[Lets's play] You're given total control of Dungeons & Dragons...

delericho

Legend
It would depend on whether my mandate is "create the game that's best for me" or "make money".

First up, whatever I'm doing, 4e is gone. Not because I think it's a bad game (I don't, although it's not my preferred edition), but because there are a number of fundamental issues I have with the game that I don't see how to fix without a new edition. (FWIW: the constant rolling revisions; the explosion of options that has made the Character Builder an essential tool for me to play the game, where I object to any required electronic component; and the combat grind are my absolute deal breakers.)

So, I'd start the team working on a new edition. My 'ideal edition' would look a lot more like 3e than 4e, but would actually look more like SWSE than either. Even then, though, the resemblance isn't all that close, as there have been a lot of really good ideas since then that should be incorporated. But certainly, it would be a lot more rules light than 3e, and a lot more option light than 4e, at least (and especially) for new players.

Incidentally, there would be four tiers, as in BECM D&D, running from levels 1-3, 4-14, 15-25 and 26-36. I don't want to go into details (they're very woolly even in my head), but that detail becomes kinda important later.

Setting support would resemble that of 3e-Eberron or 2nd-Ed-Al-Qadim; that is, a reasonably small set of books that covers an area in some detail but not too much. This is similar to the 4e model, except that I feel they've gone too far in having only three books.

As far as adventures are concerned: the Delve format is (mostly) gone. It was a noble experiment, but it seems to stifle writers. (Of course, WotC have never really excelled at adventures regardless of format - they have produced maybe half a dozen good adventures, ever.) Where it does work really well, though, is for zero-prep adventures for the time-pressed DM. So, I would keep it for "Dungeon Delve" type products.

But I would definitely look to signing up some third-party support, at least for adventures. I suspect Paizo wouldn't be interested in supporting any new edition, but maybe Goodman, ENPublishing, or some startups? (Alternatively, just bring those third-party designers in-house, and have them take over adventure writing.)

Unfortunately, I think there's no scope for bringing back the paper mags either, so that would have to continue on an electronic basis. Shame.

Now, if I'm just making the best game for me, my ideal edition would be published as six books (rule book, classes and feats, the grimoire, tome of treasures, and two big books of monsters). And that's it for rules material for two years.

After two years, the design team would do an "errata cycle writ large" to produce a new, better version of the same game. The scope of the changes here is definitely less than "3e -> 4e", or even "3.0 -> 3.5". It really is just a matter of assimilating those changes that two years of play have shown to be necessary. Republish the same six books, and then close up shop, as far as rules are concerned.

For settings, I would support only one: Eberron. If Paizo could be persuaded to turn Golarion into an official D&D setting for my edition, that would be fantastic also.

Other support would take the form of published adventures, skewing heavily towards the supported setting(s), plus monthly eDragon and eDungeon.

And that's it. We carry on until it's no longer viable to do so, then wrap up the support.

Of course, I'm deliberately setting a course towards destruction for the game. Without any means of drawing in new players, without any DDI drawing large numbers of (player) subscriptions, without any notion of Organised Play, and without any consideration of licensing, the game will founder and die. In short, it wouldn't make money.

If my goal is to make money then I'd take a different tack.

Here, my priorities are as follows:

1. Attract new players in large numbers (relatively speaking).
2. Keep those players spending money on our products.
3. Where players do leave, try to keep them in the "gamer family" in the hope they'll eventually come back. Meanwhile, keep gaming in their consciousness through carefully targeted ads and product placement.

I would position D&D as "a boardgame without the board", rather than as "an MMO without the PC". What WoW does, it does better than D&D ever could, so competing with it on its own terms is madness. D&D needs to operate based on what it does best: getting people together in the same room to play, cooperative storytelling, and ongoing narratives.

So, my new edition of D&D would be released as two products on day 1. The main product (called simply D&D) would consist of a great big box including everything you need to play. So, we'd have a Quick-Start guide, the Core Rulebook, a DM's book of sample adventures, dungeon tiles (to support the initial adventures - the game wouldn't require the use of minis by default; but see later), appropriate minis, dice (preferably several sets), pencils. Heck, even a CD including a character generator, character sheets and forms, printable handouts, more adventures, and a link to our online support.

