• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legends & Lairs: School of Illusion

full_moon_draw

First Post
Greetings,

I'm rebooting an old campaign & converting into D&D 3.5 from AD&D 2nd Edition.

One of the characters was an Illusionist & has been complaining that Illusion magic took a "right hammering" when AD&D 2nd Edition changed into D&D 3rd edition.

He's just got hold of this book (Legends & Lairs: School of Illusion) & would like me to approve it for use in the camapign as he thinks that spells wise it "puts back in that which was taken away"!

I'm obviously forming my own opinion on the matter - but I'd be interested to know:

1. Has anyone else has had experince of using this supplement ?
2. What's your their opinion of it ? is & most importantly -
3. What would your reaction be to such a request from one of your players?

Cheers - FMD

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
It is available here for $5 as a pdf. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=36_37&products_id=496&affiliate_id=17596

I don't own it yet but my default is nothing I don't own is allowed into the campaign as a default but if I get the specifics and some time to look it over I might approve it for use (I've done that and allowed in warlocks, favored souls, and some prestige classes without having the books they came in).

So I'd have him lend you the book to review the class or copy and paste the class specifics for you to review them.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Alter Reality as a spell is a little loose and needs DM tightening. Other than that, not too bad, although arguably some of the extra spells seem a little more like spells from other schools.

The true illusionist class looks interesting, but as DM you have to set up situations for him, just as with any specialized character.

Unless I am thinking of another illusions sourcebook...

full_moon_draw

First Post
Yeap - I've got hold of the book in .pdf! I'm with you on that Voadam! I'd certainly not let a PC use rules that I didn't have a copy - far too many opportunities for "shall we say" - creative rules invention :)

Alter Reality was always more than a little loose in the old days Particle Man! You're right though - that's the obvious one that's going to need examination! I wasn't too impressed by the "True Illusionist" - The "Master of Illusion" PrC , Ahh now that's interesting.

Cheers - FMD

Threedub

First Post
I own, but have not used the School of Illusion book. However, I have used a number of the books from the Legend & Lairs series and have not seen a significant problem with them being over-powered. The tweaks I've made have been minor.

Overall, I've been happy with the quality of the Legend & Lairs series, though some of them aren't that useful to a more experienced DM (I'm thinking Cityworks, Wildscape).

I would encourage my players to use alternate material that I own (or they give me while the campaign is on) and I deem balanced; if it fits into the theme of the campaign and style of the group. It's always fun to have a character perform some spell, move, act that the other players haven't seen before.

Remove ads