• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's Speculate - Arcane Power

Rechan

Adventurer
The February and Beyond preview said this:

• Swordmage: new class feature, new build (the ensnaring swordmage, who foils his foes with cun¬ning footwork, entangling spells, and dazzling swordplay), and new powers and paragon paths.
  • Warlock: new eldritch pact, new powers and paragon paths (such as the God Fragment and Hellbringer).
  • Wizard: new implements, builds, powers, and paragon paths (focusing on specialized techniques such as invisibility and teleportation, or even exploiting random chance.)
"New class feature" for the SM sounds like a new Aegis ability to correspond with the build.

I hope to see something that modifies At-Wills; someone posted in another thread a quote from a designer, that the Gladiator article's At-Will adjustment feats were originally cooked up for another splatbook. I also hope to see some multi-class options, an arcane version of the weapon multi-classing.

I also want to see some new Wizard at-wills, which are better at the controlling.

And finally, I want some love for the Con Warlock.

Last edited:

Night

First Post
Actually, Rechan, you've hit on precisely what I hope to see out of this book (though not necessarily what I expect to): options for wizards that will make the controller role a little more clear cut. I still don't fully understand exactly how they're meant to, well, control beyond having a lot of burst powers, and with sorcerers in the PHB2 looking to be in a similar vein (of type of powers, not of theme or poitns of interest) despite being strikers it seems like something that could use a little more refinement on Wizards' part.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I just want some way to get more uses of particular wizard utilities. One invisiblity is not enough.

Warlocks temporarily summoning an aspect of their master ex: ""Don't summon Hadar. He'll EAT US ALL!"

Bard: guitars. of all types and sizes.

Holy Bovine

First Post
I am really hoping for a major expansion of options for the Warlock. Right now it seems once you have picked your Pact all of your powers are 'locked in' from that point forward. Having some choice with the existing Pacts (and I do NOT want more Pacts) would make the Warlock a much more attractive class to me than it is currently.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
I am really hoping for a major expansion of options for the Warlock. Right now it seems once you have picked your Pact all of your powers are 'locked in' from that point forward. Having some choice with the existing Pacts (and I do NOT want more Pacts) would make the Warlock a much more attractive class to me than it is currently.

Bur warlocks aren't locked in (apart from the at wills). They can choose any powers they want and some get bonuses based on pact, mostly encounter powers.

WalterKovacs

First Post
The February and Beyond preview said this:

• Swordmage: new class feature, new build (the ensnaring swordmage, who foils his foes with cun¬ning footwork, entangling spells, and dazzling swordplay), and new powers and paragon paths.
  • Warlock: new eldritch pact, new powers and paragon paths (such as the God Fragment and Hellbringer).
  • Wizard: new implements, builds, powers, and paragon paths (focusing on specialized techniques such as invisibility and teleportation, or even exploiting random chance.)

Emphasis mine. So, it does seem that there is more than one new build for wizard. Of course the rogue technically got two more builds, but only one of them actually had a new class feature involved. With the wizard, each new implement is going to basically involve a new mastery feature, and pretty much a build as well (although the staff wizard didn't actually get a "build" write up initially).

Shroomy

Adventurer
Emphasis mine. So, it does seem that there is more than one new build for wizard. Of course the rogue technically got two more builds, but only one of them actually had a new class feature involved. With the wizard, each new implement is going to basically involve a new mastery feature, and pretty much a build as well (although the staff wizard didn't actually get a "build" write up initially).

Well, we know there will have to be new implements, because the Summoner wizard uses th Tome implement; they could just mean multiple types of tomes. Still, I could be wrong.

I wonder if the AP previews are going to follow the MP model. That is, the first excerpt will be a class specific one featuring a new build, class feature, and/or powers, while the second that week will be a paragon path for that same class.

Wik

First Post
Nope, confirmed arcane a loooooong time ago.

There was some speculation that they were primal, but that was Jossed somewhere around December.

Ha. Shows how much I pay attention.

The funny thing being, I've already made Sorcerer characters on the CB.

WalterKovacs

First Post
Well, we know there will have to be new implements, because the Summoner wizard uses th Tome implement; they could just mean multiple types of tomes. Still, I could be wrong.

I wonder if the AP previews are going to follow the MP model. That is, the first excerpt will be a class specific one featuring a new build, class feature, and/or powers, while the second that week will be a paragon path for that same class.

They were clear in the swordmage and warlock blurbs to use pact, build, class feature, all singular, and have builds and implements, plural, for the wizard. Unless they put an official staff build, or have multiple summoning builds for the different types of tomes, it seems that there will probably be more than one implement introduced, and a build for each. Whether that's a new implement, or just one that wizards haven't used yet (rods, or maybe a weapon of some sort) is questionable.

It would be interesting to speculate as to what else would "fit" as a wizard's implement, since wand, staff, orb and tome cover the most likely ... I think I remember dagger was part of the original stuff that was talked about early on ...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads