Leif's DISCONTINUED GURPS Traveller Game, Recruiting Thread

Leif

Adventurer
I...think you do. If you're born to Imperial citizens, you're an Imperial citizen.

Most people who live in the Imperium are Imperial citizens.
I think you're mistaken: most who live in the Imperium are Imperial Subjects NOT citizens. Citizenship in the Imperium is like citizenship in the Roman Empire, it generally must be earned. Birth makes you a subject, the way I remember it. This really doesn't matter for us since the game is set in the Z. Consulate, but if someone wants to be an Imperial Citizen, the option is open.

This is just from my notoriously bad memory, however....

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, I'm planning to do some reading tonight about citizenship in Traveller. I expect to find that you're right Shayuri. :p (Don't you ever get tired of being right ALL the time, about EVERYTHING?)

Insight

Adventurer
Ok, I'm planning to do some reading tonight about citizenship in Traveller. I expect to find that you're right Shayuri. :p (Don't you ever get tired of being right ALL the time, about EVERYTHING?)

Is there something in game terms that states whether you're an Imperial Citizen or not? I believe Doc will be a Citizen, but apart from Status or something, I'm not sure how else to represent it.

Leif

Adventurer
Is there something in game terms that states whether you're an Imperial Citizen or not? I believe Doc will be a Citizen, but apart from Status or something, I'm not sure how else to represent it.
As far as I know there's not, but that doesn't really mean anything, now, does it?

Shayuri

First Post
No, because Imperial citizens don't, in game terms, have any real advantages over visitors to the Imperium. Anyone can buy, sell, watch movies, fly ships...etc. Oh, I imagine there's a bit more red tape (depending on the planet), but a visitor to the Imperium can do most of the things a citizen can.

Status in the Imperium means you're a member of the peerage, and that carries certain spiffs. :)

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, so now I'm having thoughts of making the game a more traditional Traveller thing, with the "party", "crew", whatever being in the Imperium, and currently working aboard a Far Trader, we'd pick up as you make planetfall somewhere in the Regina subsector, and you can stay on as crew with your current billets, jump ship and try to outfit your own vessel, or whatever. I really don't know. What say the players? Which of the possibilities seems more interesting? Or are there other ideas that someone would care to explore?

Insight

Adventurer
Ok, so now I'm having thoughts of making the game a more traditional Traveller thing, with the "party", "crew", whatever being in the Imperium, and currently working aboard a Far Trader, we'd pick up as you make planetfall somewhere in the Regina subsector, and you can stay on as crew with your current billets, jump ship and try to outfit your own vessel, or whatever. I really don't know. What say the players? Which of the possibilities seems more interesting? Or are there other ideas that someone would care to explore?

Not having played Traveller at all before, I wouldn't mind going the more traditional route, just to get more of a "this is what Traveller is all about" sort of introduction. But I'm not too picky.

Shayuri

First Post
Given that the vast majority of source material for Traveller is written from that perspective, it would probably make things a lot easier on you, as well as us.

That said, I'm good either way.

Leif

Adventurer
Ok, we'll just do it the old fashioned way. So far, we've had posts from

Shayuri
Insight
Grufflehead
Scotley
Bluenose

We haven't heard from Grufflehead or Bluenose for awhile, you guys still here and interested? And for characters, so far, we've got these interests expressed: Shayuri-pilot; Insight-doc; Scotley-engineer. Everybody still good with those? (I know Shayuri is!)

Remove ads