Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game OOC01

Shayuri

First Post
Oh cool. Just saw this.

Had to dig up my books, but I got 'em. I'll work up a character this weekend.

Looking at a character who grew up in a family of belters working asteroids out of an orbital habitat, then joined the Imperial Navy as a way of getting away...served for a term or two, then mustered out to become a commercial pilot.

Insight

Adventurer
Sorry I havent posted in a few days; I was kinda waiting to see what the other players wanted to do.

So, are we going with the more "generic" Traveller setup, or still doing the Zhodani thing?

Leif

Adventurer
Oh cool. Just saw this.

Had to dig up my books, but I got 'em. I'll work up a character this weekend.

Looking at a character who grew up in a family of belters working asteroids out of an orbital habitat, then joined the Imperial Navy as a way of getting away...served for a term or two, then mustered out to become a commercial pilot.
Sounds good! So a Naval officer, I presume? [Enlisted, turns out!] :) Inee or Outee?
Just checking in at the need thread.
'Bout time you showed up here!
Sorry I havent posted in a few days; I was kinda waiting to see what the other players wanted to do.
So, are we going with the more "generic" Traveller setup, or still doing the Zhodani thing?
I think we settled on the more Imperium-centered game...
What Shay said. ;) That okay with all?

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
I read over the occupational templates in GURPS Traveller, and I might go with Enlisted...not sure. I don't really see my character as being the best 'command potential' type, and humble beginnings often make becoming an officer more difficult in the Imperial Navy...

The feeling I always got was that Navy Officers commanded ships, and Enlisted crew were the ones that actually got their hands dirty with operations. In that case, this character would be Enlisted. An actual pilot, as opposed to someone who tells a pilot what to do. :)

Leif

Adventurer
You two can stop that line of thought RIGHT THERE! :p *mutter, mutter* racial stereotyping *mutter, mutter*

And whaddaya mean 'recruit more later'? Think we cannae handle it, cap'n? :cool:
'Recruit more later' meant that you lot might decide to abandon me en masse when you see how tough I'm planning to be on you guys! :p (Ask Scotley, he knows the real truth of what a wicked Referee I can be. Mwahahahahaha) (Which is to say that he knows that I'm really a total pushover. :eek:)

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
I read over the occupational templates in GURPS Traveller, and I might go with Enlisted...not sure. I don't really see my character as being the best 'command potential' type, and humble beginnings often make becoming an officer more difficult in the Imperial Navy...

The feeling I always got was that Navy Officers commanded ships, and Enlisted crew were the ones that actually got their hands dirty with operations. In that case, this character would be Enlisted. An actual pilot, as opposed to someone who tells a pilot what to do. :)
'Officer' does not necessarily connote 'command.' ;) Some, make that MOST, of the officers I knew during my time in the Army Reserve were not very likely command candidates. Of course, most of them were Lieutenants, so they were very young and not really in any danger of being in command of anything anyway. But, that said, the way you set up your character is up to you. One more observation: pilots on large ships are not usually in command. Think "Lieutenant Sulu" on Star Trek.

However, I am interested to see what justification you come up with for an enlisted person being trained as a pilot in the Imperial Navy, when such duties are typically reserved for the officer corps. ;)

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
See, that's the thing. I'm not sure the Imperial Navy has the same conventions as the United States military. In the USAF (armed forces, not Air Force), anyone who flies combat missions is an officer of at least Lieutenant rank. The amount of training and education required pretty much demands no less.

But the sense I get from Traveller is that the Imperial military doesn't have that requirement. Enlisted personnel from all branches can start off with Pilot training, as well as pilot-related advantages like 3D Spatial Sense and so on. The feeling I get is that the advent of gravitational drives and anti-gravity has made piloting combat vehicles and spacecraft a lot easier and thus require much less training, much less education, and can be taught to enlisted servicemen.

But there's no clarification to that effect in the actual rules.

So basically it up to you. If you rule that pilots must be officers, then I'll make that work in my background. If you rule that enlisted can be combat pilots, then I'll go with that.

Remove ads