• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

let's talk E3: gameboy DS, Sony PSP, Link grows up!

stevelabny

Explorer
I've spent the past hour nosing around gamespot wathcing videos and stuff.
It seems after e3 2003 was a complete disaster and waste of time with absolutely nothing working looking at that this years has returned some promising potential to the industry.

First: ZELDA: WOW. the screenshots and the video look AMAZING. I wasn't a basher of the cel-shaded look for Wind Waker, but I would have preferred something that looked like this. Also, Windwaker was WAY TOO EASY. Hopefull the "adult" look will also come with some challenging gameplay.

Second: the handhelds. The PSP looks ok, and powerful, but is a bit on the big side. The Gameboy DS has two screens, one of which is a touch screen, bluetooth wireless connections and complete backwards capability to play the endless Gameboy library. Its also expected to be HALF THE PRICE OF THE PSP. Seems like Sony will fall before the might of Gameboy like every other contender before.

What other games have you guys seen pics/videos/good word of mouth on?

LightPhoenix

First Post
stevelabny said:
First: ZELDA: WOW. the screenshots and the video look AMAZING. I wasn't a basher of the cel-shaded look for Wind Waker, but I would have preferred something that looked like this. Also, Windwaker was WAY TOO EASY. Hopefull the "adult" look will also come with some challenging gameplay.
When I saw that, I was sold instantly.

Second: the handhelds. The PSP looks ok, and powerful, but is a bit on the big side. The Gameboy DS has two screens, one of which is a touch screen, bluetooth wireless connections and complete backwards capability to play the endless Gameboy library. Its also expected to be HALF THE PRICE OF THE PSP. Seems like Sony will fall before the might of Gameboy like every other contender before.
Sony's problem is that they try to be too much all in one, instead of doing one thing well. The specs look nice, but I can't imagine paying two-hundred dollars for a handheld when you can get one for half of that. Sony does have the third-party support, and the adult image, but I don't really think that will be as big a deal as it is in the console wars. Besides the price, their biggest hurdle will be convincing people why they need to buy two handhelds.

The DS looks a lot better than I imagined it, but it's all going to rest in the games for me. The biggest problem plaguing Nintendo right now is the lack of originality in their GBA games. I'm really not seeing them buck that trend with the games shown either... everything is "X brand we already have"-DS. How about some innovation guys? Aside from that, Nintendo's biggest hurdle, IMO, will be matching how much of a loss Sony will be willing to take.

I also find it ironic that Nintendo made the Gameboy line completely backwards-compatible from the get-go but not the consoles.

All in all, I think Sony will get a foot in the door, but not much else. Unless Sony can do something to match Nintendo's price, they're just not going to get anywhere. I really don't think they're going to do that by having a million features either.

Welverin

First Post
LightPhoenix said:
Sony's problem is that they try to be too much all in one, instead of doing one thing well. The specs look nice, but I can't imagine paying two-hundred dollars for a handheld when you can get one for half of that.

That's more than I paid for the Xbox and Gamecube, and there's no way I'm paying that much for a portable system with nothing innovative to it and is simply more powerful than what we have now. At least teh DS has the dual screen bit to it, which at least provides for a different experience.

As for the new GC Zelda game, it looks good, but I like the WW style more.

I haven't read about much else yet, but I'm glad to see a new GBA Zelda game on the way and MGS3 sounds like it's definitely about Big Boss.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Personally, I think the DS will destroy Nintendo. Okay, maybe not destroy, but hurt them.

Why? Because it's going to mostly split their own base. It will be almost like the Sega 32x/CD

The DS is about on par with the N-64. The PSP is about on par with the PS2. That's a huge gap (the N64 wasn't even as powerful as the PS1), and Nintendo already does have the next Gameboy in development, which will compete with the PSP.

Sony will get all the high end people. Nintendo will get all the nintendo fans. Which is largely people have GBA SPs. And those that do buy the DS, will have to buy another Nintendo portable in 2006 or so, when the next Gameboy comes out. So they have a year or two of DS games.

I also think this means the end of 2D gaming forever. The GBA Sp was the last bastion of it. Sad to see it go...

Last edited:

Welverin

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Personally, I think the DS will destroy Nintendo. Okay, maybe not destroy, but hurt them.

I have to agree with that, I haven't had my GBA all that long and getting another systme so soon doesn't make a lot of sense.

(the N64 wasn't even as powerful as the PS1)

Yes, it was. In fact it may have been a little more powerful, the cartridges held it back in quite a few ways.

shadowlight

First Post
What E3 thread could be complete without mentioning all the Halo 2 goodness!!

November 9 release date, Limited Edition version, and the sweet sweet multiplayer videos!! WEE HAW!!! How will I survive until November?!

robaustin

First Post
As far as the PSP goes...

IT's a waste.... Now if they had combined it with the Palm OS and made it a full fledged handheld as well as game machine - then you'd be talking to a HUGE market - imagine those great graphics/sound in games along with all the abilities of a PDA! Much like the TapWave Zodiac but with Sony behind it? Different story. They could tape into a HUGE segment of the PDA buying population. But at this point - I don't think they'll make inroads at all.

--*Rob

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads