Legends and Lore 11/15/2011 - Out of Bounds

Anselyn

Explorer
As in? :
The rules are not the sum total of the game. The game is larger than that. Breaking the rules, circumventing the rules, or ignoring the rules does not take you out of the game. The game encompasses that type of play. It’s built upon it, in fact. So why shouldn’t the design of the game also be bigger than the rules? Why shouldn’t those kind of assumptions be taken into account? It puts the responsibility back in the hands of the players, rather than the DM or the designer. Success or failure lies within their own hands again.

Tend to agree too. I think caring about the shared game world reality for the characters has primacy over the rules used by players to access it.

Kurtomatic

First Post
Monte is back. I'm not sure if we'll keep seeing this column switch back and forth between Monte and Mike, or with others, but this week it is Monte.
Take a look at the L&L column archive and you will see that all the columns since 9/27 are credited to Monte. I was also confused by a byline last month for Mike, but I believe this was likely a cut & paste error on the website, which they appear to have corrected.

Remove ads