills
  • Unit combat/Troop training

I'm sure there's much more.

ragboy

Explorer
Masada said:
There's a ton more. I hate to pimp other stuff, but Sengoku is probably the definitive resource for the era in roleplaying. I know the designers are trying to get a second edition out in Action! and d20 systems, but they're kinda stalled now. I'd take a look at the main rulebook for inspiration.

Masada said:
Samurai have long been attempted in RPG's. Since a frequent poster/developer is working on such a resource, I thought it would be interesting to capture a "users community" request list of What Makes a Samurai.

The essential Samurai (imo)
  • Honor system
  • Heritage system
  • "Rank" system (placement within a hierarchy if not Honor based)
  • Detailed Kantana rules/feats/types
  • Alternate weapons
  • Ki powers
  • Artistic pursuits that add to your character ability (i.e. A Samurai with excellent oragami skills gains an honor bonus or something)
  • Court skills
  • Unit combat/Troop training

All, really, but remember that the code of honor isn't a "class ability" (it affects honor, not yours kills) and while a samurai was expected to write poetry and make origami, a lot didn't. If you're a rough samurai from a war-torn region, you wouldn't have had time for that. And if you're not, maybe you just don't like it or aren't good at it.

Ki should be strictly optional, IMO. Some people like non-magical characters.

Masada

First Post
I've always felt a great mental focus was part of the eastern asian cultures. The Samurai were warriors first, vassels of their lord and highly disciplined minds. So however you'd portray it--oragami, bonzai, meditation.

Vigilance

Explorer
I always liked the original OA in which each class had a set of Ki abilities all its own.

Given that this is a D&D game and magic will definitely play a part... I am considering going in that direction.

Chuck

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads