• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Let's write some riddles!

Merkuri

Explorer
1. No sooner spoken then broken. What am I?
2. Feed me and I live. Give me drink and I die. What am I?
3. This is light as a feather yet no man may hold it for long. What is it?
4. Cannot be seen, cannot be felt, cannot be heard, cannot be felt. It lies behind the stars and beneath the hills. What is it?
5. Walk on the living, they don't even mumble. Walk on the dead, they mutter and grumble. What are they?

[sblock]1. Silence
2. Fire
3. Breath
4. Darkness?
5. Leaves
[/sblock]

Camelot

Adventurer
Merkuri, those last three you gave are what my group of enigmatologists usually call logic puzzles. The person asking the puzzle is expecting the recipient to ask additional questions to come to a logical conclusion.

Really? I think of logic puzzles as those that have a bunch of clues that you have to piece together to get the only logical answer. Like, you're told that five swords each go in five slots with certain sheaths and certain hilts, then you're told a bunch of clues like "The green sheath is directly to the left of a sword that is neither the short sword nor the long sword."

Merkuri

Explorer
Really? I think of logic puzzles as those that have a bunch of clues that you have to piece together to get the only logical answer. Like, you're told that five swords each go in five slots with certain sheaths and certain hilts, then you're told a bunch of clues like "The green sheath is directly to the left of a sword that is neither the short sword nor the long sword."

The bus driver "riddle" I posted above is masquerading as a logic puzzle, I think. But I really do think that the official name for albatross puzzles is "lateral thinking puzzle" or "situation puzzles", not logic puzzles.

Jon_Dahl

First Post
Ok, I made a riddle just a moment ago. Please don't be too hard on me, ok!

Here's the riddle:
I'm hiding, and you look for me
Say my name, if you know me
Say my name, and you will have me
What am I?

Note: Please don't be brutal, I'm just testing this riddle :) All for good fun, unless this thread is only for the elite riddlemasters.

Rune

Once A Fool
That is correct, and you shall have XP for that is you answer me this:
Was it too easy? ;)

Well, I figured it out, so it wasn't too hard. For that reason, it might be a good one to use in a game (where you might not want it to be too hard).

I thought it was pretty clever.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
This is a nice thread!

Here's my first attempt at making a riddle. Sorry, it doesn't rhyme... and I suspect it's a little too opaque:
What, when it goes,
goes as a wild pig, growing tall in the forest,
avoiding war, worshiped by all,
But when it returns,
returns without interest, upon an animal's back,
just a fragment, doing nothing at all?
answer:[sblock]going: boar, fir, peace, idol
returning: bore, fur, piece, idle
What goes and returns sounding the same? an ECHO.[/sblock]I'd also be interested in hearing how folks actually use riddles in a game and keep them interesting. The few I've used in, for example, modules have always fallen flat imxp. Any pointers?

Last edited:

Remove ads