• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

level 5 and a plus ten to hit

akbearfoot

First Post
1 level of swordsage = one of the most worth it dips in the game.....For a level and a feat you can always be flanking if there is another ally in melee, add your dex bonus to damage, make concentration checks instead of will saves, get 2 good saves, good skill points, make 1 attack per encounter as a melee touch attack, and pick a few other cool abilities to boot. Assuming you take the dip at 6th level you could access 2nd level maneuvers. A 6th level character with all those abilities and TWF + weapon finesse and a dex of 20-23 and 3d6 sneak attack can be pretty scary. The loss of 1 BAB is offset by the free virtual weapon focus.

I think Shadow blade is totally worth 3 feats if you didnt want to dip into swordsage....because the auto flank shadow hand stance you get is completely worth a feat all by itself, and the Moment of perfect mind is absolutely amazing too. But the 1 level dip would be a much better investment IMO.

A human Rogue4/Ranger2 could have all 3 feats plus weapon finesse by 6th level.

The OP was originally talking about 2-weapon fighters, so I'll assume they would keep using their light weapons instead of swapping to greatswords :)

Halfling rogue 5 Swordsage1 with 17 base dex, a +1 wep and +2 dex item(reasonable).

BAB 3 +6dex(22 dex), +1 racial, +1 focus, +1 wep, -2 TWF = Two attacks at +10 to hit with 3d6 sneak attack, and strength and dex bonus to damage.

Or the rogue 3 ranger 2 swordsage 1 synergizes well too. Better BAB and fort save, and you end up with an extra feat but slightly less skills and 1 less SA dice.

Bottom line for me is that Shadow blade as a feat is very very strong...not gamebreaking, but definitely in the department of 'think about it before allowing it into your game'

Last edited:

Darklone

Stalker0 said:
Well if this character is a barbarian then his attack bonus is too low!! Half-Orc Barb with 24 strength while raging....CHARGE!!!
Hmm, Warblade1/bbn1/bard3... with weapon focus and Inspire courage optimised for these puny three levels... gives a +15 or more to hit after the first round.

aradinn

First Post
ok, to clear things out, they are swashbucklers so both have weapon finesse, one's dex is 18 the other's 20.
+1 enhancement from weapons and weapon focus...

+4+1+1+5= 11(I added in the ambidex feat so twf + that would mean 0 penalty)

I just wanted to know if most people have that high attack bonuses at level 5

Edit: now that i've mentioned it, what would be your take on that house rule of mine?

Darklone

aradinn said:
Edit: now that i've mentioned it, what would be your take on that house rule of mine?
Which houserule?

Well, if you allow Ambidex to work that way, a +11 is actually rather low.

Remove ads