Let's Read...Everything D&D!

goatunit

Explorer
Sorry to call back to something written in March of last year, but I thought I'd share some insight into the 4-50 players thing.

The idea was that a DM ran a setting. It wasn't the intention that 50 players sit at the table at once (although that could be a pretty epic event!), but that upwards of 50 players might participate in a setting, with the DM running different groups at different times. The notion of discreet campaigns came along later. Consider, for example, Gygax's account of certain sessions he DMed. He has told a lot of stories about games where someone delved into the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk alone. Presumably, this player had to trek through a few empty chambers already cleared by other players in the same "game."

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Dungeon Masters Guide - Part 3

Originally published August, 1979

Version being read and reviewed: Dungeon Masters Guide 1st Edition Premium Reprint (July, 2012)

I'm going to try to speed this up a bit and zoom through the next few sections so I can get back to a more regular posting schedule. This book may be a beloved classic but its organized like a...like a something that isn't very organized.

Character abilities and races get a brief overview from the DM's point of view before we move on to discussions on how to adjudicate the various class abilities. Random tables for followers gained at high levels are up first, with clerics, fighters, thieves, and assassins all having relatively straight forward tables but rangers getting a complex series of tables that could see the ranger getting a flying mount, a mundane NPC, an animal, or even a storm giant! The paladin's warhorse gets a special section of its own as acquiring it is an adventure in and of itself.

After an in depth discussion of adjudicating thief and assassin abilities (including poison use), Gary discusses using monster as player characters. Unlike later editions which have all had supplements with rules for this sort of thing, Gary provides only the barest of guidelines here. The assumption is that the primary motivation for wanting to play a monster is munchkinism, not any desire to explore a significantly different sort of role. The section also emphasizes the human-centric nature of the game and that human characters in a fantasy setting are fantastical enough without allowing monster PCs. Being a fan of monster characters and later supplements like the Complete Book of Humanoids (2nd Edition) and Savage Species (3rd Edition), I find the tone taken here to be a little off-putting. Lycanthropy also gets a fairly significant chunk of space in the book with a few rules to back up the idea that willingly playing a lycanthrope is a bad idea.

Alignment, alignment, alignment. How many alignment debates have their been online and even in individual game groups? I think a lot of the debate surrounding alignment stems from the extensive rules found in this book for it. Alignment rules diminish with each edition until, now, they are practically non-existent in D&D 5th Edition. DMs are encouraged to graph each player character's alignment...wait what? Am I back in high school geometry...only graphing behavior? This boggles my mind. The "stick-up-the-rear" LG Paladin stereotype seems to originate here as DMs are told to not allow the other PCs to conveniently "fool" or distract the paladin while they indulge in nefarious, non-LG activities. And changing alignment invokes a level drain penalty? Whaaaat? And don't get me started on alignment languages. I'm glad those went away. They never made sense to me.

After a discussion of money (keep PCs poor so sayeth the book), we get in to detailed descriptions of hirelings and mercenary troops with sages getting the most detail. We then move on to Nodwick...er...I mean henchmen. Henchman seem to be a pretty big deal in this version of the game and their loyalty has a complicated system of percentages that I don't even begin to want to figure out.

Time was the single most important thing in the whole game, at least according to page 37. A campaign is meaningless without properly keeping track of time. Reading a little more in-depth here, it seems that DMs were expected or at least assumed to have more than one group of players in their campaign worlds and so careful track of time was necessary to prevent overlap and paradoxes and such. This also makes sense with the whole 50 player thing from the original edition.

Spells are talked about next. Clerics have an increasingly hard time getting their spells as they gain levels as the highest levels are all granted by DM...er...deity fiat and if the cleric has been misbehaving the deity can say "no." Magic-Users have a slightly easier time of things, though, which spells they find and can thus attempt to add to their spellbooks, is still entirely up to the DM. The metaphysics of spellcasting are more detailed in this edition than I remember from any other edition. Apparently, all spells draw on energy from the positive or negative energy planes. We then get into adjudicating specific spells.

