• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's read the entire run

Orius

Legend
Well, if it makes you feel better, I did put one of those scabbards in at least one of my treasure piles. And because this is me, it was one of the cursed scabbards. :devil: The scabbard of cowardice I thought ws a nice little item becuase it has the usual cursed problems, but it's not instantly lethal or massively character crippling, which the sort of cursed item I prefer to use.

Well, if it makes you feel better, I did put one of those scabbards in at least one of my treasure piles. And because this is me, it was one of the cursed scabbards. :devil: The scabbard of cowardice I thought ws a nice little item becuase it has the usual cursed problems, but it's not instantly lethal or massively character crippling, which the sort of cursed item I prefer to use.

:) it occurred to me later that I should have made the scabbard a talking one, and it would say stuff like, "No! Give peace a chance!" and "You want to fight that big ugly monster?! No!! Run away!!"

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 226: February 1996

part 4/8

Rifts is now up to 11 world books. Just how many more can they come up with? It's a big world out there, after all.

Miniature player character record sheets: Well, this is a turn-up. Normally, when they give us extra character sheets, they're longer than the standard one. Some can go up to 4, maybe even 6 pages in complex and highly customised systems. Maybe that isn't what you want though. Maybe you want a sheet that cuts out all the stuff that isn't relevant for your class, thus allowing it to actually be smaller. So yeah, three little sheets, one for fighters, one for rogues and one for spellcasters. Enjoy. Not a bad idea, but one of those cases where there just isn't much to say. Keep it up.

Forum: Tim Nutting reminds people that if they have a problem with their game, discussing it with their DM and other players will be more likely to solve it than writing to the forum and waiting several months for your letter to be printed and maybe get replies. I'm not going to argue with that at all.

Eyal Teler moves into using e-mail. He again recommends the turnabout is fair play method of dealing with annoying players. Do as you would be done by is a lesson everyone should learn.

Ryan Leach thinks that DM's ought to try and make new players particularly welcome rather than the opposite. Mind you don't get patronising though.

Eleanor Clarke gives her experiences with sexism, which haven't been too bad. But if you do encounter it, exploit it, instead of getting intimidated. People trying to chat you up are particularly vulnerable to all kinds of subtle humiliations. And then you wonder why we get shy and bitter.

William Valentine is another guy who just shrugs at the fact that not many women are interested in roleplaying. It might be nice to have a few more, but it's not worth stressing about.

Rogues gallery: A dwarf who wears nothing but armor? Oh dear. I'm sure that's meant to sound badass, but it actually sounds hilarious. What, nothing at all underneath it? And he will wear nothing but armour until he finds or avenges his family. Can you say chilly and chafing. Well, it keeps you looking brooding and the smell will keep you a loner. So yeah, this month's character is a fail simply because it's so cliched and unintentionally funny. Did no-one spot that, or did they put it in precisely for that reason. It's certainly a very sharp step downwards from last month. I do wonder what they'll try and serve us next.

Network news: Another PSA from the RPGA, as they try and expand their user base. This time, it's by explaining how you get an official RPGA presence at your convention, and encouraging smaller conventions around the world to write to them and request permission to run official adventures. A lot of recruits are made via people playing a con game casually, and then getting hooked on the idea of tapping into a wider world of gamers. So the idea of getting more people on the ground seems a rather good one. Build things from grass-roots support, instead of just bombarding us with adverts (especially when they don't have the money for regular TV ads anyway) Once again it seems like this is one department of the company that has it's head screwed on straight, while around them is much flailing. I'd be pleased to see them succeed.

Erik Mona

Adventurer
and that was the last gaming article I had published.... after this came WOTC, Paizo, 3E, plagues of locusts, etc. etc... I did submit a couple more articles, but they pretty much got lost in the chaos. Once 3E came out and I found myself without a gaming group anymore, I just fell out of the whole RPG thing and stopped writing...

Which is too bad, because I would have published you in a second.

--Erik

(un)reason

Legend

part 5/8

Campaign classics: Magical sand? Well, that's as good a topic for a Bazaar. It's certainly bizarre, at any rate. Now, what campaigns are filled with sand? Athas and Zakhara, mainly. And if you guessed the one that romanticises it's deserts more, you were right. Arabian niiiights, like arabian days. More often than not, are hotter than hot, in a lot of good ways.

Fire Sand creates flaming walls wherever it's sprinkled. This seems like one that could backfire easily if it's holder is careless. I'll bet fireball is involved in it's creation.

Rasping Sand is another one that's pretty hazardous to it's user. Wear a special glove, or have your sprinklin' hand abraded to the bone. Gee. better not lose it, or you'll be more screwed than Cyclops without his glasses.

Sand Cages are pleasingly cinematic. Throw it, and the victim is trapped within it's swirling bars. This doesn't actually stop them moving though, but merely abrades them while they're inside it. False advertising, methinks.

Sand of Mirages is almost too obvious. Sprinkle for easy illusions. You'd be more disappointed if they didn't include it.

Sand of Obscurement is an easy way to do the disappearing ninja thing. Fwoosh. Mind you don't run into a wall as you make your getaway, as it can be hard to navigate with your eyes closed.

Sand of Restoration temporarily recreates buildings if you sprinkle it on a ruin. Now that is an awesome idea. You can get to explore dungeons that literally don't exist anymore. That's a plot device I'd love to use at some point.

Sand of Sinking is also pretty versatile, as you can use the ability to turn floors and walls into quicksand as a means of travel as well as a weapon. After all, many platformers have secret bits accessible by going down the sand pits. Why shouldn't a DM nick that trick?

Slow Sand is another misnomer. Complete paralysis is not slowing. Still, at least this one'll probably work better than expected. Who's going to complain to Standards & Practices about that?

Solid Sand is pretty much the opposite of Sand of sinking, letting you turn a soft or fragile surface into a rock solid one temporarily. Let's get bibilical, forge a way through the wilderness.

Thirsty Sand is pretty nasty. As if dehydration wasn't a serious risk already in the desert, someone has to make it even worse. Another one you should probably be careful when sprinkling, for if a bit gets in your eyes, you'll really regret it.

Sand of Scintillation explodes in a flash of light. Like sand of obscurement, this is perfect for the ninja wanting to make a good entry or exit without being spotted. Not the most imaginative ending, but this article definitely has enough good ideas in it to justify itself. You can really mess with the tactical landscape with this collection, which is great fun to plot about.

The role of books: Book of moons by Rosemary Edgehill sees her once again defying genre categorisation and cliches to deliver something that's both fun, and has more sardonically realistic reactions to the strange things happening than the average book. Long may she fail to toe the line.

Enchanted forests, edited by by Katharine Kerr & Martin H Greenberg continues his dominance over the fantasy anthology field. It not only has good stories, but the influence of Mrs Kerr means they're sequenced well too, going from one subtheme to another. The broad and vague theme also means the stories have plenty of room to surprise. It looks like this publishing house has no shortage of material to assemble in various orders.

The fantastic four: To free atlantis by Nancy A Collins is another not so great novelisation of comic characters. The focus is poor, it tries to have too many plots going on at once, and then reveals an enormous twist in the end which invalidates most of the previous events. While not uncommon amongst comics, this is still stupid writing. And without the pretty visuals for fights, this is even less tolerable than normal.

Star trek concordance by Bjo Trimble is a highly comprehensive guidebook, primarily aimed at covering TOS. All the episodes, indexed with detailed listings of creatures, events, jargon, and more obscure stuff like the precise backstage crew involved in each episode. John's main complaint is that there isn't the same kind of research put into the real world references, so the inaccuracies the series made to real history & mythology for dramatic licence are not pointed out as such. Don't believe everything you read.

