Let's read the entire run

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
Dragon Magazine Issue 221: September 1995Can druids wear armour other than leather (as long as it's made from natural materials )
Ha, I love that answer. It never occures to them that clothing is just as manufactured as plate armor is. In fact, just about everything an adventurer has, other than clubs, berries, etc., is manufactured. And don't tell me steel isn't natural. The best steel comes from rocks... From Spaaaace! :angel: (Ok, they're from space, but they're still natural.)

Orius

Legend
I remember being annoyed that Floyd was introduced just before the end of Yamara, on the assumption it was essentially that strip's replacement. But I grew to enjoy it. At any rate, I like a lot more than Nodwick. Did Williams ever make a proper ending to it?

I don't think anything ever happened with it after the last strip in Dragon 245. I agree that while Nodwick was much funnier, Floyd had a more interesting storyline and world, and I was always disappointed that he let the story end where he did.

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 221: September 1995

part 8/8

The game wizards: Back to bigging up the CCG's in here. Quite literally, as it's time for the gods to be introduced to the Blood War. So this is another basic promotional article, listing the various new cards that are coming out in the expansion, and giving us a couple of themed sample decks. Yawn. It's over quickly, so I shall skip over it quickly as well, knowing that they'll hopefully be getting rid of this kind of dreck soon. Why is reading about this so much duller than the wargaming stuff in the early 80's? Why have their methods changed for the worse so significantly? Why does this not make me want to investigate the games further at all? I'm sure their marketing people would love to know the answer to that. Trouble is, if it's something like you can't manufacture sincere enthusiasm, and people can tell the difference, there's not a lot you can do apart from easing up on the top down control, and hoping someone comes along with a cool new idea that isn't focus-grouped into blandness.

Eye of the monitor: As mentioned earlier, this is Jay and Dee's final appearance. Their sacking must have been fairly abrupt, because they don't get given the chance to say goodbye, instead treating this as just another day at the office. Indeed, they introduce another reviewer as if he will become a regular contributor, when in actuality, we never see him in the magazine again. I'm having flashbacks to the mysterious disappearance of Pinsom and Jasmine when Kim took over. There's definitely some behind the scenes unpleasantness going on this time round. Who else will be on the chopping block?

Hammer of the gods is a sim game with you playing vikings building communities, and then going out looting and pillaging. With decent diplomacy options, extra quests, and multiplayer options, it offers more than enough choices to keep you busy for a long time, and doesn't get boring while doing so. Sounds like you can get good bang for your buck from this one.

Machiavelli the Prince gets a second review in quick succession. (again) This time they are aware of the previous review and try and comment around it. In the end though, it doesn't hold up quite as well as Hammer of the Gods, which seems more cohesive in design.

Toh Shin Den and Ridge Racer get tiny reviews from just Dee. The first is a reasonably good fighting game, while the second is a rather bog standard racing game. Nothing much to say here. It's as if he was interrupted mid review or something. Hmm.

High seas Trader has a rather long, but ultimately negative review from our guest reviewer. It looks good, and there's plenty to do, with a good economic system, but the combat system sucks, and many of the options are simply suboptimal or not expanded upon properly. Sounds like it needed a good deal more development and playtesting before being released.

TSR Previews: The Forgotten Realms triple bills again. Elminster's ecologies get a second appendix, covering two more out of the way adventuring locales. Just how likely are you to find certain monsters there? Back in the Dalelands, Randal Morn is rescued and takes his rightful place. Assuming the PC's have done their job. You could get a doppleganger to take his place and rule in his stead. :rubs hands evily: And similarly, Troy Denning completes the giants trilogy with The Titan of Twilight. Happy ending left open for future adventures seems the likely order of the day, if I know them.

Planescape gets it's second Monstrous compendium appendix. More creatures nifty and weird, including a complete set of mephits for all your elemental mischief, and a bunch of new alignment exemplar races. As you'd expect, many of these are powerful, and have annoying laundry lists of powers and immunities. Magic missile is no longer the old faithful it used to be.

Ravenloft reprints I, Strahd in paperback. Yawn. Not worth mentioning, really.

Endless Quest revisits greyhawk in Bigby's curse. Keep him from becoming a lich? That sounds a bit sketchy. Normally you don't get to be a lich without serious conscious effort, and stay fairly rational if you do. Who's idea was this.

And finally, we have the Terror T. R. A. X. interactive audio CD games. More buh inducing and probably expensive to produce ideas. Did they have a bloc hiring of studio time they needed to fill or something?

