Let's read the entire run

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 157: May 1990

part 4/6

Editorial: Still more commentary on the removal of the fiends from 2nd edition in here. Roger puts his 2 cents in, making it pretty clear where he stands on their removal while not actually contradicting company line in any way. There are a whole bunch of good reasons why they are useful to have in the game, both from a mechanical and flavour point of view. There's also a reminder that the old books are hardly obsolete, and the canon police aren't going to break down your doors if you keep using them. As with the Buck Rogers stuff, there are big chunks of the company that are rolling their eyes at some of the recent decisions, and working behind the scenes to undermine them. It's all a bit awkward, really. It'll be interesting to see just how this progresses, both in terms of this issue, and the larger company politics.

The dungeon alone: A second article on solo play in the same magazine? How curious. Well, actually this is mainly for one-on-one play, but it's not that big a difference. Weirdly, the idea of having a single player play multiple characters (By far the easiest solution, and one I use regularly) doesn't occur to this writer, and the rest of this article consists of ways you can turn down the difficulty level to give them a chance of surviving. Poison and paralysis obviously need serious moderating. Bend the rules on death and unconsciousness liberally. Give them better chances than normal to run away. Govern monster replenishment conservatively. Basically, be a complete wimp, and let them win even if they're playing dumb. He also seems to assume that you'll be playing fairly linear adventures, and if they make a "wrong" choice, you should blatantly have it just not work, or figure out how to get them back on track as soon as possible. While there are some cool ideas to steal, overall, I find this a moderately objectionable article, encouraging you to break the rules to achieve your ends, and make sure that the players win, rather than being a properly neutral moderator. Plus there are more satisfying ways of handling solo play, as they've shown in the past, and this is another sign of the gradual dilution of the game's deadliness over the editions. Bleh.

Next stop - Eveningstar: Ohh, shiny. More Realms bonus features. Ed's overwritten as usual, and we get the benefits. Say hello to the village of eveningstar. Not a hugely important place in the scheme of things, but notable for FLYING CATS!!!!! FANGIRL SQUEE!!!!!! EPIC KYOOT!!!!! I do apologize. I just got a sudden unexpected nostalgia overdose. As I remember, this place does get into the updated second edition boxed set, and the flying cats become Tressym, which went on to play a fairly substantial part in my own youthful gaming. It's somewhat bigger than it's appearance there as well, filling in several details that were left unclear in the later version, and with a whole bunch of plot hooks and descriptive details that can make it a suitable adventuring location for both low and higher level parties. They can deal with wolves and local humanoids, or they might wind up rubbing shoulders with King Azoun and seeing what monsters live in the ruins of the Zhentarim base. (I'm betting there's a Deepspawn involved, given the ease they replenish with. ) This is definitely a welcome appearance of something I wasn't expecting to see again, but am very pleased to have discovered. See you again soon, hopefully.

Keep the heroes flying: Our Marvel article this month is another on proper world and plot building. Learn the plots that the comics use. Tailor adventures to your heroes and their backstories and personalities. A cast of recurring NPC's that aren't heroes or villains is important. A romantic interest is particularly useful as a driver for adventures. Turning friend against friend always makes for a fun fight. If struggling, temporarily remove their powers. All seems fairly familiar from years of the ARES section and the similar advice for other genres. Yawn. My mind, it is already expanded enough to not even notice this going in.

Through the looking glass: Robert continues to keep this more interesting than the other review columns by mixing up elements as usual. Once again, he has to explain his methodology. He can't review stuff that hasn't been submitted, and there's no point reviewing stuff that isn't available to most people. Similarly, given the magazine's international audience, mentioning specific shops would be bad business. Being a pro is hard. On the plus side, he's been reviewing enough that he can recommend figures for a whole range of monsters. Many of them are even officially licensed. :p

On the reviews side of things, the big one is Blue Max, a wargame of WW1 dogfighting. Modeling 3D movement and a whole bunch of maneuvers, it is as much about player skill as equipment stats and luck, and seems both pretty fun, and very open to expansions. Still trying to keep wargaming alive, I see.

On the actual minis side, we see that Shadowrun has taken off quickly and effectively, and have already licensed out their minis rights to grenadier. But D&D is still holding on tight to the market too, with new models for the Dragonlance line. There's probably room enough for both in this town, but it's not going to be a completely harmonious co-existence. More fun little snippets of history leaking through here.

(un)reason

Legend

part 5/6

TSR Previews changes their system so the dates should be the release dates rather than the shipping dates. Which is more convenient for those of us on the recieving end, isn't it. It also means they finally look like they're covering this month and the next again, even though nothing's really changed timewise. Since I already covered this month last month, I shall have to stick to the next month previews.

First up, completely unsurprisingly for this special, is XXVc™: the 25th century roleplaying game. Curious that Buck isn't actually in the title. Anyway, Mike Pondsmith is the person who took this mugs job, giving us the chance to join in the grim battle for freedom in the 25th century. Any volunteers? Oi! What do you think you're playing at, all taking one step back and leaving me on my own?!

If you wanna do AD&D generically, you can get PHBR3: Complete priests manual. Course, you may regret it, because it nerfs clerics to buggery if they worship the gods in it, and the kits are nothing to sing about either. One of the weakest ones in this series, in both senses of the word.

Dragonlance gets a double helping this month. DLA2: Dragon knight sees Taladas continue to get attention. Kaz, the minotaur is the star of this month's novel there, which probably isn't a co-incidence.

Having been hordeariffic last month, our Toril installment goes past them to Kara Tur again. OA6: Ronin Challenge sees intrigue at a martial arts tournament. So much for cosmic enlightenment.

Spelljammer gets a second module. Nigel Findley combines piracy with undead in Skull & Crossbones. Arr. Aha mateys. Let's get that adventurer booty! Sounds very promising indeed.

Greyhawk is also getting novels which tie into their modules, with Night Watch, by Robin Wayne Bailey. Course, with no PC's around, it's up to the captain of the guard to figure out why the city is in danger in the official version of events.

D&D goes underground, to reveal GAZ13: The shadow elves. Not quite the drow you know, they give yet more options for adventures, both as PC's and NPC enemies.

And Top Secret starts another module series, TSA1: The web. They've had this villainous organisation lurking ever since the start of the new edition. Now you get an official chance to strike at them, foil their plans. Go for it.

The role of books: Carmen Miranda's ghost is haunting space station three, edited by Don Saker (How would you know? Or is that Carmen Sandiego I'm thinking of?) is a decidedly quirky set of short stories based on the song of the same name. You wouldn't think it, but there were a lot of submissions for this anthology, and the ones that got accepted run the gamut of genres and tones. Sounds very amusing.

Eye of the world by Robert Jordan is one of his enormous books where very little actually happens. His continued megasales for this kind of workmanlike product baffles the reviewer. Get the animators of Dragonball Z to adapt the wheel of time, then it'll really be done justice. :p

The halfling's gem by R A Salvadore gets substantial accolades for it's high paced, well described swashbuckling fun. Drizzt and co are rapidly becoming not only popular, but influential. If this is what the next generation will be copying, then god help us all.

Ice dragon by Richard A Knaak is an enjoyable but insubstantial bit of generic fantasy. The reviewer compares it to eating fast food. It'll keep you alive until the next gourmet classic can be unearthed.

The mutant season by Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber takes a rather more gritty approach to the same issues that the Marvel comic books have been wrestling with for some time. The characters on both sides of the divide are pretty well fleshed out, and the plotting and worldbuilding is smartly done. As long as it doesn't hit too close to home, it should be enjoyable.

Too, too solid flesh by Nick O'Donohoe posits a world where androids that can perfectly play a role have taken over from human actors. Shakespearian and other theatrical references are the order of the day as this odd setting becomes the backdrop to a murder mystery. One for the literary reader.

The apprentice by Deborah Talmadge-Bickmore gets a slightly baffled review. Just what is it that she's making that no-one else is? Anyone? Bueller? Oh well, if you write books to please yourself, you shouldn't be too surprised if other people don't get it.

Last edited:

(un)reason

Legend

part 6/6

Dragonmirth tries to adapt to the modern world. Yamara is already getting bored of omniscience. Go have an affair with Dr Manhattan.

