• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lets see your GAME ROOM.

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Here's my gaming basement. It's got an upcoming remodel, however, going to re-arrange things abit. A full game night is eight of us, table gets a little crowded. I'll post something next week or so after we are done.

Game Roome - Imgur

Wow......That is definitely in my top 5 awesome game room setups.

That game table is awesome. Very nicely organized......Minis within reach
Dry rease board for upcoming geek events......Wall to wall shelves with gaming paraphenilia......Padded computer chairs for everyone....... the only question I have is, what instance during a game session are you in need of that Disco Ball?.........hehehehehe ....unless thats part of a shady past we're not supposed to talk about.......just kidding dude.......killer game room!

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! To answer some of the Q's about my set up:

I have a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LN46C630-46-Inch-1080p-Black/dp/B0036WT3RA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296868057&sr=8-1"]Samsung 46" LCD[/ame] that I use. The tv is normally mounted in the next room on a stand similar to this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Z-Line-Keira-Panel-Stand-Integrated/dp/B002E2W7GW/ref=sr_1_45?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1296873178&sr=1-45"]one[/ame], though I bought a cheaper one from walmart for ~150.

A detachable metal frame comes with the stand and is screwed into the back of the LCD. The metal frame hooks onto the rest of the stand and is held there quite securely by gravity. When game time rolls around myself and one of my players simply lift the tv from each end and carry it over to the game table (5' x 5') where we just lay it flat on its back to sit on top of the metal frame and sits level.

I then place a 1/4" plexi-glass cover (bought at home depot for $40) right on top of the LCD screen to protect the surface so there is no scratching of the LCD screen. Hand pressure is still something to be avoided. We still play with minis with a mix of metal and plastic. I avoid the larger metal minis naturally.

Then we place a hand-made wooden frame (cost ~$20 to make) painted black to sit on top of the TV to further protect the sides. Drinks are very much not allowed to be set on top of the wood frame and it sits so high above the table due to the metal frame on its back that spilling from drinks on the table isn't a concern.

At the end of the game session we pull off the wood frame and plexi-glass to hang the tv back onto the stand in the next room and watch movies on it during the week. Works great!

Do the colors skew when you tp it over?
How easily does the screen scratch?
Is it more prone to dead pixels?
Just wondering cause thats pretty cool.

I did a bit of research before risking my LCD for table top use. The orientation of the LCD has no effect on the viewing. What did surprise me was the excellent viewing angle. My players can sit down and look across the LCD and can see the screen just fine, which surprised me.

No color skewing, and zero problems with dead pixels or screen "burn-in". Burn-in is an issue for plasma tvs when held to a single image for too long but isn't a problem at all for LCDs. I've used this thing for 4-6 hour game nights with the LCD held on a single battlemat for an entire 4 hour period. The screen does get a bit warm but despite hours of usage it hasn't been a problem at all. You can probably imagine I was pretty nervous the first couple of game sessions not knowing how it would handle, but I took the plunge anyways. It was too hard for me to resist saying no to the pretty, pretty lights!

Jacob Marley said:
How much does a set-up like that cost? What does it take to run it (in terms of software, etc.)?

You can probably pick up a nice big LCD tv pretty cheap nowadays with plasma prices dropping due to the really nice LED back-lit LCDs now on the market. I've seen 52" LCDs go for only $700 at walmart. Plus you can use it as your normal TV as I do so by no means must your LCD be dedicated for gaming only. I would advise staying away from using any and all plasmas for gaming like this. It'll just flat out ruin the plasma tv.

Currently I am using maptools which is a free VTT (virtual table top) software. I only use it for the digital maps atm but it has a lot of great features. Definately check out their website if your interested. Though lately a couple of my players are trying to get me interested in d20Pro and HeroLabs for running games for them but that software cost $$ though that comes with professional support.

Cheers and happy gaming all!

Last edited:

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Yea, actually that was the original plan with the plexi-glass. Turned out that the wood frame has to sit atop the tv frame which is a good inch or two above the LCD screen. We noticed when the minis sat atop the raised plexi-glass that the mins looked like they were floating above the battle grid. It wasn't until I cut the plexi-glass to fit and just dropped it down on top of the LCD that it looked good.

Btw, if anyone is interested and looking for a good projector with the right stats for a gaming set up I found this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5112-SVGA-DLP-Projector/dp/B002R0JK0C/ref=rsl_mainw_dpl?ie=UTF8&m=AZ8ZZL30AH7DI"]one [/ame]at just $350 on amazon. Using a mirror to hit the throw distance at 5ft it should give you a 3' x 4' screen on your table top!

cyderak

Banned
Banned
Hey guys, thanks for the comments! To answer some of the Q's about my set up:

I have a Samsung 46" LCD that I use. The tv is normally mounted in the next room on a stand similar to this one, though I bought a cheaper one from walmart for ~150.

A detachable metal frame comes with the stand and is screwed into the back of the LCD. The metal frame hooks onto the rest of the stand and is held there quite securely by gravity. When game time rolls around myself and one of my players simply lift the tv from each end and carry it over to the game table (5' x 5') where we just lay it flat on its back to sit on top of the metal frame and sits level.

I then place a 1/4" plexi-glass cover (bought at home depot for $40) right on top of the LCD screen to protect the surface so there is no scratching of the LCD screen. Hand pressure is still something to be avoided. We still play with minis with a mix of metal and plastic. I avoid the larger metal minis naturally.

Then we place a hand-made wooden frame (cost ~$20 to make) painted black to sit on top of the TV to further protect the sides. Drinks are very much not allowed to be set on top of the wood frame and it sits so high above the table due to the metal frame on its back that spilling from drinks on the table isn't a concern.

At the end of the game session we pull off the wood frame and plexi-glass to hang the tv back onto the stand in the next room and watch movies on it during the week. Works great!

I did a bit of research before risking my LCD for table top use. The orientation of the LCD has no effect on the viewing. What did surprise me was the excellent viewing angle. My players can sit down and look across the LCD and can see the screen just fine, which surprised me.

No color skewing, and zero problems with dead pixels or screen "burn-in". Burn-in is an issue for plasma tvs when held to a single image for too long but isn't a problem at all for LCDs. I've used this thing for 4-6 hour game nights with the LCD held on a single battlemat for an entire 4 hour period. The screen does get a bit warm but despite hours of usage it hasn't been a problem at all. You can probably imagine I was pretty nervous the first couple of game sessions not knowing how it would handle, but I took the plunge anyways. It was too hard for me to resist saying no to the pretty, pretty lights!

You can probably pick up a nice big LCD tv pretty cheap nowadays with plasma prices dropping due to the really nice LED back-lit LCDs now on the market. I've seen 52" LCDs go for only $700 at walmart. Plus you can use it as your normal TV as I do so by no means must your LCD be dedicated for gaming only. I would advise staying away from using any and all plasmas for gaming like this. It'll just flat out ruin the plasma tv.

Currently I am using maptools which is a free VTT (virtual table top) software. I only use it for the digital maps atm but it has a lot of great features. Definately check out their website if your interested. Though lately a couple of my players are trying to get me interested in d20Pro and HeroLabs for running games for them but that software cost $$ though that comes with professional support.

Cheers and happy gaming all!

Good to know LCD's can be tipped over and used that way.

That best buy salesman was full of crap!!

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Plasmas do not like being tipped, always must be transports upright. LCDs are perfectly fine. Having previously worked at a best buy in my youth, I can assure you that 99% of the employees know jack about product or technologies in use.

dcampbez

Explorer
Wow......That is definitely in my top 5 awesome game room setups.

That game table is awesome. Very nicely organized......Minis within reach
Dry rease board for upcoming geek events......Wall to wall shelves with gaming paraphenilia......Padded computer chairs for everyone....... the only question I have is, what instance during a game session are you in need of that Disco Ball?.........hehehehehe ....unless thats part of a shady past we're not supposed to talk about.......just kidding dude.......killer game room!

The Disco Ball was a gag gift a few years back.

I refuse to take it down....:)

Remove ads