As usual, there are a few great articles in this one, but there really is a landslide of poor articles, plus the rather badly handled removal of the computer games columnists. It feels like people are quitting because they cant take the pressure, and their replacements are throwing their weight around, and in the process deadlines are slipping and quality control is being forgotten. If anything, this is the most turmoil-ridden issue yet. Have we reached the bottom, or is there even worse to follow? Guess I'll find out soon enough.

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 222: October 1995

part 1/8

show-water.phtml

124 pages. We get a funny little red triangle underlining the various headers. Is this your revamp? It looks crap, especially superimposed upon the more conventionally painted rest of the cover. It's like someone's first attempt with 3D modelling software. The rest of the cover isn't too bad though, occupying the uncanny valley nicely. Inside, they're experimenting with format too, changing the shapes and colour schemes of all the headers, and often not getting it quite right. Things have come down to the wire enough that they're making their mistakes in public again, rather than having a decent buffer. And unlike me, they can't slow down to deal with the pressure better. Well, it's more interesting than the first half of this year, anyway. Let's see what's happened to the writing.

In this issue:

Letters: A letter from someone who has players who refuse to learn the rules. If they're really that dumb, you may have to just drop them. Some people are not worth the effort.

A complaint about the whole SASE thing being a pain when you're an international writer. Yes, you will have to pay extra. If they want to help with that, they could start allowing online submissions and correspondence.

A letter asking if the new printings of the corebooks are essential. Of course not, my dear. Merely desirable for both you and I.

A letter criticising issue 219's armor nerfing article. It's amazing what a well trained person can do even in full plate, and the agility hit isn't that great if it's properly fitted and balanced. They were merely overexaggerating for genre emulation.

And finally, a continuation on the alcohol question. It should be done responsibly. Yes, but irresponsible drinking is responsible for so many interesting stories in real life it would be a shame to leave it out of our gaming.

Editorial: Hello to a second new editor this year. Anthony Bryant wasn't a promotion, but someone headhunted from an entirely different magazine, moving in from a different state as well. Which means that learning the ropes has been compounded with the shock of adapting to the weather and new environment. Still, he seems to be both a professional in the field, and a long-term gamer, which is obviously what they're looking for, hoping to shake things up in a way that promoting upwards wouldn't manage. Well, there are worse things to try, but it does mean that the lower members of staff are now more experienced than the boss, which I know full well can cause resentment and erode team spirit. So once again I'm suspicious about this, especially as he doesn't seem to have lasted very long in the job. What things will they try during his tenure? As usual, we'll find out soon enough.

Orius

Legend

And now we get into my personal collection proper. Like I said above, Floyd was one of the things that hooked me into the magazine, and I think I actually bought the November issue first, then went back and bought this one. Anyway, it was Floyd and the game articles that reeled me in and certainly not the cover.

Is this your revamp? It looks crap, especially superimposed upon the more conventionally painted rest of the cover. It's like someone's first attempt with 3D modelling software.

This is where it first popped up? Well, it certainly didn't last very long, and someone probably shared your opinion of it. And Roger manages to poke fun at it in a later issue.

The rest of the cover isn't too bad though, occupying the uncanny valley nicely.

If by nicely you mean occupying the nadir with the zombie, then yeah. Lich in a nightie ain't exactly my thing.

A letter criticising issue 219's armor nerfing article. It's amazing what a well trained person can do even in full plate, and the agility hit isn't that great if it's properly fitted and balanced. They were merely overexaggerating for genre emulation.

Yeah, these armchair historians like to pop up every so often in the Letters an Forum.

So once again I'm suspicious about this, especially as he doesn't seem to have lasted very long in the job. What things will they try during his tenure? As usual, we'll find out soon enough.

I don't know what happened to him. Sounds from his editorial that TSR is shuffling people all around like crazy.

(un)reason

Legend

part 2/8

First quest: Doug Niles finally takes a turn here. He's the pulp guy, and it's not at all surprising he got inspired to engage in gaming via that route. Actually, it looks like he might well have been a writer anyway, even without being introduced to roleplaying by a rather large stroke of luck. But even so, having people to test out your ideas on a weekly basis does do quite a bit for your creative confidence. After all, if you don't enjoy something, it becomes a lot harder to persist with it and get really good. This is really a reminder that very few great things happen in a vacuum, and luck plays a huge part in people's lives. And also, incidentally, a reminder that Gary was a fairly mature adult with teenage kids when he developed D&D, not some whiz-kid, and that probably also had a significant influence on early playtests. So unlike the last few, this column actually has a degree of significance in overall gaming history. That is an improvement.

The Death Knight: Well, we're having a decent halloween themed beginning, anyway. Death knights are dramatically interesting because you have to have started off as a good guy and then fallen to darkness to become one. This isn't exactly an ecology, more the equivalent of Council of Wyrms or the complete book of humanoids, turning them from a monster entry into a class/race combo by letting them scale, spreading the abilities they gain out over various levels, and codifying the amount of undead followers they gain. It's obviously intended to keep them as bad guys, but like antipaladins, there is sufficient detail that a PC could run one if they were permitted too. In any case, it lets you customise them quite nicely as big bads, and also provides roleplaying and adventure designing hints for campaigns featuring them. So this is a pretty likable feature, that does something they haven't done for way too long. New classes, kits and races are one of those things the magazine is ideally suited to cover, that they don't do nearly enough on. Hopefully that's one of the things they'll fix in this revamp.

The necrology of the Penanggalan: Ahh, ecologies under another name. We've had a few of those over the years, all with a different twist. In this case, well, the fact that it involves undead should make the reason behind this name change pretty clear. This is a fairly familiar story of corruption, deception, and aaaaaaaangst. But the body horror of the original myths has been played down, with the full-on display of flying viscera that they possessed in 1st ed replaced by a more utilitarian combo blood reservoir and clubbing device. Bloody 2nd ed bowdlerisation. It also has that other great staple, of the woman trying to prove herself in a man's world. And then turning into a weepy twit under pressure and having to be rescued instead of seeing that there is a pragmatic solution to the problem at hand. You're living in a magic heavy world. Do you not think that the solution to the little issue of becoming an undead bloodsucking fiend would not be known to your bosses. Dear oh dear. It's certainly not dull, but I do not approve of several of these stylistic choices. If this is the kind of thing that'll be even more common next year, it's going to get pretty irritating.

(un)reason

Legend

part 3/8

Role-playing reviews is in theme, as isn't too surprising. Dark magic for villains to glory in, and heroes to be tempted by. Virtually every successful game has something like that, so there's no shortage of things to review. The formatting change for the header isn't too jarring either. This doesn't look like it's being hurt by the changeover. Plus the intro is pretty good, and has some amusing callbacks to previous reviews. He's still got it.

GURPS Voodoo sees CJ Carella do WoD lite. Wait a minute. Isn't that exactly what Witchcraft has been described as as well? :D Not that it's much like the later game, with the focus being on ritual magic and a detailed, well researched, fairly realistic portrayal of the supernatural elements. And since he's going from this to Palladium's Nightbane, he can hardly be said to lack versatility. If anything, it tries to throw too much into the pot, trying to make the scope global and compatible with the themes of many other GURPS supplements. Still, they certainly can't call it bland, unlike many other books they've reviewed in the past.

The complete book of necromancers has plenty of cool bits and pieces, but two main criticisms. It's aimed towards DM's and discourages players from using it, which may reduce it's sales somewhat. And it's just too darn polite and tame in contrast to White Wolf's lurid output around the same time. Where are the decaying entrails and cackling inanity?!!!1 TSR being stuck in the disney position, trying to be the family friendly good guys everyone else plays off does have it's limitations.

The bronze grimoire is the magic expansion for the Elric RPG. As this is from the works of Michael Moorcock, Law vs Chaos is the primary conflict in the universe and magic is moderately firmly on the side of chaos. Which means it has some rather interesting side-effects if the spells go wrong, and the rune magic operates under rules that are even more detailed and idiosyncratic. Rick's main complaint this time is that it's not very friendly to people who haven't read the original books, with setting detail being a bit sparse. Gotta collect 'em all, etc etc. Really, who buys a licensed game without reading the source material first? (although I must admit I was tempted with Smallville)

Mage: The ascension gets 4 page spread of rich purple to advertise it's new edition. White Wolf has a promotional budget, and they're not afraid to do a little splurging.

(un)reason

Legend

part 4/8

Sage advice also has to put up with the horrible triangle underlining it. And answering questions about players option stuff. Hard times are comin for the company, and skip's gotta lump it with everyone else.

Why aren't attack options modified by character size (Finesse is more important than mass in D&D. Abstract combat, remember.)

What are the stats for shield punches and rushes (Does skip have to write this? Please, Lorraine, have mercy. :looks up: :Crash of thunder, stab of organ music: Yes mistress, Skip understands. Skip will tell them.)

Shouldn't light and medium lances inflict double damage from horseback (yes)
Are lanterns really that light (No. Did you really want to know that? Now you have several extra pounds of equipment to worry about.)

Shouldn't the staff sling be large (no. Your knowledge of historical weapons is insufficient, fool)

Do creatures with low AC's become immune to whips (nah. Abstract combat again. You can always get 'em in the eyes if they don't have any other weak spots.)

