• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Legion Of Superheroes

Villano

First Post
I just watched the latest episode of this series, "Karate Kid". Well, watched on fast forward for the 2nd half of it. I haven't enjoyed this series since its 2nd season reboot. Actually, I'm not even sure I really enjoyed the 1st season. I realize I was just watching it out of curiosity and habit (it's a DC animated series, after all).

This whole series feels, for lack of a better word, "wrongheaded". It began with the first season. Now, I had no problem with the "Teen Titans" redesign, and I also understood the (legal) need to change Superboy to SuperMAN. However, the line-up really seemed to make no sense. No Cosmic Boy? How do you do the Legion with only 2 of the 3 founding members? Brainiac 5 can change into a giant death robot? Does he really need to be both smart and be able to go toe-to-toe with Superman? Timber Wolf? Seriously, Timber Wolf? :\

The stories were no great thing either. The Fatal Five was a joke (they would only show up at the end of episodes and be beaten in about 5 seconds), and the rest of the villains really aren't worth mentioning (An evil space station? Lex Luthor's descendant who only wanted a friend?).

It all ended with the 2-part Sun Eater story, in which Ferro Lad heroically sacrifices himself...which would have actually had an impact if he wasn't just introduced in the previous episode. If you knew you were going to end the series by killing off that character, why not make HIM a core member?

Now we have season 2. It's a few years in the future and the series is now trying to be JLU. The characters are redesigned to look more mature and everything is darker.

They also thought that one Superman wasn't enough, so we were introduced to "Superman X", later renamed "Kell-El". He's a clone of Superman from the far(ther) future, who possesses more powers and doesn't suffer from his vulnerabilites. So, they now have Superman and Superman-To-The-10th-Power.

Oh, yeah, they did the story in which Lightning Lad loses his arm and gets a robotic prosthetic. And he doesn't show the slightest bit of shock. Instead, he just thinks his new arm is cool. :eek:

This is what I mean by wrongheaded. While the Bruce Timm series worked because Timm is a comic fan who surrounded himself with other self-described "geeks", Legion feels like it was assembed by a commitee. It's a kid's show. Now it's dark and gritty. One Superman is good, so two will be better. And if Superman is cool, a badass Superman who is twice as powerful will be cooler. And things like Ferro Lad's death and Lightning Lad's arm are just sort of tossed off without any emotional context.

Am I alone in this? Are other people enjoying this series? I really want to know. So many other series get a new thread each new episode (JLU, Bionic Woman, Dr. Who), yet no one really mentions Legion. Is anyone still watching it?

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Villano said:
Am I alone in this? Are other people enjoying this series? I really want to know. So many other series get a new thread each new episode (JLU, Bionic Woman, Dr. Who), yet no one really mentions Legion. Is anyone still watching it?

I've been enjoying it for the most part. Yeah, it could be a lot better and I don't much like the second season changes to the character designs - that really just right out of left field to me. I like bits and parts of the series, such as Lightning Lad and Mekt's origin, and introducing Ayla.

The arm thing, well, he wasn't all that put out by it when it happened in the comics; I never got why 1000 years from now creating a flesh arm is harder than a robot arm and why wouldn't he just go into the hospital a week or so later and have it done anyway. I did like seeing Shrinking Violet in that episode; I like their take on her.

It is a kid's show, pitched at a lower age than JLU and Batman TAS generally were, so I'm just learning to like what parts of it I can enjoy because I like seeing mostly classic Legion characters.

Glyfair

Explorer
Villano said:

I'm enjoying it, but this season is very flawed. The only thing it has over the first season is more appearances by the "non-core" legion. I find the whole "Apocolypse" flavor to be annoying.

Plus, it seems this will be the last season anyway. CW has contracted their Saturday mornings to a company specializing in anime series next year.

Villano

First Post
WayneLigon said:
The arm thing, well, he wasn't all that put out by it when it happened in the comics; I never got why 1000 years from now creating a flesh arm is harder than a robot arm and why wouldn't he just go into the hospital a week or so later and have it done anyway. I did like seeing Shrinking Violet in that episode; I like their take on her.

Maybe it's just me, but I remember Garth being very pissed and angry after he lost his arm (we're talking Zero Hour Legion, right?). I remember him being emotionally screwed up during that time period (before the arm loss and after). He quit the Legion and was willing to go to jail for crimes his brother committed.

You do have a point with the artificial limbs, though. Over at Marvel during Annihilation, Nova recieves some scars on his face. He says they won't heal. Later, he loses some limbs in an attack and doctors grow them back for him. So, you can regrow a leg, but a scar on the face is beyond their alien science? :uhoh:

It is a kid's show, pitched at a lower age than JLU and Batman TAS generally were, so I'm just learning to like what parts of it I can enjoy because I like seeing mostly classic Legion characters.

It took me a little while, but I got used to Teen Titans. I think I might have gotten used to Legion if it didn't take this huge left turn with season 2.

Last edited:

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, Ferro Lad was introduced only to die in the comics originally, so that's not really that big of a deal.

But yes, the show has been kind of a mess since the beginning, which pains me, but yeah, they needed to approach things very differently. What's frustrating is that there's 40 years of exceptionally good material to boil down into a few episodes a season.

If I were doing the show, I'd get rid of Superman-2, or whatever they call him (it's amazing how they can have so many characters in this show and NOT use their codenames; I was proud of being able to recognize the wussified Nemesis Kid ahead of his identification), trim back to Superboy, the three founders (and make Cos a little bit less of a dick and define Imra's powers a bit better), and rotate through three other Legionnaires per episode. I'd also go through the LSH's 40 year history, pick out 50 or so great stories, and tell those, instead of weird stuff with Luthor's descendant, etc.

bento

Explorer
I watched the first half of the first season and found other things to watch. Now we have our kid's gymnastics Saturday morning so we miss cartoons all together.

The only cartoon we try to watch is Avatar, and so far this season I'm two for five.

Glyfair

Explorer
Villano said:
Maybe it's just me, but I remember Garth being very pissed and angry after he lost his arm (we're talking Zero Hour Legion, right?).
Well it originally happened in the 60s (it may have been early 70s). In fact, it happened after Lightning Lad died and then was brought back.

Grymar

Explorer
I haven't watched it.

I loved the Batman: The Animated Series -> Superman -> Justice League cartoons, some of the best written shows on TV (not cartoons, shows).

But I was never able to get into the Teen Titans or The Batman, so I haven't at all paid attention to this one.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Villano said:
Maybe it's just me, but I remember Garth being very pissed and angry after he lost his arm (we're talking Zero Hour Legion, right?). I remember him being emotionally screwed up during that time period (before the arm loss and after). He quit the Legion and was willing to go to jail for crimes his brother committed.

I was thinking more the original Legion. I forgot what happened with the Zero Hour reboot, even though it was my favorite era.

Villano said:
It took me a little while, but I got used to Teen Titans.

I thought I was going to hate it when I saw the character designs but it quickly became my second-favorite superhero show after JLU.

YourSwordIsMine

First Post
I just wish they had done the Legion that was presented in that JLU episode. Supergirl, organic Brainiac 5 and the others... That would have been worth watching.

I guess I just want JLU back...

The Batman has been ok though.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads