• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's Read...Everything D&D!

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
B1: In Search of the Unknown

Originally published November, 1978

Version being read and reviewed: B1: In Search of the Unknown (PDF) (PDF added to www.dndclassics.com January, 2013) by Mike Carr

First things first - SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Still here?

Ok, here we go.

This module represents the first attempt at an instructional adventure for beginners. Its also an odd little experiment since its not finished, at least not in the sense that we, as modern gamers, expect it would be. Part of the "instructional" aspect of the module is teaching the DM to stock the dungeon. So, while the rooms have descriptions, they don't have any critters or treasures and the like. Unlike later intro adventures that are designed to get the group right into playing as soon as possible, B1 takes the approach of teaching DMs how to prep and the beginnings of adventure design. While an interesting idea, its not really any surprise that this module was quickly surpassed in popularity and iconic status by B2: Keep on the Borderlands.

This adventure is also notable as the first published adventure module written by someone other than Gary Gygax. In this case we have Mike Carr, notable for being the only person known to have attended all 40 of the first 40 Gen Con conventions. He also did quite a bit of editing in TSR's early days before moving on to a career on Wall Street. Its also the first published adventure for the "Basic" version of the game, split off from OD&D as a separate line from AD&D. This adventure was included in the Basic Set for a while before being replaced by B2.

When talking about the DM, Carr notes "he or she", which, though my memory may be fuzzy given the lengthy gap between some of these reviews, is the first such instance in the adventure modules. As you know, the evolution of the role of gender in D&D is a topic of some interest to me, so this is fairly noteworthy.

The first five pages is made up of advice for the DM that's fairly independent of the adventure itself, covering things like adventure preparation, keying the map, how to deal with retainers and NPCs, determining marching order, designating a caller, etc. The caller role is something I've talked about before as being a little foreign to modern gaming, as its basically a leader among the players. The caller's role here is a bit reduced from how its described in OD&D, having the responsibility of determining the actions for the group as a whole, but not dictating actions for other characters. Still, its not something I have ever utilized in my groups since I started playing in 1988. There's also a fun little note that amounts to "no take-backs" - the DM is advised to set the party on a course of action dictated by the caller as soon as its uttered, even if they soon realize it was a mistake.

The adventure locale itself, the Caverns of Quasqueton, has an interesting set up. Like Rufus and Burne of Hommlet fame, the place features two men setting up a home for themselves together. As with Rufus and Burne, one is a fighter and the other a magic-user; Rogahn the Fearless and Zelligar the Unknown. As a modern reader, my initial impulse is to infer a romantic relationship between the two, but I don't think that's the intent here. Given the context of when this was written, I think its likely written from the perspective of allies banding together for mutual defense and profit. Unlike Rufus and Burne, Rogahn and Zelligar are now assumed dead after one final adventure in barbarian lands. So, now their isolated home becomes a dungeon locale, ripe for plundering. One thing I think I'm going to do when I DM this adventure is have the reports of the pair's demise to be greatly exaggerated and have them return shortly after the party finishes looting their home.

Each of the locations and rooms within Quasqueton have quite a bit of description and detail. As noted above, however, there aren't any monsters or treasure indicated. The first keyed location is actually fairly gruesome - the remains of fallen adventurers and the guards they fought with, shortly after a pair of magic mouths warn the party away from further exploration. Most of the rooms have a consistent description of years of dust, as well as signs of previous looting. Room 4 features a "carved statue, full-size, of a nude human female, beckoning with arms out front in a very alluring pose" - it seems that, though this module is intended for beginning D&D players, it certainly isn't intended for children, given this and the scene of carnage in the first room.

Speaking of old gaming practices that seem a little obsolete these days, this adventure features a teleport room specifically designed to mess with the players and the group's mapper. The room teleports the party to an identical room elsewhere in the dungeon, turned 90 degrees directionally from the other room. The players will thus probably end up completely lost.

