• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's ban Teleport!

ARandomGod

First Post
Thanee said:
Anything else to consider?

Bye
Thanee

Yea, Wind Walk (as meantioned below)
I completely applaud the idea of campaign specific getting rid of that spell. IF it's pesky, it shouldn't be there.

OF course, there are all sorts of campaign specific limits you could build in, I especially like the walls that cannot be teleported past. There could be a LOT of them, crisscrossing the country. There could be a quest to knock these damned walls down.

Ley lines could be unpassable.

There could be any numer of other restrictions.

Or just get rid of it as you've suggested. There's still dimension door and shadow walk, good for quick get aways without destroying the concept of "far away".

Arnwyn

First Post
I've discovered that by simply being very strict in defining "familiarity" in the teleport table (a little beyond what the 3.5 spell description basics give you), you can solve some problems regarding teleport being used overmuch. (Depending on how paranoid/risk averse your players are, of course.)

Talon5

First Post
Three years playing a wizard- finally he gets to 9th lvl (2 Arcane Order and 7 wizard), one of my first spells I picked up was teleport. The GM gave a little roll of the eyes (I know him well enough to know the look and what it means).

So I told him- we're still using horses to get about, but when we have to get somewhere fast (like back to the Order- which has to be done every 3 months) Alran will TP. If it doesn't work for you- say you don't want us to- then tell me and we won't.

Why would the character not teleport? I am willing to work with the GM on that.

Teleport out- heal, rest, teleport back in- might happen, but only after we have gotten our buts kicked (happens often enough). Remember- this gives the villians time to do the same- they saw us TP out and they might be expecting us to come back, so they will be ready. Course so will we, but hay Dim Anchor is a cleric and a wiz/sorc spell.

Ban the transportation spells or ask your players to not use them at certain times, or perhaps the world has a number of large stones (randomly scattered) that have a detouring effect on transport spells).

All in all its up to the GM- but please, explain to your players why your banning it and maybe they will alter their ways to help the GM and get to keep their TP spells.

Have fun, be at peace, and be good to one another.

Destil

Explorer
Aaron2 said:
Also, you could have teleport work like transporters in Star Trek where you gradually fade in. This would consume the entire suprise round slightly evening up the odds. Or, the transport time could be based on the distance traveled (1 round per mile); increasing the prep time the BBEG gets plus wearing down the pre-teleport buffs.
I've been running things like this for a while. Unless you teleport into an area of magical darkness or similar, in fact, I let the defenders always take a suprise round. Works well for me.

Mr. Kaze

First Post
IM (Homebrew) C:

"Mere mortals are not capable of breaking dimensional boundaries. You must first transcend your mortal form before you can hope to truly grasp the interdimensional secrets of spatial shifting."

And with that, I killed off all Dimension Door, Teleport, Summon XYZ, Blink, et all spells for the players lower-level characters and made some options -- like "become a Lich" -- much more attractive to them. Gating creatures isn't blocked, but it is still difficult and generally relies on the gated creature to be able to perform their own spatial-shifting effects.

Note that dimension-bending class skills (Shadowdancer's Shadow Jump) is not affected by this because it's not something that they can really explain to people who aren't members of the class...

Note also that some creatures -- like Mind Flayers -- are now also Outsiders because of their ability to break planar boundaries.

I left Wind Walk in. It pushes the limits, but it doesn't break dimensional boundaries, is tactically difficult, is of reduced functionality underground, etc. It does still cut back on long journeys, but it doesn't get through sealed doors and can't quite be used to BST.

Cheers,
::Kaze

Ferret

Explorer
maddman75 said:
Actually, I think you can keep down the major abuses with some minor tweaks.

First is a convention I've used for some time - a bit of Gorgon's blood mixed in the mortar will render a building impervious to teleport or other translocational spells. So no teleporting over the castle walls, and certainly not into the king's bedchamber.

Another good one would be to say that you CANNOT teleport to a place you have not personally seen. No taking the chance and doing it blind, and scrying devices don't count. You need to have seen a place with your own two eyes before you can teleport. That would nicely take care of the remote wilderness problem - you can teleport back home easily enough, but getting there you have to do the old fashioned way. It would also make the group wanting to 'buy a teleport' off a wizard much less likely, since in addition to finding a wizard who is willing and capable of casting teleport he has to have been to wherever they want to go. And it completely kills the Buff-Scry-Teleport problem, unless the target is somewhere the attacker has personally been before.

Thats a good idea, Can I bag it? A setting I'm designng is heavy on dangerous/gritty magic like this.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've found wagons and carriages to be substantially unbalancing to the game. Not only do you get there more quickly than walking, but you can carry a near-unlimited amount of supplies or goods in the process! That's just nuts. I house rules this by declaring that no one had invented the wheel yet, and my game runs much more smoothly as a result.

Aaron L

Hero
As written, Teleport has an easy "out" for any DM who wants to use it. Teleportation can be hard or impossible in areas of "strong physical or magical forces." There is nothing stopping you from placing any areas you want as areas of strong forces. There is a whole continent in my homebrew that is in the aftermath of a great war, and teleporting across the continent is very very dangerous at best.

Another option is to set teleportation to predefined areas of the world, as in Everquest. Have a few set teleportal points around the world, and you can only teleport to one of these locarions. There you go.

I'd do something like this long before you completely remove a long standing and traditional spell. Of course, your game IS your game.

WizarDru

Adventurer
Piratecat said:
I've found wagons and carriages to be substantially unbalancing to the game. Not only do you get there more quickly than walking, but you can carry a near-unlimited amount of supplies or goods in the process! That's just nuts. I house rules this by declaring that no one had invented the wheel yet, and my game runs much more smoothly as a result.
"Rommel, you glorious bastard!"

Heh. :)

Dark Jezter

First Post
Piratecat said:
I've got you beat. In my campaign, I refuse to allow PCs to move at any pace faster than a brisk walk, because running and jogging/hustling are clearly unbalanced.

Remove ads