The role of computers: Knights of Legend may have got nul points on Apple systems but the PC version gets top marks. They've really enjoyed this adventure game, now the system woes have been alleviated. Goes to show doesn't it. A small difference in capabilities means the difference between brilliant and unworkable. Guess it's like genius and madness.

A Boy and his Blob is the classic platform puzzle game of feeding jellybeans to your blob to get round various problems. Joy. Another nostalgia hit for me.

Day of the Viper is yet another 5 starrer, a rather tricky adventure game using both top down and 3D viewscreens. Fight enemies, avoid traps and solve puzzles to save the world from rampaging androids that have gone out of control. They still have a long way to go on this one, but seem eager to make that effort.

Dr Plummet's House of Flux gets a low score, but a more positive review. A 2D spaceship flying game a la asteroids, only with a lot more complexity in the level design, and amusingly quirky themes, you have to negotiate your way through and rescue a bunch of astronauts. They obviously didn't find it as fun to play as to describe.

Keef the Thief gets nul points due to another ridiculously eye hurting copy protection scheme. They really are pushing that issue hard, encouraging us to vote with our wallets and kill the annoying DRM. It's an eternal battle. How do you hurt the pirates without being a problem to legitimate users?

Knight Force also gets a pretty negative review, this time because the game actually sucks. The graphics are outdated, and the game play is generic and dull. Just don't bother.

Lots of hints this time as well. The bards tale series gets particular attention, as do the various D&D computer games out there now. They encourage you to exploit quirks in the system that any DM would counteract easily if this was tabletop. There is no playing fair against computer opponents.

The twilight empire reveals what I suspected. Another person from the modern world has wound up in a fantasy world, and will probably end up becoming a hero.

As I mentioned before. the horde gets a novel trilogy. They also get a boxed set and an adventure trilogy, linking up Faerun and Kara-tur in the process. Doncha just love that kind of worldbuilding.

Already up to 6 monstrous compendia? God, they really are churning them out. I guess they want to catch up everything from last edition (apart from demons and devils ;) ) as quickly as possible. Now that's a good contrast with the rather sluggish release of monster manuals in 3rd and 4th edition.

Rather an interesting issue, despite the above average number of dodgy articles. The tensions in the company are actually fairly visible below the surface this time, and this makes for entertaining observations even as the number of dull articles proliferates. Will the creative side be able to claw back a little more control. Or will the evil overmistress continue to make decisions that neither the staff or the readership really want. Let's see if there's any gems to salvage from the next issue.

LordVyreth

First Post
Already up to 6 monstrous compendia? God, they really are churning them out. I guess they want to catch up everything from last edition (apart from demons and devils ;) ) as quickly as possible. Now that's a good contrast with the rather sluggish release of monster manuals in 3rd and 4th edition.

Huh, really? 3rd Edition has six full monster manuals (counting the Fiend Folio) each in the 200-300 page range. I thought they did alright with monster. Hell, you should see how long my monster summary file is. :)

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 158: June 1990

part 1/6

116 pages. Year 14. Yeah, the magazine is currently a sulky teenager, or something. But no matter how old you get, there's always a part of you that eagerly awaits your birthday presents. Well, it's either that or spend it moping how you grow ever closer to death's final embrace. Which doesn't really work quite the same way when you're a magazine. So as usual, we get a whole bunch of articles on dragons, and some fiction featuring one as well. Just the thing to make yourself a hero with. But remember, don't do it too well, or you'll leave nothing left for future generations, and the whole tradition will die out. Lets see what room they have for new stuff amid the old traditions.

In this issue:

Letters: A letter asking when they're going to release another best of. It has been a while, hasn't it. As with the last time they were asked, they'd like too, but for some reason upper management :Rumble of thunder, stab of organ music: doesn't seem too keen on the idea. What is up with that?

Another letter asking them why they don't go digital. Roger replies with a detailed and somewhat snarky breakdown of why it's not the great ecosaviour move this writer seems to think it would be. Besides, how would they advertise. Hmm. Actually, that is interesting. I wonder why they completely dropped the ads when Dragon went digital. It's not as if they couldn't still put some on the pages, and it would deal with the irritating whitespace issue.

A letter about how umber hulks smell. Roger trots out one of the most tired old jokes of all in response. I didn't laugh.

Forum: Ralph Sizer doesn't think there's anything evil about paladins using feints and other such sneaky tactics in combat. You're dethpicable. ;) No clath or honour at all! Such actions may not be evil, but they are chaotic. You can expect a good spanking if you use them regularly.

Brian Smarker is dubious about the idea of good clerics creating undead just to give their acolytes turning practice. Wouldn't that be like an environmentalist creating an oil spill just to teach people how harmful they are, and how to best clean them up. On the other hand, people like those PETA nuts who released a whole labfull of weasels into the wild, seriously mucking up the predator/prey balance, and dooming most of them to a quick death anyway because they didn't know how to hunt properly might try that. And clerics are frequently known for fanaticism over reason.

James S. Watson joins the realism brigade. Your articles on wars, and how soldiers were trained and organized in them were insufficiently researched! Same as it ever was.

Dennis Lee Bieber does some similar work on heraldry, pointing out some more accessable books for you to add to your collection. Another murky bit of history with customs often honoured in the breach gets picked over.

Craig H. Barrett has some pretty complicated thoughts about the alignment system, and how people should be judged along it's axes. As ever, it's tricky to separate our own cultural biases from the theoretical absolute standards of good and evil. I think there's room for some interesting articles on this matter.

Toby C Jennings is similarly interested in running the gamut of alignment in his gaming, and looking at the differences in how they interact. Once again, problems in the narrowness of various descriptions causes headaches

Toby Myers gives lots of useful advice about building your campaign world. Remember, stealing liberally and adapting is very much the way to go. Can't argue with that one, given what I'm currently doing.

The game wizards: Ha. Jim Ward returns to deal with the great wodges of nerdrage about the removal of the creatures who's name begins with D from the lower planes. The vast majority of readers want to see them back. So they've caved in, while pretending it was their idea all along, bringing them back under different names in the upcoming outer planes MC appendix. That didn't take long. Once again, the ball is in our court. Whether this will mollify the letter senders, or result in yet more annoyance from both sides of the satanic divide remains to be seen. In the meantime, he tries to distract us by waving around teasers for a few more of the shinys that they're producing in the near future. Maztica! Hollow World! New psionics rules! New horrific monsters! Think about those instead, and get to work saving up the money to pay for them. ;) Ahh, another perpetual problem creative types face. By the time a particular bit of work gets published and properly released, you're already sick of it and working on your next idea. Having to talk about old ideas endlessly with the public can sour you on them quite a bit. Still fairly stressful times trying to run the company then. The pressure from both above and below never really lets up.

(un)reason

Legend
And weren't the orignal MC Appendices just 16 or 32 binder pages anyway until they started releasing the softcovers?

Most of them were 64 or 96 page ones, but yeah, you do have a point. The difference between half a dozen 64 pagers a year and one 200+ page hardback is probably less than the hyperbole would indicate. Still, there are lots of 2nd ed monsters that never made it to the next edition.

(un)reason

Legend
Dragon Magazine Issue 158: June 1990

part 2/6

The mightiest of Dragons: Oooh. A basic D&D specific article. The princess ark has company for a change. Their rather different approach towards the Planes, and supreme masters of the species is taken advantage of here, as they create a set of places that make suitably tough challenges for Master level adventurers, and a decent bunch of neighbours if you make it to Immortal. The D&D dragon rulers may not be as filled in as Bahamut and Tiamat, but they are rather more replacable, since killing them just results in another powerful dragon taking the job. Which means if you get the hang of these places, you have a nice respawning instance to grind for XP. :D It's obvious that the writer has had to deal with players who think like that, and wants to discourage that kind of behaviour, as he taken pains to make these places extra tricky to get through, with large numbers of obscenely powerful creatures around before you get to the actual bosses. While this does fall somewhat into the old problem of making an infinite universe seem small, it lampshades it better than most of these articles. While not really big or good enough to be a classic add-on, it's still an interesting and fairly useful article, that helps give high level characters more to do. And as we know, that's always a problem, given how many adventures it takes to advance a level at that stage in the game.

A spell of conversation: An odd little article here. If you want to talk with a dragon without them constantly trying to trick, enslave or eat you, what do you do? Generally, the answer involves proving yourself sufficiently badass that they take you seriously, rather than just yawning at the puny human and then terminally testing your capabilities. If you'd like to do so without having to engage in some impolite wholesale destruction as a demonstration, take this spell to enforce the pax. Like Protection from Evil, it gives a strong incentive to both sides to play nice, and penalizes you if you try and cheat and break it. Yeah, I can see the value in this, and it seems pretty thematic narratively. This is another one I have no problem with the idea of using in a game. Just gotta hope your players think of trying that approach.

The dragon's bestiary: Gorynych are another mythological creature converted to D&D. Like hydra, they have more than one head, and can be an almighty pain in the butt, grappling you and then wishboning you apart with two of their heads. Like other creatures with no great amount of brains or magic, but lots of attacks, they seem well suited to being a good solo challenge for big mid-level groups. Pincushion them to death.

Common dragonets, like common gulls, are slightly misnamed, as they are being outcompeted by more ferocious and specialised variants. Still, they seem like a good target for taming, and their breath weapon is delightfully screwage inflicting. Beware halflings riding one of these. A good one for low level adventurers who'd like to fight dragons, but really don't have enough raw power yet. A few flocks of these'll get their level up, while teaching them valuable tactics for the future. A perfectly decent pair of new monsters.

That's not in the monstrous compendium: Another article, featuring more actual dragons. You know, you could probably have saved space by rolling them into one, which could then have been used elsewhere. But then the joke name harking back to the original introduction of the Gem dragons 10 years ago would have been lost. Still, this seems fairly positive.

Pearl dragons do have a slight mechanical problem, in that the new HD calculations for dragons give them 0HD at hatchling age. You'll have to work something out. They get tons of spells, but no spell-like abilities. Unsurprisingly, they own tons of pearls.

Jade dragons are supposed to be more powerful than emerald dragons, but actually aren't, being outperformed in terms of size and physical prowess quite handily. Whether their greater spell capability will compensate for this I am not sure, but it doesn't seem promising.

Jacinth dragons are a bit more powerful again, but still weaker than any of the standard gem dragons, with a decidedly weedy breath weapon that won't be much threat to an equivalent level party. They do get a couple of innate powers, but really as with the other two of these, the real challenge will be choosing a good set of spells and using them to tactical advantage. These guys are not for a DM who just wants to throw some prefab monsters at the players.

Overall, it's a pretty lackluster collection, that doesn't really seem that well integrated with the previous ones. A big part of this is probably due to the psionics rules not being out for 2nd edition yet, so they couldn't be used with it. And in general, the math seems a little off, as if the writer is working from 1st ed benchmarks rather than the updated ones. If they'd waited a year, they could have done a much better job on this. Now you'll have to live with them forever, including being reprinted in an official MC Appendix. Still, I suspect there'll be plenty more dragons in later years before this magazine's time is up. Mustn't let it get you down.

amysrevenge

First Post
Eye of the world by Robert Jordan is one of his enormous books where very little actually happens.

The halfling's gem by R A Salvadore gets substantial accolades for it's high paced, well described swashbuckling fun.

Well, at least it's internally consistent. Someone who loves the action and adventure of drizzit & company would probably be bored to tears by no end of other genre books. :p

FWIW I have every Salvatore book and every Jordan book within arms' reach at this very moment.

Jhaelen

First Post
Well, at least it's internally consistent. Someone who loves the action and adventure of drizzit & company would probably be bored to tears by no end of other genre books. :p

FWIW I have every Salvatore book and every Jordan book within arms' reach at this very moment.
Well, I stopped reading 'The Wheel of Time' after the third novel when I realized that the only part of the book which actually advanced the storyline were the final dozen pages.

I'm generally fine with detailed descriptions of the setting but that was a bit too much for my taste. Imho, it was obvious that Mr. Jordan was too worried about depleting the gold mine he had 'discovered' by writing these books.

Remove ads