The art of star trek by Judith & Garfield Reeves-Stevens, on the other hand, avoids that issue by being largely stills & artwork. Not that there isn't a good deal to learn from this, as they include behind the scenes shots, storyboard and concept art sketches, costume design information, and the backdrops used for alien worlds and space scenes. The perfect thing for a nerd to have on their coffee table.

(un)reason

Legend

part 6/8

Sage advice: There can so be chaotic psionicists in Athas! (No they can't. Or at least. you can't. It's just another case of NPC's breaking the rules. )

What racial xp bonuses do aaracockra and pterrans get ( Sappy sappy respect for nature and your life path is good for them. They'll never produce badasses to rival the sorcerer kings)

Do defilers cause damage when they cast, or when they memorize? ( When they memorize now. Retcon, retcon, with great glee we retcon. We care not who's flowers we trample. And we pretend not to have a care in the world, but secretly fear that next day, we will never have been today. For who knows what the dread hand of retcon may touch next. )

Can you resurrect the undead of the dead land (nah. They've been dead too long.)
What are the thieving adjustment for athasian races that can't become thieves, but can get some rogue skills from another class (Here ya go, son. Good to be able to provide a bit of basic help for a change.)

Do you hurt your hand if you punch someone who's stoneskinned (nahh. )

Does dispel magic stop clay golems wounds from being unhealable (no)

You've changed the thieving modifiers (We changed a lot of things in Players Options. Some of them are mutually contradictory. Hence the word options, y'know.)

Role-playing reviews: Giantcraft makes Giants playable as PC's, but does have some issues. It's a little too Forgotten Realms specific, has writers ADD, and doesn't do enough to make giants more than just big people. Sure, it'll do the job, but don't expect a free ride. There's so many splatbooks competing for attention these days.

GURPS Fantasy folk also gets a pretty mediocre review. As with most things GURPS, it's good for producing creatures that are varied and statistically balanced, but it's more an encyclopaedia than a setting guide, with roleplaying notes sticking firmly to the stereotypes. Still, if you have your own ideas ready to go, you could choose a far worse system to put them in, and this'll help you build them quickly and easily.

The Complete Ninjas Handbook brings Aaron Allston back to one of the subjects he loves best. It's not as comprehensive as his old Ninja HERO book (see issue 162) but then, the complete series sticks to it's 128 page formula. It does a decent enough job of creating a whole bunch of rogue hybrids and tying them together with a cultural setup that supports all-ninja campaigns. It's a decent enough way to round out the series, which has been dragged out a bit beyond it's natural ending.

Faeries is a supplement for ARS Magica. It does a good job of making them interestingly whimsical and full of setting detail, but rick finds the rules for using them as PC's rather too complicated and sometimes vague. Guess despite moving from White wolf to WotC, the writers are still thinking in the same way they used to.

(un)reason

Legend

part 7/8

Dragonmirth gets slightly confused by events. Swordplay is starting to increase in size. I guess it happens to every regular comic. Libram X returns to get a half-decent send-off instead of being unceremoniously cancelled at the climax. Still feels like the story is seriously cut down from it's original conception. Am I right in this inference? Anyone with any behind the scenes stuff to spill on this one?

Knights of the dinner table: Hey, at least the format changes aren't all bad. We also get classic stuff like this, that would go on to have it's game made into a real system.

Floyd starts to get anachronistic. Another case of the real world intruding in amusing ways, thanks to the joys of magic.

TSR Previews: More stuff out this month that they didn't mention last time. They are getting sloppy. You know, if you formatted things a little less garishly you could fit them in.

Birthright gets Greatheart by Dixie McKeone. The shadow world threatens an elven burial ground. Oh, they do go on. Will it wind up being everyone's burial ground?

The forgotten realms gets Escape from undermountain by Mark Anthony. Oh, Artek is so screwed. You know what Halaster is like. You may get the guy you came to rescue, but there will be a price.