Adventuring in the wilderness doesn't hold too many surprises, other than a fairly detailed look at aerial adventuring and combat as well as naval adventuring and ship to ship combat. We round that off with a brief look at underwater adventuring (which has seemingly always been overly complicated, regardless of edition). A brief discussion of the planes includes a note about crossing AD&D over with TSR's other games of the time - Boot Hill (old west), Gamma World (post apocalyptic), Metamorphosis Alpha (sci-fi), and something called Tractics which I have never heard of.

And, finally, we have the combat rules, conspicuously missing from the PHB. Although relatively complex, AD&D combat doesn't seem anymore complicated than 3.5 combat, really. Just some slightly different math (and lots of tables to consult). We also have psionic combat with the defense modes and attack modes and...ouch. Its ironic that the psionics rules hurt my brain.

The discussion of saving throws takes an interesting turn, first going in to the rule's origins in wargaming and then discussing why they exist - the PCs are the protagonists and thus should have a chance to escape even certain death, hence the need for saving throws. Poison saves get into the discussion of the abstract nature of hit points. I'm reminded of the "damage on a miss" debates that raged across the D&D corner of the internet during 4th Edition and the D&D Next playtest. Poison saves are an all or nothing save (i.e. Save or Die) because of the hit point abstraction. Either the poisoned weapon actually scratched you and you die from poison (failed save) or the weapon didn't actually cause any physical harm despite reducing hit points (successful save).

After briefly covering intoxication we get in to insanity, along with a random table and descriptions of various sorts. I find insanity mechanics in RPGs to be troublesome for a variety of reasons. Mental health is a real concern and turning various aspects of it into game mechanics that are poorly researched and are often played for laughs is not something I'm ok with. However, the inclusion of such mechanics was pretty common in this era of RPGs (here in AD&D, Call of Cthulhu of course, and Palladium's first offerings in the early 80s to name a few, proceeding all the way to the 90s and Vampire: The Masquerade's exceedingly bothersome inclusion of the Malkavian clan of vampires). Thankfully, most modern RPGs have done away with this sort of thing.

Experience Points are a bit more complicated here than they would be in later editions. Monster XP is based not only on its level/hit dice but its individual hit points. The more HP it has, the more XP its worth. This was also the era of gaining XP from treasure, with a generally 1 to 1 ratio of gold piece value to XP. The benefit of this system, though, was that the DM could control the rate of level gain pretty easily via the amount of treasure gained in adventures. Of course, that also meant that player characters tended to end up with more gold than they knew what to do with by level 5 or so (since you couldn't buy magic items). Gaining levels here is not automatic - the DM is encouraged to charge extra time and money for training based on how well the character roleplayed their general role and alignment. "Poor" players thus end up having a hard time leveling up, regardless of XP.

We shall stop here for tonight and try to push through another chunk of the book next time.

Next up: Dungeon Master's Guide (1st Edition) (Part 4)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Dungeon Masters Guide - Part 4

Version being read and reviewed: Dungeon Masters Guide 1st Edition Premium Reprint (July, 2012)

This book is seriously kicking my butt. Onward we go...

There's been a lot written about creating a campaign world over the years. Here, Gary advises taking the "start small" approach - a village and a dungeon and detailing the world from there as player characters get powerful to explore those simple starting points. I have created homebrew worlds with the "start small" approach and the top-down approach and generally prefer a mix of both. I like to have an idea of the broader aspects of the setting (an outline of its history, the cosmology, and an idea of the nations and empires existing in the world) and then focus in on a village and adventure location. The sort of organic development Gary describes is something I've only experienced a couple of times, however, as most of my campaigns don't last long enough to hit higher levels.

Gary seems to be a bit critical of hyper-realists (those DMs who insist on excruciating levels of realism and detail on things like weather patterns, climate, and ecology). I wonder if such DMs were ever really common, however, as I've never heard of anyone being that painstaking.

Moving on to Typical Inhabitants (of a campaign, I'm assuming) we have a nice little chart to approximate combat ability and hit points of typical commoners...with females having lower ability than males. We also have another personal note on the subject of the terms freemen and gentlemen - "Note that the masculine/human usage is generic; I do not like the terms freecreatures or gentlebeings!" Another indication that Gygax was fully aware of gender issues of the time and consciously chose the less equal path. I know, I know, 1979 was a different era. Let's just say I'm happy the game managed to evolve out of this sort of thing with later editions.

The accumulation of wealth by the player characters is always a point of debate. How much is too much? Too little? What's available for them to spend their money on? Gygax suggests using the logistics of getting treasure hoards home as a means of controlling wealth acquisition. The dragon may have a huge hoard, but the PCs will only be able to carry a small portion of it. By the time they get back to loot the rest, other monsters, bandits, etc will have plucked the place clean. Its been my experience that a lot of players get rather bored dealing with things like encumbrance and such, however - they want to play Dungeons & Dragons, not Accounting & Logistics.

On page 95 we have a sample dungeon map that's quite familiar. It makes its first appearance here but also shows up in the 3E, 3.5, and 5E DMGs. We have an example of play utilizing this map, similar to the one found in 3rd Edition (though, here, the lead character does most of the interacting with the DM, which, as I noted earlier in this thread, seems like a titanically boring way to play for the other players).

I intend to power through the rest of this book in the next installment as the magic items are coming up soon and, as with spells and monsters, I have no intention of reviewing every last one of them, only touching on the highlights. That's all for now, though. Until next time.

Next up: Dungeon Master's Guide (1st Edition) (Part 5)

Prince Atom

Explorer
I have worked climatology into my campaigns, but generally only when using the World Builder's Guidebook. Other than that, I try to account for watersheds and low spots and rain shadows, but I don't bust my butt working it all out.

That's a lengthy example of play, but I recognize the end of it from 3E -- that poor gnome! Way to leap to help him, group.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
I have worked climatology into my campaigns, but generally only when using the World Builder's Guidebook. Other than that, I try to account for watersheds and low spots and rain shadows, but I don't bust my butt working it all out.

That's a lengthy example of play, but I recognize the end of it from 3E -- that poor gnome! Way to leap to help him, group.

The role of the gnome was played by the iconic halfling rogue, Lidda, in the 3E version. She didn't fare much better. :)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Dungeon Masters Guide - Part 5

This is it. I am finishing this book, no matter how long this post ends up being.

NPCs - lots of tables for randomly determining everything about NPCs, mostly about their personalities. We then get into a discussion of the roleplaying of special DM roles - Henchmen, hirelings, monsters, and some others. Gygax leans toward making all NPCs, even good-aligned ones, greedy and even a little annoying. There's also a series of detailed examples of how various groups of monsters would behave during attacks, retreat, and follow-up attacks by PCs. Compatibility of humanoid troops rounds out the section - interesting and something I might consider using when I run adventures like Temple of Elemental Evil (where there's a fair variety of humanoid critters milling about).

Construction and siege rules appear next. This all strikes me as being a slightly unnecessary level of detail, at least in terms of anything beyond how long it takes to finish construction. The various types of constructions are nifty, especially if PCs want to build themselves strongholds, though I have never had a player in 27 years of playing D&D ever want to settle down and build a castle and/or run a domain.

The next section is titled "Conducting the Game" is all about the various kernels of DMing advice that have graced every DMG to various extents. A few observations - I must say I prefer the Passive Perception style rules of later editions to secretly making listen rolls and such behind the screen for players. I am a firm believer in letting the players control as much of the flow and narrative of the game as possible, though, while I provide the setting and challenges. Gary's first piece of advice for handling problem players - kick them out. Something I agree with. Better no game than bad game as far as I'm concerned. The infamous and amusing "blue lightning bolt from the heavens" method of punishing problem players also makes an appearance. I find that sort of thing to be ridiculously heavy-handed and suitable only for a comedy campaign. Something I have never been a fan of is bringing a character from another DM's campaign into one of my existing campaigns. It just doesn't jive with the way I DM (each campaign is a contained story with each character being integrated in to the story and world).

Interestingly, we have some basic conversion guides for Boot Hill (TSR's old west RPG) and Gamma World (TSR's somewhat gonzo post-apocalyptic sci-fi RPG). These sections are significantly out-dated now, of course, since Boot Hill is long out of print and Gamma World has seen a number of editions of its own, with the most recent being a version based on the D&D 4th Edition rules. Mixing genres is something I am quite fond of, however. Two of my D&D 5E Play-by-Post campaigns here on EN World are genre-benders - one is a sci-fi meets fantasy space opera based on the classic "Lost in Space" premise, the other is a post-apocalyptic take on the classic Blackmoor setting, transplanting it to Earth 1,000 years after a magical invasion and apocalypse.

Creating spells and items is a lengthy and expensive process suitable only to high level spellcasters. Seems like everything is expensive...that explains where the seemingly absurd amounts of money in adventures goes, I guess...at least for the spellcasting PCs. Even so, I've also never had players interested in inventing new spells or crafting magic items.

Potion Miscibility! I love this table. An effective and amusing deterrent to chugging a bunch of different "buff" potions.

Energy Drain! Oh how I loathe all variations of this mechanic. Losing a level is nothing more than an absurd amount of paperwork, possibly (probably) right in the middle of combat. The only mechanic that comes close to the level of irritation I have with level drain is ability score damage, which creates almost as much in-combat recalculating of the character sheet.

And now we finally get to the plethora of random treasure and magic item tables. I find it interesting that despite the admonitions against selling magic items earlier in the book and the level of difficulty recommended the DM set up in finding a buyer that there are, in fact, GP values listed in the magic item tables. This also seems to run counter to the anecdotes of old school DMs and players who are strongly against the "magic item shop" style of play. At any rate, the prices are quite a bit cheaper than their later edition counterparts.

As mentioned before, I'm going to skim through the magic item descriptions as there are a lot of them, most of them relatively boring. A few highlights...

The various control potions (potion of dragon control, potion of undead control, etc) are something that was phased out of later editions, with good reason I think. They are basically, "Get out of this encounter free" cards. I do, however, miss the various Protection scrolls (well, I should say I missed them in 3.5 and 4E as they are back in 5E).

The retributive strike on the Staff of the Magi and Staff of Power always fascinated me - sort of a last ditch, do or die thing when all else fails. One of my unfulfilled DMing goals is to have an epic story moment where there's the possibility of a retributive strike, either by the PCs or the villain.

Lots of cursed items intermingled among the useful miscellaneous items. I'm not really a fan of cursed items - they strike me as another "gotcha" mechanic that breaks immersion for me.

The Deck of Many Things - I love it dearly, but mostly for its wacky effects on a campaign. I've only ever managed to use it once in a way that didn't completely derail the campaign.

Speaking of cursed items - the Girdle of Femininity/Masculinity - this thing is such a can of worms. Gender shouldn't be a curse, first and foremost. However, it did provide a limited sort of outlet for folks like me (transgender) to have a bit of wish fulfillment in a time when acceptance was fleeting. Ultimately, the progress society and gaming has made in the recognition and acceptance of the gender spectrum has rendered this item irrelevant in modern D&D...thank goodness.

I don't recall ever seeing the Instruments of the Bards before; they're mechanically like staffs (collections of spells) but only usable by bards (they deal damage to non-bards). I kind of like 'em, or at least the idea, since the bard in this game is something rather elite and unusual.