Isn't the direct fire example wrong (No, you're wrong! Get outta Skip's sight, you peon! )

What's the damage for a gaff/hook (Same as it ever was. Aint that the way you like it, livin wild wild wild.)

My old kits don't work with the new rules! (Nope. You'll have to choose. One or the other, you can't have both. So what's it gonna be? Are you prepared to make that choice? )

Do any kits automatically get weapon mastery ( no. You gotta pay the price if you wanna be that badass)

The new initiative system is messed up! (Yeah. Skip completely ag :Crash of thunder, ominous organ music: er ...... disagrees with you, fool! It makes perfect sense! Now here's a message from our sponsors. )

What's the deal with guarding (we're doing experiments with stuff we might want to put in the new edition, like attacks of opportunity)

Why do psonic creatures have to wait to use their powers (Speed of thought isn't infinite. Big creatures have big brains, so the thoughts take longer to get from one end of it to the other.)

Rumblings once again repeats what we just found out in the editorial anyway. What a waste of word count. Other than that, they're also again more concerned with computer games than straight RPG's. Interplay's plans for the Forgotten Realms, Planescape and Dragon Dice continue to gather steam, and on top of that, they're planning another console D&D game for the Playstation & Saturn. There's also Magic: the gathering and Illuminati spinoffs on the way. I guess CCG's and computer games are now far more dominant in terms of media space. The result is that they seem to be actively pushing our spending away from RPGing. This column is still a real problem then.

(un)reason

Legend

part 5/8

Roaming the Realms: Another IC narrated bit of Forgotten Realms setting building. Those are generally pretty entertaining. Curiously, it's not by Ed or one of his regular sidekicks like Jeff or Steven. It is however quite high density, fitting in stuff about a whole bunch of elf settlements, their cultural quirks and significant NPC's. Exactly who the narrator is isn't revealed, although we do get some hints. This isn't bad at all, although unlike with Ed's stuff you don't get the impression that all the hints connect up to a bigger world out there. I suppose that's another sign of how big the realms has become, and how many people are playing in it these days. It might not all add up, which means you'll have to choose which ideas to give priority. And if there's a conflict, I'm afraid I'm probably going to go with Ed's vision. Overall, this article'll just have to join the many in the middle, not having anything to mark it as brilliant or terrible.

Fiction: On the scent at slab's by John Gregory Betancourt. A belated third appearance in the magazine for this series. (see issues 105 and 126) I get the impression that there may be other stories in this series published elsewhere, and a little googling confirms this. I must pick up that anthology at that point. Once again this manages to be both funny and creepy, with the ghosts both interestingly alien in their actions and all too human in their motivations. By this point, I suspect he has a fairly good idea of the world around the tavern, even if the details were originally invented just to serve the stories. It certainly seems like a solid enough place to game in, even if it doesn't exactly fit D&D or wraith rules. In any case, it's both a welcome returnee, and a good story in it's own right, with plenty of room still for further follow-ups. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we get another instalment, so I'm a little disappointed. Guess it'll have to go down as another unfulfilled opportunity. Will anyone ever overtake Niall's record of 8 stories in the early years of the magazine? They've got a pretty steep hill to climb. (Or they'll need to bribe the editors. ;) )

Dragon interviews Steven Brust: After statting out Vlad Taltos a couple of issues ago, we now get to see the man behind the books. I suspect they might have been intended to go in the same issue, but you know what it's been like around here lately. Still, this is a very interesting interview, as we get to see a lot of the interplay between what someone intends to write, and what actually comes out. It does look like his writing involves quite a bit of conscious examination of fantasy, and his own tendencies, and then deliberately undercutting overused tropes so as to keep things interesting. He also reveals that he's toying with his audience as well, telling the stories in the books from the viewpoints of the characters, and intentionally misrepresenting certain details due to their biases. It's all very tricksy, and he certainly seems to be having fun with his writing. It's fortunate for him that writing what he likes resulted in the public liking it too, and playing with author voice didn't make them complain about being deceived and railroaded. Much of it comes down to not forgetting the core elements, like action and snappy dialogue, whatever experiments you're trying out in the larger scheme of things. That even carries over into the interview, where he manages to communicate a lot with fairly curt answers. And since he's still going today, he's obviously managed to find the sweet spot between giving the people what they want, and what they don't expect but will wind up liking anyway. I approve of this interview, as it's fun to read, is of a gamer, and gives us lots of tricks to play with, and possibly try in our own games. It's certainly much better than most of the Novel Ideas interviews.

Remove ads