• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 1E Leif's AD&D 1E Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
What we'll do is roll characters on Invisible Castle in this way:

1. Click "Roll Stats."

2. Click "Roll."

3. Enter your character's name, the campaign name ("Leif's 3rd AD&D Game"), roll d20 stats, 4d6.takehighest(3), save each set of scores, and post a link to all sets in this thread.

4. Choose the set you like best, arrange the scores as desired, and then adjust them for race as needed.

5. Roll no more than 5 sets in this way. You may roll fewer than 5 if you like.

We'll get a Rogues' Gallery thread up and running soon, and you can each post your chosen character there.

Last edited:

howandwhy99

Adventurer
STR: 14 DEX: 11 CON: 8 INT: 11 WIS: 15 CHA: 15

That looks like a charismatic Fighter or Cleric. I'll be an Elf and multiclass as Ftr1/Clr1 and then start as a Fighter. Name of Rosco.

I don't think steeldragons has the Con for a Ranger with that last roll. It's a hard class to qualify for, but you could do point buy out of the primary three scores, if that's allowed. If you do 2 to 1 out of Strength or Wisdom, you could get a 14 Constitution qualifying to be a Ranger.

Leif

Adventurer
STR: 14 DEX: 11 CON: 8 INT: 11 WIS: 15 CHA: 15

That looks like a charismatic Fighter or Cleric. I'll be an Elf and multiclass as Ftr1/Clr1 and then start as a Fighter. Name of Rosco.

I don't think steeldragons has the Con for a Ranger with that last roll. It's a hard class to qualify for, but you could do point buy out of the primary three scores, if that's allowed. If you do 2 to 1 out of Strength or Wisdom, you could get a 14 Constitution qualifying to be a Ranger.
"Point buy-out" as you call it, is not permitted in AD&D. Not ever. That's why I'm allowing you to roll so many different sets of numbers.

And what do you mean, exactly, about beginning life as a ftr/cleric and then "start as fighter." Does that mean that you want to begin as a first level Ftr/Cleric and than abandon your cleric class to progress as a single-classed fighter? That's not allowed in the rules as written, and, in fact, if you are a multi-class, you still have to divide all experience gained by ALL of your classes, even after you have maxed out in one class.

But, having stated what the rules as written allow or don't allow, I'm willing to consider letting you do what I think you wish to do. Just tell me in more detail what it is that you're wanting to do, and give me an in-character justfication for it. I'd also like to hear from the other players about how this would be received.

Last edited:

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Also RAW, PC elves can't be clerics...multi-class or otherwise...at least not until/without Unearthed Arcana. If we're using that, great! But Leif's other AD&D games have not.

Leif

Adventurer
Also RAW, PC elves can't be clerics...multi-class or otherwise...at least not until/without Unearthed Arcana. If we're using that, great! But Leif's other AD&D games have not.
No, no Unearthed Arcana. I thought he said Half-Elf. That race is allowed to be clerics in the PH.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
I'm thinking of a different set of rules then. Yeah, AD&D elves couldn't be clerics by the book. That's cool. I'll be an Elf Ftr 1 and leave it at that.

You used to be able to point buy out of the 3 primary stats 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 depending on one's class. That's after the dice rolling. I'm pretty sure that is in AD&D too, but I'm not sure exactly where. It always makes the overall stats lower in any case and characters more difficult to play, so it was really only useful for qualifying for subclasses.

Leif

Adventurer
I'm thinking of a different set of rules then. Yeah, AD&D elves couldn't be clerics by the book. That's cool. I'll be an Elf Ftr 1 and leave it at that.

You used to be able to point buy out of the 3 primary stats 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 depending on one's class. That's after the dice rolling. I'm pretty sure that is in AD&D too, but I'm not sure exactly where. It always makes the overall stats lower in any case and characters more difficult to play, so it was really only useful for qualifying for subclasses.
Nope, not in AD&D 1E. No shifting of points between abilities is in the RAW. If you want to be a half-elven cleric/fighter and then abandon the cleric class later, we might be able to work something out.

The methods given are:
1. 4d6 retain the highest 3, roll six times and arrange to taste.
2. 3d6 rolled 12 times, highest 6 scores retained and arranged to taste.
3. 3d6 rolled 6 times for each ability, in order: S, I, W, D, C, Ch, and the highest of the 6 is retained for each ability.
4. 3d6 rolled, in order, for 12 characters. Player selects the set he prefers out of the 12.

Generally, method # 1 gives results that are about as good as any.

Last edited:

Mallus

Legend
Nope, not in AD&D 1E. No shifting of points between abilities is in the RAW.
Huh... I could have sworn 2-for-1-ing was mentioned somewhere in the DMG -- it was a common practice in groups in played in during the 80s-- but you're right, it isn't. Anyhow...

... got room for another player? I'm been running a face-to-face AD&D game --or some unreasonable facsimile thereof-- for a year and a half, and I'm curious to see what another contemporary DM does with the system, ie mine another campaign for ideas. And I'd love a chance to play, too.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads