Pathfinder 2E [Legendary Games] Tuesday is Pathfinder 2E Day - with 100% more Kineticists!

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
At long last, the Kineticist class is here for Pathfinder Second Edition! One of the most popular classes to emerge from the latter days of Pathfinder RPG, the kineticist masters the elements like none other, bringing in some of the flavor of the old 3.5 warlock class but in a fantastic new package all its own. Legendary Kineticist: Second Edition brings you not only a full 20-level base class but also over 100 class feats for kineticists across 7 elemental specializations, each with their own unique powers and abilities. Create a stalwart geokineticist with unmatched defensive prowess, blast your enemies to ash as a pyrokineticist, streak across the battlefield around as a bolt of living lightning as an electrokineticist, and so much more, including multiclassing options, magic items, and a sample iconic kineticist to show off what this system can do! Grab your copy of this incredible class book today at the Legendary Games webstore, Open Gaming Store, Paizo, and DrivethruRPG!

Plus keep an eye out for even more amazing Pathfinder Second Edition content coming your way soon, including our Second Edition Spell Cards master edition with spells from 3rd-10th level and incredible adventures like the barbaric fey wilderness of Cold Mountain and the birthplace of cosmic horror in The Assimilation Strain!

If you love kineticists for all systems, you're also in luck, because you can pick up the mind-blowing 280-page Ultimate Kineticist Compendium for Pathfinder RPG, and coming soon the kineticist archetype for Starfinder RPG! You can master the elements and more for your favorite game system and truly Make Your Game Legendary!

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Color me intrigued; I adore the PF1 kineticist despite its occasional...wonkiness.

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
Color me intrigued; I adore the PF1 kineticist despite its occasional...wonkiness.

It is a class that absolutely is wonky and I didn't love it at first for just that reason, but I warmed up to it and our team made some amazing expansions for the PF1 version of the class, and I think it's fair to say that the PF2 version here retains all of the coolness of the original but has polished and sanded down some of the wonkiest parts of it to make something that's easier to play but still really shines.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
It is a class that absolutely is wonky and I didn't love it at first for just that reason, but I warmed up to it and our team made some amazing expansions for the PF1 version of the class, and I think it's fair to say that the PF2 version here retains all of the coolness of the original but has polished and sanded down some of the wonkiest parts of it to make something that's easier to play but still really shines.
Did you retain the burn mechanic or some facsimile? Not a deal-breaker either way, just curious.

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
Did you retain the burn mechanic or some facsimile? Not a deal-breaker either way, just curious.

There is still a limiting mechanic, but it's not the same as the burn mechanic of the PF1 kineticist. I pinged Vanessa with the thread link so hopefully she can swing by and provide more details!

Xeviat

Hero
What's funny is that I was thinking of making a class to do something like this, having not heard about the Kineticist from Pathfinder 1. I only ran into the Kineticist last week (I hadn't really played Pathfinder), and then now it's already updated! I'm super excited. Going to download it now.

LegendaryGames

Adventurer
Publisher
What's funny is that I was thinking of making a class to do something like this, having not heard about the Kineticist from Pathfinder 1. I only ran into the Kineticist last week (I hadn't really played Pathfinder), and then now it's already updated! I'm super excited. Going to download it now.

Excellent. Hope you have a blast playing it (pun intended)!

Xeviat

Hero
@LegendaryGames , here's the things that stood out to me. Most are errors, some are balance thoughts, others are questions on wordings. (I'll also email it).

I do want to preface this by saying that I'm very much looking forward to running a game with this!

Legendary Kineticist notes

*The lack of Weapon Specialization seems odd. Even the Wizard has it. My concern is that, without it, the “Weapon Infusion” infusion isn’t really worth it. This isn’t so much of an error, just an odd omission.

*PG 14. Bold missing on “Heightened (7th)” under Cone Infusion.

*PG 15. Uneccessary italics on “You add the sonic trait and deal 1d6 additional sonic damage with your kinetic blast.” under Thundering Infusion.

*PG 15. Weapon Infusion doesn’t seem to work. The Kineticist isn’t an expert until 11th, but they were an expert in their kinetic blast at 7th, and they never get better. So, they’re often 2 points behind in attack, and end up 4 points behind in attack. Is it meant to act as a spell attack? Remember, Kinetic Blasts can be used in melee at no penalty.

Level
Kinetic Blast (standard)
Weapon Infusion
1d6+Con
1d6+Con
2d6+Con
2d6+Con
3d6+Con
2d6+Con +1 ability
4d6+Con
2d6+Con +1 ability
5d6+Con
2d6+Con +2 abilities
6d6+Con
3d6+Con +2 abilities
7d6+Con
3d6+Con +2 abilities
8d6+Con
3d6+Con +3 abilities
9d6+Con
3d6+Con +3 abilities
10d6+Con
4d6+Con +3 abilities

I suppose using your blast as a weapon allows you to make multiple attacks with it. You can’t make a blast attack and then a weapon attack, so that stacking is blocked. Depending on your Con mod, there are points where two attacks with the weapon infusion will be better than the blast if you’re attacking one target (otherwise, the area of effect blasts are going to be better). Early levels, multiple attacks with the weapon infusion do very solid damage at the expense of using multiple actions and dealing with attack penalties. Later levels, though, it falls behind. Weapons deal less damage than cantrips because weapons have access to magic properties, getting extra dice, and weapon users have weapon specialization for extra bonuses. Past early levels, I’m not seeing the value of this infusion. Am I missing a way this is meant to be used? Perhaps it should at least be considered a spell attack so the attack bonus scales. Or is this meant for multiclassers to use?

It stacks with Energize Weapon, but that requires a feat for another +1d6 damage and 2 actions if you end up having to use it at the start of the fight.

*PG 17. Cloud Infusion uses the term “concentration (up to 1 minute)”; that’s a 5E D&D term, not a PF2 term. The equivalent would be “sustained (up to 1 minute)”; was that the intent?

*PG 18. Aura Infusion uses the same “concentration (up to 1 minute)” wording. Should be “sustained (up to 1 minute)”.

*PG 19. Less of an error and more of a clarification; is “Wall Infusion” supposed to have a duration, or is it one and done? The name “wall” made me think this was for making walls, not just using the wall as an AoE shape.

*PG 19. How is “Disintegrating Infusion” supposed to work? If you hit, they make a basic Fortitude save. Then what? It looks like you copied the language from the Disintegrate spell, which has a high damage roll (12d10 instead of 12d6+Con). It also scales at +2d10 for each +1 level after that, so it will get very high. The way this is worded, It’s an attack roll. If you hit, they get a save for half damage. If you reduce them to 0 HP, they’re disintegrated. So, you’re giving them the chance to take half damage, but you still need to roll an attack to hit? Except for dealing with rare cases with monsters that keep getting up at 0 hp, so you need to disintegrate it to kill it, this infusion appears to have no combat value. It’s useful for destroying objects if you have Force, but the fire version seems to do little of value.

*PG 19. Not an error, just a comment: “Force Hook Infusion” seems way too high for what it does. Seems like other elements could have been able to do this; aether, air, water, and earth all make sense for it.

*PG 20. How much HP does the “Earthen Shield” have? Also, the “Shield Block” ability should have been listed here.

*PG 21-22. It looks like all of the text was bolded.

*PG 21. Not an error, just a comment: “Elemental Sculptor” makes me realize there’s no way to quickly move one’s elemental matter from one place to another. The pyrokineticist appears to lack an ability to start fires without using kinetic blast as well.

*PG 21. Balance comment: is it intentional that Energize Weapon feels like it’s far more useful when used on the party warrior’s weapon than your own?

*PG 21. Is Icewalker’s air walk ability limited by the height of wall of ice (It can only be 10 feet high)? Or is this like Iceman’s ramp? How long can it be? How high can it go? What angle can it be positioned at? How long does it stay? Or is it only 60 feet long and up to 10 feet high, like “wall of ice”?

*PG 22. Was it intentional that “Kinetic Heal” scales weaker than “Lay on Hands”? When used for healing, “Lay on Hands” heals 6 hp per spell level. “Kinetic Heal” is Con mod + 1d6 hp per spell level, so it’s average is likely equal as a 1st level spell, but then “Lay on Hands” runs away. Yes, “Kinetic Heal” can be used at range, but “Lay on Hands” also has the HP bonus feature. Just seems odd.

*PG 23. “Kinetic Awe” says “you create a loud and obvious display of elemental might”, but then it says Demoralize loses the audio trait and gains the visual trait. If it’s loud, shouldn’t it keep the audio trait? Or is this because the Kineticist isn’t the one making the sound and the target doesn’t need to hear it for it to work? Seems like the sound is a part of the fearsome nature of it.

