• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level 1 Blackguard Daily?

Cheub

First Post
I somehow only recently noticed that there is no listed daily power for blackguards at level one, does this mean that they don't get a daily or that they pick from the base paladin list? Even more concerning to me since I noticed this while making a hybrid blackguard character, if they simply gain no daily at first level does that mean that I have to choose from my other hybrid class or that I just don't get one at all?

General characteristic of E-Paladins. The Cavalier also lacks a level 1 daily.

My assumption would be you simply HAVE to take a daily from your other hybrid class at level 1. There is nothing in the Hybrid Blackguard (or other hybrid E-paladin writeups) about this, and the general hybrid rules weren't written with E-classes in mind. By RAW you are owed a level 1 daily, so you get it. Blackguards DO get daily powers at higher levels, so presumably you'll have to use at least a couple of those to cover your 'half from each class' requirement.

I'd note that there are a number of cases with e-classes in general where something substitutes for a power, usually a fixed no-choice power. The hybrid writeups for these classes rarely mention this. Presumably you either pick that power or you go with the other class at that level and don't get it. I guess the alternative interpretation is just that the hybrid versions of the classes don't have these choices and pick powers normally instead.

My guess is you'll find a lot of messy little questions with E-hybrids in general. They're not super well thought out really. In any case, someone that has run a few of them may know more. I really haven't studied those rules all that carefully.

Remove ads