• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legends of Tomorrow Premiere 1 Review (Minimal Spoilers if you've seen the trailers)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
So Legends of Tomorrow has premiered to much hype and fanfare and it was fun but largely mediocre:(

That may be because it spent the whole time on exposition despite the fact that the show already hijacked last years run of the Flash and Arrow to do the set up and even introduced the villain and delivered him to the future in powered form. It was a bit annoying really, and despite each character getting a personality vignette before being MIB'ed by Rory, it failed to deliver any real action or epic moments (compare how well Agent Carter did in establishing the new relationships and leaping right into the action.)

The problem could be the huge size of the team - 9 characters, a C-grade Justice League, who do luckily split nicely into two groups (the do-gooders and the brawlers) with Time travelling Rip (Rory) Hunter in the middle - except tha Darvill hasn't actually claimed that position in the show yet and that leaves things wanting, or perhaps Canary will fill this role instead or maybe even Atom (nice Batman v Superman links there lol).

Of course The Brawler team of Canary, Captain Cold and Heatwave were the best part of the show and had the best scene in the bar room brawl, they are going to be the team to save the show from boredom especially as the Hawks drama is still a bit meh (although the reveal about their son was nice and gooey) and the Firestorm duo are equally shakey (and the notion of a college professor drugging and kidnapping a young student just a bit dodgy!). The Atom was the only member of the do-gooders who seemed like he might add something interesting to the team dynamic.
Oh and Vandal Hath-Set is still naff. Vandal Savage should have an overwhelming impact comparable to Darth Vader or less ambitiously Damien Darhk, I'm not seeing it.:yawn:

So what did you all think of this latest development in the DC Arrowverse? Did it live up to the hype or is it a disappointment? Are you going to keep watching or has Comicbook television reached saturation point?

I think Legends does fit nicely into the Arrowverse and has potential, but it does need work. Maybe next week will put it onto a better trajectory

Last edited:

Richards

Legend
My one-word review: Meh.

Slight expansion: I, too, was underwhelmed. And it's bad enough trying not to see Rory when I look at Rip Hunter, but they made him a member of a group of time travelers who chafes under their rules, steals a time machine, and decides to take matters into his own hands? That concept seems...strangely familiar.

I never got into Arrow, have been immensely enjoying the Flash, but the only reason I tuned into this episode was to give it a shot (and, not coincidentally, because the episode of The Big Bang Theory it was up against was a rerun). I'm not even sure I want to give this any more of my time (although if I later read, in threads like this, that the quality vastly improves I may give it another shot).

Johnathan

Ryujin

Legend
Bit of a lacklustre start, with a clearly predictable twist, but I'll give it another couple of episodes before deciding if I'll continue following it.

Not impressed thus far BUT I do look forward to seeing cameos of characters from different times. Some Jonah Hex and if they do the future- LSH and Booster Gold would be nice.

Remove ads