*PG 23. Is it intentional that “Extreme Range” entirely overrides “Extended Range”? Since “Extended Range” isn’t a prerequisite (which I’d do), either you’ll get people starting with “Extended Range” and then retraining it to another 1st level feat when they pick up XX, or people will just skip it and wait. “Extreme Range” is a huge increase in range, feels a little too powerful to not have a feat prerequisite.

*PG 23. Balance comment: “Playing with Fire” adds +1 damage per spell level to your fire spells, but has a chance to hurt you. “Blue Flame” comes 2 levels later and is a +1 damage per spell level increase over “Fire Blast”, with no chance to hurt you. Sure, they stack, and “Playing with Fire” applies to other spells, it just seems weird. (Blue flame should really be like Positive energy damage, or something different, that would be cool; no other element is hard limited to one damage type like that without having to take expanded element; at least air and water can take “slashing blast”; the searing flame feat lets you ignore resistance, but not immunity, so you’re still shut down by immunity if you want to be a pyrokineticist and not grab lightning or something).

*PG 25. “Jolting Step” is functionally invalidated by “Electric Slide”, isn’t it? Why step when you can teleport? Like the others mentioned here, since “Jolting Step” isn’t a prerequisite, it will just get retrained away.

*PG 25. It reads like “Expand Element” might not grant the medium and heavy armor proficiencies from cold’s elemental defense; is that intentional? Do you gain the other cantrip from the Elemental Conduit, or just the kinetic blast? Also, you call out that you cannot select the Force elemental conduit, which is another feat at the same level, but you don’t call out not being able to take Metal Conduit.

*PG 27. Is “Magnetism” limited to up and down, like levitate, or did you intend to be able to move it horizontally as well? If so, at what speed?

*PG 29. Balance comment: “Swift as the Wind” doesn’t make you any faster in combat. It’s helpful for allies, but using your action to gain +10 speed on your subsequent moves is less speed than using your action to move 25 feet. Seems odd.

*PG 30-31. That bolding thing happened again.

*PG 30. Wording comment. “Elemental Shield” implies a protective shield, like “earthen shield”, not a retributive attack.

*PG 31. How does “blade whirlwind” interact with your multi-attack penalty? Just in case someone has haste or celerity or something that gives them an extra action for an attack.

*PG 32. Forgot the formatting on “Wind Manipulator”, it gets lost under “Supercharge”. Also, for the second part after “instead”, are you able to use gust of wind with a range equal to your air blast, or is it a sphere with you at the center with a radius of your air blast? “All creatures in your air blast range” sounds like everyone X distance from you, where X is your air blast range, and that’s not very helpful; you’ll hit your allies definitely.

*PG 32. “Aquabody” partially invalidates “Waterdancer”, but doesn’t require it. That seems odd.

*PG 33. Balance comment: Mobile Gathering seems weak to be limited to once per minute. Plenty of other feats let you do two specific actions in one. I can’t imagine taking it.

*PG 33. “Body of Air” is largely invalidated by “wings of air”, but doesn’t require it. That seems odd. Also, Is it intentional that “wings of air” overrides “Kinetic Leap” without requiring it? Also, “flight equal to your speed” is really, really, really slow, especially since there’s no Run action in Pathfinder 2, but you’re just following the format of the “fly” spell.

*PG 34. Is “Cryokinetic Stasis” supposed to paralyze the target? As written, there’s no condition that reduces their speed or actions. They just get a protective shield of ice.

*PG 35. “Windblown Stance” also invalidates “body of air” if you have “wings of air”. Looking back, I’m noticing that the general Pathfinder 2 rules do this, like with the refocusing feats. It just seems odd design.

*PG 37. How is the “chain infusion … with unlimited range” supposed to work with “unbridled lightning”? Chain infusion loses a die of damage each time it jumps to a different target; can you use this to jump to as many as you want? The line could certainly hit a lot of targets, but chain needs some explanation. (This feat is really cool, though, and totally deserving of a level 20 feat).

*PG 40. Text color on Telekinetic Gift and Stabilize Posture titles are black instead of red.

General Comments: It seems odd that Air and Electricity don’t have feats to give them increased speed early. Water gets +10 speed from Waterdancer at level 6. Sure, there’s other ways to boost your speed, but anyone can take those. Air and Electricity feel like they should get something special.

Remove ads