Room 24 puts to rest any notion of Rogahn and Zelligar being more than allies and possibly friends. Rogahn's mistress apparently dwelled in this room and was "the most dearly won and greatest of all my treasure."

Although most of the dungeon makes sense within the context of the premise - the mostly finished secret hide-out and home of a pair of semi-retired adventurers, room 31 is the nonsensical oddball, thrown in for a touch of the bizarre. A room full of pools of various liquids, from healing to poison to a sleep potion to acid. The purpose of the room eludes me, though it does remind of some of the odd, nonsense rooms in the first adventure in the Mentzer "Red Box" Basic Set.

Descriptions for the cave like second level are much less thorough with the exception of the museum room which is a monument to Rogahn and Zelligar's greatness. One gets the impression that these two have some pretty over-inflated egos.

After the room descriptions, we have a section of monsters and treasures that the DM should be placed in those rooms by the DM. Its entirely up to the DM where to place both monsters and treasure so the adventure will likely be quite different every time its played through. The monsters are fairly standard for 1st level adventures - goblins, kobolds, bugs of various sorts, and low-level undead. The treasures are likewise typical of a 1st level adventure, with several cursed items among the smattering of magic items.

After that, we have a list of character stats that can be used as pregen PCs or NPC retainers. These characters aren't complete, in the sense that they have character sheets ready made. They take some work to put together from the pieces parts on various tables in the back of the module.

Finally, the module ends with 10 tips for players - Stay organized, listen to the DM, cooperate, etc. Pretty standard stuff.

Although an interesting locale, ultimately the odd choice to leave some of the design work to the DM makes this module a little less than ideal as a beginning adventure.

Next up: C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Last edited:

the Jester

Legend
I just want to say that I love this thread. :) It's really cool reading, and your reviews of everything are very cool and bring a lot of memories back.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
"Aaah, home at last are Rogahn..."
"Aye, Zelligar, it has been a long journey away and back again."
"Hey, where did all the dead monsters come from, Rogahn?"
"And where did all of our stuff go?"
"Oy! You guys, how did you get in here? Put that stuff down! The wench, too, damn you!!!!!"

Yeah... This is going to get messy.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Dungeons & Dragons Supplement II: Blackmoor

Originally published September, 1975

Version being read and reviewed: Original Dungeons & Dragons RPG - Original Edition Premium Reprint (November 2013)

"Rules for Fantastic Medieval Wargames: Campaigns Playable with Paper and Pencil and Miniature Figures" by Dave Arneson

I just wanted to add that Tim Kask told me that he deserves greater writing credit for Blackmoor than he gets. Supposedly Blume and Gygax came to him smirking and holding several wooden baskets filled with loose single page notes. They said they had a job for him, and told him that the piled notes were everything that Arneson had given them on Blackmoor and that as editor it was Kask's job to put it all together in time for the quickly approaching publishing deadline (I think it was a week or two away). Anyway, this was on top of Kask's other editorial duties. Tim Kask said the notes were so incoherent or conflicting in places that he did away with much of it and wrote entire passages on his own. I think Kask liked Arneson fine as an ideas kind of guy, but at the same time Arneson's lack of organization and manner of working drove Tim Kask nearly insane.

On the other hand, although he pulled a lot of long hours, Kask liked to take recreational pleasures while he worked, but you'll have to ask him about that yourself.

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Double Post... oops. I'll leave this by saying that the Drow never really did anything for me in any iteration through the various editions of AD&D and I was never a fan of Dritzz. However, some of the old school artwork of them partaking in human sacrifice still freaks me out a little to this day. So I very much disliked what was written about the Drow, but dug some of the older black and white artwork done on them.

I can't wait until you get to the Fiend Folio...

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

Adventurer
Just a few more quick comments. Elves had advantages over humans in the early games since they could act as a armored spellcasting fighting-man/magic-user hybrid, but if I remember right they were also unable to be raised from the dead as they were entities of nature and therefore lacked souls. So you were better in combat, but also more vulnerable in a way if you played an elf.

I would really suggest you play Tomb of Horrors as it is designed, and do not incorporate it into your campaign. Instead use it as a tournament module and an ice breaker. Have your players create high-level characters from whole cloth and run them and their retainers through the Tomb during a weekend where you need a break from the regular campaign. If they have a complete victory they can celebrate and have bragging rights. If a partial victory (some survive and with treasure), they'll have fond memories. And if all are wiped out they can joke about it. The other modules you can place into your campaign world with some tweaking, but Tomb of Horrors should not be modified.

Speaking of strange and memorable NPCs, didn't the Giants modules have a certain dubious dwarf NPC of note worth mentioning?

I still love the B1 module today. It's just a fun, quirky experience filled with wonder and perfect for starting players.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Quick replies before I get to the next review...

Drow jumped the shark for me in Dragon #298. There was an article that talked about drow twins and triplets murdering eachother in-utero. That was just too much. I could see demons and devils and such having something like that going on but for drow it was just ridiculous and over the top. In my "Everything D&D Ever" play-by-post campaign (spoilers for my players) I am taking a different approach with them - they are banished from elven society for taking elven xenophobia to a genocidal extreme during the war against Blackmoor. The survivors of Blackmoor want to see them tried and executed for war crimes but the other elven clans won't allow it and come to the compromise of exiling them to the underdark.

Regarding S1, I have some ideas for how I'm going to integrate it into my campaign (its actually going to the second adventure in the EDDE campaign). (Spoilers again) As with every adventure in EDDE, I'm tweaking the backstory a bit while keeping some key elements. In my version, Acererak is still an apprentice of Vecna, shortly after the fall of Blackmoor, but conspired with Kas to betray Vecna. Vecna punished Acererak by imprisoning him in the Tomb of Horrors. Vecna is thus the one responsible for the death traps and such, wanting to ensure Acererak is never released. By destroying the demilich skull, the PCs will be unknowingly releasing Acererak, who will show up later in the campaign as either an antagonist or potential ally of necessity. If the PCs fail, then Acer remains imprisoned.

Regarding B1, I like the backstory well enough, its just going to be a bit of a chore to populate.

And, as for the module I'm currently reading, C1, a bit of a sneak preview of my review - I love it! I think it may be my favorite so far...though that depends on whether it keeps its niftiness throughout since I haven't finished reading it yet.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan

Originally published June, 1979

Version being read and reviewed: C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan (PDF) (PDF added to www.dndclassics.com January, 2013) by Harold Johnson & Jeff R. Leason

First things first - SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Still here?

Ok, here we go.

Indiana Jones meets The Road to El Dorado, with a dash of Hellraiser and healthy dose of The Mummy - this adventure is freaking amazing.

This module was originally titled Lost Tamoachan, though I don't know if there were any revisions to the actual adventure itself with the title change. Regardless, this is written as a Competition or Tournament module, complete with a relatively simplistic scoring system. There a few notes about running the adventure campaign style vs. tournament style. Tournament style features a timer of sorts in the form of poison gas that will slowly kill the characters if they don't escape.

The tournament version also features three very detailed pregen characters and opens with an intro that has the trio fleeing from bounty hunters and stumbling into the ruins, falling into the Shrine via the ground collapsing under them in the ruined city. The bounty hunters are not actually featured in the adventure, though the pregen characters' backgrounds provide plenty of material to work with should one want to begin a campaign leading up to this module (which is what I will likely do when I get around to running this).

The adventure is heavily inspired by Aztec, Incan, and Mayan culture and mythology is obviously thoroughly researched in that regard. Everything in the shrine is derived from or inspired by the gods of these cultures, translated slightly into the Olman culture of Greyhawk. Even better, all of the various names of gods and other beings have a pronunciation guide.

Every room is loaded with fascinating features so I'm going to cover the highlights. As an overview, most of the creatures here are modified to be intelligent servants of the various deities or are undead appropriate to the nature of the place. There are also numerous traps as befitting a forgotten shrine such as this one.

Room 13 features a nereid, which also has a Monster Manual style entry in the back of the adventure. Nereids are elemental water beings inspired by myths of sirens and the like - beautiful female creatures or spirits that lure men to their doom. As such, the nereid is described as rendering male characters unable to attack it. For our trio of pregens, that means that only the cleric is immune to her charms. If you've been reading my prior reviews, you know gender issues are of particular importance to me so, I find this particular creature's inclusion to be the only minor problematic issue with this module.

There are a few areas where the party could potentially drown in water but Room 24 features a potential burying and drowning in sand. Eep.

Room 28 has a gas spore, a "gotcha" monster that looks like a beholder but explodes when you hit it. I'm not normally a fan of "gotcha" monsters, but this one seems to fit in with the theme of the module, representing a sun figure.

Room 29 is where I am reminded of the movie "The Road to El Dorado" as it features the game that also plays a prominent role in the movie, a form of basketball where the party must get the ball, that moves on its own and is your opponent, through a hoop.

Room 35 made me squee a bit when I read it. Xipe Totec, the Flayed One, is the deity referenced here. In the early Hellraiser comic books, Pinhead is said to be the latest incarnation of that deity. Here Xipe is a juvenile ogre mage. And, amongst his treasure, is an intricately carved ivory box that is opened rather like a certain puzzle box. I am huge fan of Clive Barker and the Hellraiser movie so this was a rather surprising and awesome proto-reference. This module came out in 1979 but the Hellraiser movie didn't come out until 1987. The short story the movie is based on, The Hellbound Heart, was first published as part of the Night Visions anthology series in 1986. So, it makes me wonder if Barker may not have been a D&D player.

Room 45 contains a depiction of the land of the dead, with its various levels being a bit reminiscent of Dante's Inferno and other depictions of a multi-leveled Hell, though there is one facet that is more like Elysium.

Room 46 features the debut of the gibbering mouther, a wonderfully grotesque and nightmarish monster and now something of a classic of D&D. The mouther also gets a Monster Manual style entry in the back of the module.

Room 54, the final room, doesn't have a "boss battle" - merely a puzzle of sorts as the characters must figure out how to finally escape the Shrine. This is fitting as the objective of the module, at least in tournament play, is getting the heck out of dodge.

The module comes with a secondary booklet of illustrations, similar to the Tomb of Horrors, that are used as game aids, providing a visual representation of various rooms. Also similar to Tomb of Horrors, these are very well done compared to the standard art of the time.

As noted in a previous review, as a kid I had avoided AD&D adventures as I was under the mistaken impression that they were only allowed to be played in organized play or conventions. That didn't stop me from skimming through and reading Dragon magazine whenever I got the chance so I was at least vaguely familiar with the S modules, the GDQ modules, T1-4, and even the A modules. But, the C "Competition" series was a complete mystery to me other than the names. I barely knew anything about them until now. And, with C1 at least, it looks like I was missing out on one of the best modules of the time. I love nearly everything about this little gem and can't wait to run it some day. There are only a couple of minor negative points - the nereid mentioned above, and some really skimpy amounts of treasure, at least compared to the other modules I've read so far. Given that I'll be running this with 5th Edition, however, that isn't really a problem at all.

Next up: T1: The Village of Hommlet

I'm loving this thread so far.

C1: The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan holds a special place in my heart as it was the very first adventure I played. My Year 8 home group teacher ran it for my friends over a series of lunchtimes back in 1994 (the module was older than I was when I played it!).

I remember finding the key in the diorama at the start, but only after we had brought several of the figurines to life by picking them up and throwing them on the ground. Other memories include:

- Desperately trying to kill a vampire after accidentally causing it to start to form
- Being knocked off my feet after opening a door that was holding back a heap of water
- Having someone in the party crushed under a statue after climbing on it to try and pry the gems out of its eyes

I'm not sure how far into the module we got as, like many 13yo boys, we were easily distracted. I think the whole thing ended when one party member decided to attack another and an interparty fight broke out! :D

Remove ads