• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Let’s Read Mordenkainen Presents: Monsters of the Multiverse.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.

Archdruid (VGtM)

Archdruids are to druids as Archmages are to wizards, naturally. Both sit at the top of their respective tradition, both have underlings, both can reshape reality around their pinky finger by using 9th level spells, both get really mad when you interrupt their breakfast with some trivial problem that could be solved by the town’s legal system or a party of t1-t2 adventurers. All I’m saying is that they don't put down their pipe unless it’s at least an Adult Dragon who is stealing all the pies in the kingdom, cause they have bigger problems to worry about.

In fact, the only likely way your party is ever going to meet one, is if the Arch-in-question is their patron. (Unless they are Elminster, or Mordenkainen. For some reason those two old dudes really like to make cameo appearances in adventures.)

In addition to being a really high level spellcaster you can buy spellcasting services from, Archdruids often serve as the head of a religion, sometimes even the head of state for a theocracy/magocracy, and most often they are the appointed guardian of an untamed wilderness area. Heck, they can even be all three at once. This level of status makes it trivial to find a place for one of them in your campaign, but a bit hard for the PCs to get a hold of.

So, I have to say it. Despite the changes in this book to make casters streamlined and easy to run, the Archdruid is still irrationally complex. This is due to the Change Shape power giving the Archdruid access to 200+ alternate stat blocks. Even more annoying, this complexity is practically useless in combat, because even a CR 6 dinosaur is nowhere near as deadly as a CR 12 caster. You could make an argument that an Earth Elemental is harder to kill in melee combat than an Archdruid, but that only deals the damage of a CR 5 creature, and you would be in melee range for no good reason. For lethalness, the Archdruid should just keep their distance (Tree Stride is amazing for this) and fling Wildfire attacks at the enemy. Wildfire deals significant damage up to three times per round, and blinds anyone hit by it with no saving throw for a turn, making it crazy good for control. In fact, it might be a good idea to snipe multiple targets instead of just one, because keeping two or even three PCs blinded is a huge boon in terms of action economy.

Mind you, the Archdruid can still cast spells when they are in animal form, but their entire spellcasting trait has been gutted. The highest level spell they can cast is 5th, instead of the 9th level spell they previously had access too.

Getting deeper into the changes: More hp of course, but less AC, and no access to the powerhouse that is Foresight, or the massive reset button that is Heal. This makes them way easier to kill. Better DPR in human form, but they can’t cast Fire Storm as a Giant Shark, which as we all know, is the pinnacle of nature’s wrath. At least Change Shape is a bonus action now, for what that’s worth.

Once again, I am disappointed. The issues could have been completely avoided by making Change Shape a more generic power that allowed the Archdruid to swap out their size, stats, movement speeds, and breathing organs for a handful of generic replacement blocks with their own attack and defense powers comparable to the humanoid form.

Last edited:

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Hmm. This is the most disquieting one I have seen. Dropping all high level spells, for a high level spell-caster? Is wildfire supposed to make up for this. Just does not seem right.

EDIT: Or I just conflated wild-shape casting with all casting.

Last edited:

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Are you saying their spellcasting while in animal form is only 5th level, but they still retain 9th level in human form? Or are you saying their whole spellcasting is limited to 5th level?

pukunui

Legend
Are you saying their spellcasting while in animal form is only 5th level, but they still retain 9th level in human form? Or are you saying their whole spellcasting is limited to 5th level?
This is the extent of the archdruid’s spellcasting now:

1148329D-C9B8-44E8-83D1-12FA9904EAA2.jpeg

Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I suppose that part was confusing. Their entire spellcasting stat block was cut down to 5th level, and they have a new power that mimics their higher level damage spells that they used to have.

Remathilis

Legend
This is one of the saddest parts of the new spellcaster design paradigm. None of the casters that were previously "high level" casters are have above 6th level spells in MPMoM. While on a certain level that makes sense (high level magic is very swingy and can lead to unpredictable outcomes, and it didn't play well with the CR system, which is why the 18th level archmage is CR 12 even though he can cast Meteor Swarm and wipe a 12th level party) this does feel too limited and safe. Now 7-9th level spells are PC only? It further distills the notion that PCs and NPCs don't just use separate rules, they come from different realities.

Li Shenron

Legend
We're only at letter A, and this already confirms my suspicion of dumbing down monsters... I can understand wanting an easier time for beginner DMs, if they dumb down the MM, but this is supplemental material, it's going to be at least the second monster book bought by a DM, why not using it for higher-complexity ideas so that the DM actually has a feeling of becoming more expert at running the game?

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
We're only at letter A, and this already confirms my suspicion of dumbing down monsters... I can understand wanting an easier time for beginner DMs, if they dumb down the MM, but this is supplemental material, it's going to be at least the second monster book bought by a DM, why not using it for higher-complexity ideas so that the DM actually has a feeling of becoming more expert at running the game?
"Dumbing-down"? 🙄 I'm not completely sold on the changes, but can we not with the useless hyperbole?

That said, the presentation is going to be consistent across MM to monster supplements. It's silly to expect differences in complexity between supplements (unless they actively maket an "advanced rules" supplement—which is unlikely).

Remove ads