The second product, aimed at existing players, would be the same Core Rulebook, sold separately. This would include details of the rules for the Beginner and Expert tiers, a limited set of races (Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfling), a limited set of classes (Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric), a smallish set of spells, monsters and treasures, and so on. One rulebook, of no more than 250 pages. If the game doesn't fit a book of that size, it's too complex.

Did I say two products? Well, I lied. I'd also sell the dice and dungeon tiles separately. I'd try very hard to just give away character sheets, certainly online, but in print if possible. The other day 1 product would be a "Dungeon Delve" style book of adventures intended to keep people playing, and designed to run with no prep. (See my comments on the Delve format, above.)

Thereafter, I would gradually release my "second circle" of rules products, designed to provide the missing bits from the Core Rulebook. So, here's where you find the Gnome, the Druid, levels 15 - 36, the missing dragons, and giants, and so on. There would be four such books, being Character Options, the Grimoire, Tome of Treasures, and the Expanded Monster Manual. The "second circle" would be designed assuming you're using all of them together, combining with the Core Rulebook to provide the 'complete' game.

Importantly, the game would be set up assuming you aren't using minis in the first instance (while still allowing for their use). I would later produce a "Miniatures Handbook" providing the detailed rules for using minis in your game. I would make it very clear that this was an optional component of the game... but I would also make damn certain that the game played better with minis than without. Cos I'm evil.

And, adding to my evil-ness, the line of official D&D minis would have been allowed to go out-of-print for that period when I'm developing my new edition, and then relaunched. Of course, the new minis would be designed at a slightly different scale, or otherwise to be just different enough to not quite be compatible.

I would aim to produce one setting every two years, as discussed above. The first setting would be Eberron, released some 3 months after Day 1. Then, probably, Dark Sun, or maybe Planescape, or even Spelljammer. The Forgotten Realms I'd keep out of print for at least 5 years (10 would be better), including the novel line and any licensed products. Then I would "reboot" the setting with much fanfare. The timeline would be comparable to pre-Spellplague, but the designers would absolutely not be beholden to what went before.

(Oh, and produce a new setting aimed directly at adults. Not gross and edgy 'maturity' as in "Book of Vile Darkness", but something with some real meat and, dare I say, literary quality to appeal to adults, rather than teens trying to rebel.)

Finally, there would be ongoing support with lots of adventures. Some would be designed assuming just the use of the Core Rulebook, and some for use with the "second circle" products. (Obviously, these would need to be clearly marked.) At least once per year, I would also be sure to put out another "Dungeon Delves" type product of zero-prep short adventures for use with just the Core Rulebook. Adventures would gradually drop out of print, and would be removed from sale even online.

Online, I would be looking to keep the DDI working mostly as-is. The ongoing revisions would be gone, of course, although we would issue one set of required errata for each book as needed. But the range of tools is mostly fine as-is. The online mags would need beefed up, though, and the quality would need to improve. eDungeon should offer 5-6 short adventures each month (open this to submissions from outsiders; these should be regarded as the primary means for people to break into the industry), plus an ongoing Adventure Path (roughly 1 AP per year).

The online tools would also be the only place to get some forms of support. I would never release a Power Cards product in-print, for example, but provide this only online (the cards would be customised to the particular character, as are the Character Builder's cards, and so not easily transferrable). And, as with the minis, while I would make it clear the online component was an option, I would make damn sure that the game played better with it than without.

The DDI would also be the releasing ground for all new character options for the game (excluding setting-specific stuff). And, again because I'm evil, the online options would probably be ever-so-slightly better than the in-print stuff, and gradually creep in power over the edition cycle.

(The DDI would include a virtual tabletop, but this should be considered a low-priority item. We want gamers to be in the same room to play; playing online should be supported for those who can't get together, but isn't our priority. Mostly because people who have to game exclusively online would probably be better off with an MMO.)

I would make sure to research the "gamer half-life", that is, the period of time in which the pool of gamers churns by about 50%. This would become the lifetime of an edition, repeating the pattern, but just incompatible enough to require replacement. (Obviously, make sure the new edition is somehow better than the old.)

About halfway through the edition cycle, I would remove the existing minis from sale, and ramp down production of Dungeon Tiles (in preparation for a slightly-incompatible relaunch with the next edition).

At the same time, I'd launch a new "D&D Starter Set", covering the Beginner tier with a very cut down set of options (but the same underlying rules - not a dumbed down ruleset). Crucially, it would include rules for real character generation - WotC still haven't grasped that that is an absolutely essential component of a starter set (IMO).

This would be followed by a "D&D Expert Set" expansion, covering the remaining ground from the Core Rulebook, but providing a gentle entry route to a now-bloating game.

WotC are actually doing a really good job with Organised Play (IMO), so I'd just carry on as they are doing. I especially like the little rewards given to people who are involved ("The Tomb of Horrors" conversion, for example, was inspired).

Now, licensing. Try to get the rights to a D&D movie back. Anything short of the absurd should be done here - we need a new D&D movie, but it must be done right. The existing semi-serious abominations should be wiped from existence 1984-style.

At the same time, I think there's scope for an Eberron movie. Again, it must be done right - take it seriously like "Lord of the Rings", not the standard "geeks are idiots; they'll watch anything" approach to fantasy.

Likewise, I would strongly look for licensing options for new D&D games, both bearing the generic D&D tag, and also for Eberron and other settings (but not FR until after the reboot).

When the time comes for the FR reboot, I would try really hard to have it coincide with a new computer game (NWN 4?), a new novel line and, if I can somehow manage it, a new live-action TV series.

Oh, and a new D&D cartoon, and a continuation of the D&D comic book lines, would be great, too.

Finally, push for D&D product placements, and if the budget allows, even go for actual TV adverts. Again, focus on "group of friends in the same room having fun", rather than "lonely geeks who can't get a date". Here, edgy is better than geeky - people will buy a game that pisses off their parents; they won't buy a game that suggests they'll never get a date.

pneumatik

The 8th Evil Sage
Game mechanics: 4E seems to be doing generally pretty well, so I wouldn't want to trash it and go to 5E. I would try to make a broader range of rules for it, similar to the difference between essentials and original. The base would be a (hopefully) evergreen produce like essentials that's cheap and gets you started quickly (I'm assuming the lower price and possibly the quicker start are a response to market research). Like now, some rules expansions would just add variety to the base game. Other expansions would vary more how the game works to try to capture more of the market. One expansion might be a very stripped-down rules system that runs similar to OD&D, with quick and simple combats and few additional rules and abilities at each new level. Another would try to be more like 3E, with more Vancian magic and maybe no encounter rest mechanic. Or at least that would be my guidance to the developers and designers. Those guys are better at making a game that sells than I am. Hopefully they'd be able to figure out how to fit all that into one system.

Products: Eventually most books will be digital and read on some sort of electronic device. Restarting Dragon and/or Dungeon in hardcopy is just throwing money away. I agree that having a cheap way to check out DnD is a good idea, but today that information's on the Internet and people can look it up on their smartphones while they're in the store decided if they should buy the Red Box.

I'd really push the digital aspect of DnD. Books would be available to buy digitally, ideally in a format designed for electronic reading with links to different rules, search, etc. I know very little about e-books right now, so we'd need some research to figure this out exactly.

Ultimately we want products that lure MMO players away, so that stupid online gametable would have to get working. Again, it's out of my area of expertise, but I know it's buildable. Once it's working at all I'd work on the ability to track PCs and run campaigns in it. A campaign would be defined as a series of adventures with permanent effects on PCs, and PCs who get benefits from non-campaign adventures could be blocked from playing in any more campaign adventures. Basically, it would duplicate Living campaigns online.

I'd make the gametable a separate subscription from DDI. I'd include in the subscription a campaign with regular official WotC content. I have no idea how to get DMs to run these games. I might offer discounted subscriptions or something. Players could write their own adventures and campaigns and run and share them. People who play adventures can rate them. Authors of high-rated adventures would become freelancers. It's not exactly like an MMO, but hopefully it provides enough of the MMO conveniences to grab people.

I'd also make the gametable available on multiple devices, so people can play it on their iPad or whatever.

Finally, I'd make sure Hasbro pays me a ton of money so that after my five years are up I'd just retire.

Tallifer

Hero
1. I would publicly acknowledge and bless the current Old School renaissance. And then I would leave everything 0e, 1e, 2e and 3e just as they are now: flourishing in the hands of Osric, Paizo, Labyrinth, Grognardia and a bazillion other capable and passionate old school companies.

2. I would continue to refine and perfect 4e, since only WOTC has the rights thereunto. I might be more aggressive in seeking partners for the GSL: especially publishers of modules and campaign settings. Perhaps I would allow officially sanctioned material to use WOTCs distribution network and even appear in the RPGA.

3. I would re-edit all the existing material and reprint it with the new changes. Crappy magic items, feats and powers would be improved or have their level readjusted. Feat taxes would be replaced by genuined math fixes.

4. I would find a way to include more exotic real-world cultures in D&D's published worlds. That would mean a return of Arabian Nights, Oriental Adventures and Aztec stuff, plus the creation of in-depth fantasy versions of India, a Greco-Roman Atlantis and Byzantium. Oh, and I would make a Holy Roman Empire despite Warhammer's already interesting version thereof.

5. Switch RPGA from Forgotten Realms to Eberron. Just because I prefer the latter and what is the point of being an owner otherwise?

Savevsdeath

First Post
First things first: I squeal like a little girl at getting the job of my nerdy dreams. Then...

1. 4E is my moneymaker, and a great game to boot, so i keep pushing it along as its going now. 4E does fast-paced over-the-top action better than any other system, period, and I wouldnt want to change that. Essentials would also continue to be developed as an alternative for those who want a middle ground between the front-loaded WHAM! power of mainline 4E and the 'schmuck who just picked up a sword yesterday' feel of previous editions.

2. I start work on a new edition designed with the sole purpose of delivering a swift, painful death to Crapfinder. This edition would be designed with the goal of appealing to all those grognards who jumped ship when 4E came out. it would be a more Simulationist, modular game with an OGL as open as the 3E one and the core system would truly be third edition, but better.

By necessity this system couldn't be as balanced as 4E because the intended audience doesn't care overmuch about balance, but I would make sure that particularly pointless mechanics such as Save-or-Die, Save-or-suck, the five-minute workday, CoDZilla, and useless warrior classes went away. Classes would disappear in thier current form; instead everyone would have a Base Class (Warrior, magic User, Expert) that would determine what thier overall area of focus is as a character, then I would take something like Feats and make them the core of defining character abilities - Your Base Class gives you a general tendency, and feats that match your base class would be easier and cheaper to buy than feats outside it, but it would still be possible to have them very easily.

3. DDI would have more frequent updates, and more content every month. I would dramatically expand the amount of resources devoted to DDI, including more staff to keep pumping out articles and better support for online tools. The Virtual Tabletop and Character Visualizers would become top priorities.

I would give DDI subscribers access to PDF's of ALL material from every previous edition for an additional monthly fee (maybe an additional $5-10 per month? I would pay that right now to have this stuff) in PDF format.

In short, I would make DDI so amazingly useful that nobody would dream of not having it if they played D&D.

4. Lastly, i would get TV shows, videogames, movies, any kind of media you could think of in the works for the various D&D settings, starting with Forgotten Realms.

5. Profit.

Canor Morum

First Post
I would continue the Essentials line and keep them in print as long as possible providing a low cost entry point for new players. Then print a collectors edition of all the Essentials material in hardback form for the diehard fans with some additional materials exclusive to the collectors edition thrown in.

Sell non random plastic mini packs of common low level monsters while retaining a separate line of random collectible minis.

Finish the virtual tabletop as advertised in the core rulebooks and provide a discounted price for people who have maintained a subscription to DDI.

Keep adding more campaigns on a yearly basis and also create a line of books aimed at people who enjoy world creation. Guides for making your own campaign settings, classes, races, monsters, items, etc.

Emphasize the campaign settings in advertising as opposed to the generic D&D brand.

Research recent innovations in the Indie RPG scene and incorporate some of those ideas into 5e. Allow other companies to provide supplemental material under the condition that such materials go through an approval process to maintain quality.

Create a science fiction ruleset.

Remove ads