• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lessons in humility: "Rookie" mistakes

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a good cook. No, a damn good cook.:cool:

My family has a few pros among them, and despite my lack of professional level experience, my services are still in demand, especially during the holidays.:cool::cool:

For Easter, I laid out a biggish spread for my folks and a few relatives, with an eye towards having leftovers. I got many complements.:cool::D:cool:

That said...

Tonight, I decided to take some of the leftovers and make a custom grilled sandwich- something I've been able to do for 33 years.

And I didn't properly grease OR monitor my pan and CARBONIZED my dinner.:eek::eek::confused:

So...in what field of expertise do you have an unusually high level of skill, and STILL managed to utterly screw up like you haven't done in years?

papa_laz

First Post
I was a computer technician for 2 years and I still have no idea why my computer runs like crap after a fresh reformat and installation. I also don't bother installing spyware detection or anti virus software until its too late.

ssampier

First Post
I have worked in I/T professionally for 4 and 1/2 years--and working with them for close to 14--I still occasionally do dumb things.

1) Forget to plugin the network cable, but I forget to troubleshoot from layer 1 up.

2) Forget to plug monitor cable to correct video adapter

3) Used a DVD in a CD-Rom drive and couldn't figure why it wouldn't read

Granted these didn't take longer than a few minutes to figure out why, but it is still embarrassing.

papa_laz, formatting is not a cure for hardware problems, of course, but you knew that. I almost never use antispyware on my own PCs. I do religiously use antivirus, however.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
3) Used a DVD in a CD-Rom drive and couldn't figure why it wouldn't read

I love it!

It reminds me of some of the stories my IT buddies tell me about other people.

I never did THAT, but I have put CDs in my player upside down...and once I put one in on top of another.

I caught that one quickly- Vivaldi and the Red Hot Chili Peppers don't sound anything alike...

Remove ads