I once used a Mirror of Opposition in a 2nd Edition campaign to create one of the campaign's primary antagonists (long story short, on one of the first adventures of a Dragonlance campaign, the entire party was duplicated and most of the doubles were defeated, but the duplicate of the party thief got away; later the PCs went after a dragon hoard only to discover that the duplicate had beaten them there - then the Mists of Ravenloft swallowed the PCs, the dragon, and the duplicate and cursed the duplicate and the source PC to experience eachother's wounds and pain).

Artifacts - As with OD&D, most of the details and powers of artifacts are left up to the DM to determine. Nothing surprising here otherwise as a lot of the classics had previously made their debut in OD&D.

Appendix A: Random Dungeons - Nifty little batch of tables to whip up an adventure in a pinch, or even indulge in some solo play if one is so inclined. It strikes me that the old dungeon geomorph products or modern dungeon tiles would come in handy for this sort of thing.

Appendix B: Random Wilderness - Much less here to play with; the DM is left to improvise quite a bit more than with dungeons.

Appendix C: Random Monster Encounters - Interesting little note at the beginning of this section: almost all of the critters on the tables are from the Monster Manual with the notable exception of two daemons from D3: Vault of the Drow. I find it amusing that on the 10th level of a dungeon, you can have a random encounter with an archdevil or demon prince. And the infamous random harlot table is something we find hidden among the random encounters for cities and towns.

Appendix D: Random Planar Critters - This one is interesting in that its intended to conjure up a brand new outsider on the spot if the DM wants to liven things up with something that isn't in the Monster Manual.

Appendix E: Big Sideways Table of Critters - Yeah...moving on.

Appendix F: Gambling - A variety of simple rules for dice and card games of various sorts. Most of which are either based on real world games or simple games made up to use components likely to be in a gamer's collection - dice, checkerboards, and the like.

Appendix G: Traps - Just a random table of traps.

Appendix H: Tricks - A variety of dungeon, let's call them obstacles, that DM's can toss in to confound players, most of them of the "gotcha" variety.

Appendix I: Dungeon Dressing - Tables full of minor decor to make dungeons more immersive.

Appendix J: Herbs, Spices, and Medicinals - A great big list of plant-based odds and ends and what they might be useful for.

Appendix K: Describing Magical Substances - A handy guide for adding flavor (sometimes literally) to magic items.

Appendix L: Conjured Animals - Tables for the creature summoning spells - you couldn't choose your critter when summoning, you got whatever the dice pulled out of the ether, so to speak.

Appendix M: Summoned Monsters - Same deal as L, but with mostly extraplanar critters.

Appendix N: Inspirational and Educational Reading - The most famous of the DMG appendices, in the introduction Gygax notes with fondness the imagined and made-up tales his father used to tell. After the list of fantasy authors and their works, Gygax notes a few that had a direct influence on AD&D - de Camp & Pratt, REH (presumably Robert E. Howard, Conan author), Leiber, Vance, HPL (Lovecraft, I presume), and Merritt. Though Tolkien is present on the main list, his absence from this "direct influence" list is striking.

Appendix O: Encumbrance of Standard Items - A table of items and weights; why this isn't in the PHB equipment tables is beyond me.

Appendix P: Random Parties - Basically, putting together quick PCs for impromptu games.

And we end with a Glossary and an Afterword. The afterword seems oddly contradictory in that it proposes that the rules should not take precedence over the spirit of the game, yet admonishes the DM to keep a tight grip on the game, lest the players take control.

We also have, wonder of wonders, a combined Index for both the PHB and DMG.

Despite being haphazardly organized and sometimes condescending in tone, the 1st Edition DMG is rightfully a classic among gaming tomes. I am thankful, however, that this not the edition I started with. I don't know that I would have continued had I tried to muddle through the AD&D books as a young teenager.

Next up: S2: White Plume Mountain

P.S. - Phew, I finally finished the darn thing.

Last edited:

Remove ads