• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legends and Lore and the Present

SpydersWebbing

First Post
So I was on one of the Legends and Lore threads when the following kind of dawned upon me. If this had dawned upon everyone else then you all have laughing rights at me, which I gladly sign over.

Mr. Mearls has been talking about how he wants the game to be modular, correct? That's been the focus of his articles for some time now. Most of us just smile and nod and assume that he's talking about the next edition. I mean, look at the very healthy 5th edition threads that pick Legends and Lore apart. But think about what Wizards of the Coast has been releasing in the last six months. Nothing much, you say? I disagree. In my recent memory:

The Shadowfell Box Set
Heroes of Shadow
Threats of the Nentir Vale
Fortune Cards(!)

What do all of these have in common? If you put them into your game they have a significant impact, the kind that you either want or you don't. "How's that different from before?" you ask. Look closer. Each product has a detailed hook that actively tries to make a difference in your game. But you can ignore the impact if you wish to. There's a word for that, and it's modular.

The Fortune Cards in particular do this pretty well. You can choose to not have them in your games to no loss. If you give them to your players, however, they change the game in a way that supposedly doesn't change game balance that much (whether they do or not is irrelevant to the purposes of this thread).

Mearls is already doing the "modular game" thing in 4e.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
So I was on one of the Legends and Lore threads when the following kind of dawned upon me. If this had dawned upon everyone else then you all have laughing rights at me, which I gladly sign over.

Mr. Mearls has been talking about how he wants the game to be modular, correct? That's been the focus of his articles for some time now. Most of us just smile and nod and assume that he's talking about the next edition. I mean, look at the very healthy 5th edition threads that pick Legends and Lore apart. But think about what Wizards of the Coast has been releasing in the last six months. Nothing much, you say? I disagree. In my recent memory:

The Shadowfell Box Set
Heroes of Shadow
Threats of the Nentir Vale
Fortune Cards(!)

What do all of these have in common? If you put them into your game they have a significant impact, the kind that you either want or you don't. "How's that different from before?" you ask. Look closer. Each product has a detailed hook that actively tries to make a difference in your game. But you can ignore the impact if you wish to. There's a word for that, and it's modular.

The Fortune Cards in particular do this pretty well. You can choose to not have them in your games to no loss. If you give them to your players, however, they change the game in a way that supposedly doesn't change game balance that much (whether they do or not is irrelevant to the purposes of this thread).

Mearls is already doing the "modular game" thing in 4e.

What makes it any different than calling them "options"?

Incenjucar

Legend
Eh. I think it's safe to say that Mearls is trying to lay the groundwork for future products. The only thing that changes the game at all are the Fortune Cards. They may be trying to sell accessories-as-rules. Perhaps the Skirmish game will be part of that new campaign setting.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
Eh. I think it's safe to say that Mearls is trying to lay the groundwork for future products. The only thing that changes the game at all are the Fortune Cards. They may be trying to sell accessories-as-rules. Perhaps the Skirmish game will be part of that new campaign setting.

The Shadowfell boxed set and the Heroes of Shadow Book fit his definition of modular to a T, however. They're add-ons that change your game in a very fundamental way but yet are not "core", like a PHB or a Campaign setting.

Nyronus

First Post
I kind of figured the whole "different levels of complexity roughly balanced with one another to fit play style all adhering to the same basic idea of the DnD game" line was just Mearls justifying Essentials to us.

SpydersWebbing

First Post
Your definition includes every book in the game.

No, because Mearls's definition includes scaling levels of complexity that can be added in or excised as seen fit. The Shadowfell Boxed Set and the Fortune Cards introduce different levels of complexity, as does Essentials (as Nyronus points out). Wizards has already gotten us into this model.

Saracenus

Always In School Gamer
Actually, themes (introduced in Dark Sun) are another modular piece of D&D tech.

They add another layer to character creation and leveling but aren't necessary to play the game.

I would say that themes has been the most widely asked for bit of modularity of late. The DDI published themes are interesting in a generic sort of way, but the Neverwinter themes have really taken the idea a step forward.

My two coppers,

Remove ads