First Quest concludes it's own novel trilogy. The farmboy hero now has a full party of stereotypes and a talking animal. They're now ready to save the world! Doug Niles, who really ought to know better by now, churns out the requisite cheese.

Our generic adventure is The Silver Key. Even fairly powerful characters have to run when faced with lots of orcs. Easy to place in any campaign (except dragonlance )

And spellfire has obviously been busy when we weren't looking, because it's up to booster pack 8. Characters and locations from classic modules such as the tomb of horrors join the fray. What powers will they have in this game?

And now we're caught up with this month, on to the next month. Birthright continues to launch stuff at an unprecedented rate. It's obviously a favorite of someone in upper management. The book of Magecraft does the splatbook thing for this campaign world, with a particular focus on the unique domain magic tricks they can pull. Binsada gets a domain sourcebook, giving you another fleshed out place that your PC could be in charge of. And Sword of Roele is another adventure. Geared towards mid-level characters, it's a survive and conquer mission against an awnsheigh. Looks rather like a chimera on the cover. Is that him, or just one of his pets.

The Forgotten realms gets two novels, but no sourcebooks. Vaguely unusual. The veiled Dragon by Troy Denning sees our stalwart novelist working on the harpers series. They have to do good while not getting to be heroes for it, because of the whole secret organisation thing. On the other hand, regicide isn't the kind of thing you can easily hide, and you can bet the people investigating it in Murder in Cormyr by Chet Williamson will get a decent amount of kudos. Now, will they raise him, and if not, why not.

Planescape gets Something Wild. One of their more forgettable adventures. ( I own it, and all I remember is something vague about dream manipulation playing a part, and those eco-aesop anti rangers trying to get into the beastlands. Neh.)

Dark sun gets The Rise and fall of a Dragon King by Lynn Abbey. Trying to follow in P. N. Elrod's footsteps by humanizing one of the big villains of the setting I see. Damnitt, why can't they revel in their cosmic power instead of getting all angsty and brooding. Surely you've suffered enough.

Dragonlance has another prequel. Don Perrin shows us the pre war life of Theros Ironfeld. Who? Man, they're getting increasingly obscure these days.

Ravenloft is also in the mood for filling out a villain's backstory. King of the dead by Gene DeWeese does for Azalin what P N Elrod did for Strahd. Will it enjoy anything like the same success?

We also get a generic AD&D novel, and a straight generic novel. The rod of seven parts gives you a sample story loosely based on the module of the same name. Doug Niles is responsible for this one as well. And Winged Magic by Mary H Herbert. Another not very edifying teaser leaves me with nothing to say. The size and quality of these does seem to be going down, and the number of typos increasing. Who was in charge of this section anyway?

(un)reason

Legend

part 8/8

The current clack: Wizards of the Coast get a whole page to themselves this month, as they make massive layoffs despite (saying they're) making record profits. They're dropping the ventures that aren't working, and concentrating on the ones that are. Once again, they're proving themselves more business savvy than TSR ever were. Of course, that pragmatism comes at a cost in innovation. In fact, it seems they've completely cut their roleplaying department. They want a proven seller rather than risking tons on developing a new property. Hmm. This is very interesting indeed in light of future events. Both the good and bad aspects of this attitude will be applied in force when they take over D&D. So this is a definite historical pointer. Really, its amazing just how quickly they rose to prominence.

The other news is fairly dramatic as well. There's another gaming magazine folding, and FASA's fan club has fallen apart, defaulting on their debts. Things aren't looking so good for gaming in general. On the plus side, it seems most companies now have at least a token online presence. And we can be pretty sure that'll only get better. Pretty big changes in the landscape, really. I'm rather pleased they're reporting on them.

With lots of useful crunch, quite a few articles that are good for any system, several very interesting historical details, and bad articles that are hilariously bad rather than just dull, this is the best issue they've done in a while. That's not to say there aren't problems with it, the beginning in particular is pretty ropey, but it shows they are still getting good submissions, and picking them out of the pile. I guess all those repeated reminders of how you submit to the magazine do serve a purpose. If only everything had as firm a logic behind it.

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 227: March 1996

part 1/8

124 pages. A prime example of the put everything right up front and clutter everywhere image style. I disapprove. Things can only look genuinely big if you give them enough context to establish scale. Otherwise the brain just defaults to seeing them as normal. Just as to make music loud, you have to get people to want to turn it up, not simply record it louder. It took me quite a few looks to realise how big this thing was supposed to be. Needs moar contrast. The topic is another return to familiar territory. The Underdark! Where monsters this big wouldn't really fit realistically! Are there some new caverns down there that delvers still haven't found. Hopefully. And hopefully they'll be full of interesting challenges and treasures too.

In this issue:

The wyrm's turn: Ahh yes, a reminder that we can be constrained by our cultural touchstones a little too easily, and ought to draw upon other real world cultures if we want to create a varied and interesting world. Like Roger didn't say that in his tenure. (issue 176) The solution? The Encyclopedia Brittanica! I'm sorry, that's just unintentionally hilarious. To expand your knowledge of other cultures, you go straight for looking through the filter of posh white guys. The irony is staggering. I mean, sure, you need a translator unless you're willing to spend years learning the language and cultural references from the inside out, but that choice? It hurtses my brain. This is another example of them repeating a topic, only shorter, and not as well handled as the previous article. Gimme a break.

D-Mail: There's a whole bunch of letters commenting on their new look this month, mostly positive. First up, is a certain Iquander, who is particularly pleased at Greyhawk getting better treatment in the magazine than it used to. Do it more! I smell foreshadowing.

Secondly, we have a suggestion that they should compile all the spells ever developed in the same way they did magic items. This is one case they're waaaay ahead of you. Still, this stuff takes time. Especially here, where they have to dig through the archives and assemble everything in alphabetical order. Lot's of hard work for their editing staff.

Another rather shorter bit of praise for the greyhawk article. You know, it was hardly as impressive as the ones in issue 204-8. Much of this is absence making the heart grow fonder.

In contrast, they do have a letter saying they should be careful with the campaign world specific articles. Too many, and the magazine ceases to be useful to the general public. It'll still probably cater to more of their readership than articles on other game systems, and they did those for ages without it hurting them. It's merely a matter of not doing too many in a single issue.

Two letters commenting that the switch to perfect bound has made it hard to read the beginning of each line. You know what the fix is? Increasing the margins! That means they can fill the magazine up with a good % or two less actual content. :p How's that for making savings as well.

And finally a letter from someone who seems to want to adhere too closely to canon, by wanting them to tell him exactly where the named magical swords in the Forgotten Realms are. Oh dear. I think that counts as not quite getting it.

The secrets of successful dungeon building: Swordplay artist Matthew Guss tries his hand at article writing (as well as illustrating said article, thus providing them two products for the price of one, and ensuring they're better integrated than usual. ) The result is surprisingly serious given his comic output. It's also very very 2nd edition, with a lot of the emphasis on building a dungeon by thinking about the people who made it, the resources they had, the reasons they had to make it in the first place, and how they would realistically keep and utilise their treasure. No gonzo corridors of death here. I find that rather curious. I guess he's just following the crowd, after all, that's what they've been saying for years now. This does feel rather like another of their returns to basics that we're seeing far too much of lately. So the illustrations are easily the most new and entertaining parts of this article. I am forced to conclude that he probably ought to stick to them.

Orius

Legend
The current clack: Wizards of the Coast get a whole page to themselves this month, as they make massive layoffs despite (saying they're) making record profits.

This ain't news, WotC is always laying their workers off.

In fact, it seems they've completely cut their roleplaying department. They want a proven seller rather than risking tons on developing a new property. Hmm. This is very interesting indeed in light of future events.

Yeah, this article is really missing some ominous music in the background. ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads