• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level 8 Rogue / 2 Ninja (OTCM) doing 100+ damage a round?

Skead

First Post
Str - 16
Dex - 22
Con - 17
Int - 17
Wis - 12
Cha - 15

Two Light-Handed weapons, with all the Two-Weapon fighting talents I could get. Weapon Finesse and +3 to the swords (does that stack to make a +6 total, or just a +3/+3 for each weapon, for now i'll assume the latter for its slightly worse)

So he'd have 2 attacks from Rogue, and 2 extra attacks from off hand...

1st - to hit: 6 (from rogue) + 2(from ninja) + 3 (from sword) + 5 (weapon finesse) + 2(flanking) = 18
2nd - 1 (from rogue) + 2(from ninja?) + 3 (from sword) + 5 (weapon finesse) + 2(flanking)
= 12
Offhand 1 - Attack Bonus minus 5 = 13
Offhand 2 - Attack Bonus minus 10 = 8

now since i'm flanking, each *hit* is doing the standard 1d6, but an additional 6d6 for sneak attack. the character rolled up 130 damage in one round, granted he hit will all weapons, but this guy was built extremely fast and i can gaurentee he could push out more +hit to make it more reliable if he was built with a little more due care...

Does this seem right?

Skead

First Post
ps. I have two witnessess that saw me roll those, it really sucks because this isnt even my main campaign... so i wasted such good rolls :S

Deekin

Adventurer
A few Problems

You are cheating-

1. You Have Two-Weapon Fighting, and Improved TWF, along with Weapon Finess, Improved Unarmed Strike, Deflect Arrows, and Quick Draw.

A human at 10th level would only have 4 Feats, not 6.

You should Have 2 attacks with your primary Weapon at +16/+9, and Two attacks with Your off-hand weapon at +16/+9.

You Don't qualify for Greater TWF as you don't have a Base Attack bonus of 11, just 8.

The Swords are +3 to each hand. Only Dodge bonus stack in D&D.

Also, you only should have 4d6 of Sneak attack from Rouge, and 1d6 from Ninja of CM. So each attack that hits a flat-footed foe deals 1d6+6+5d6 for the Primary and 1d6+4+5d6

So if all 4 attack hit, you will average 104 Damage, with 27 damage a hit. Fight a critter with DR 10/adamatine, and that drops down to 68 damage. Stoneskin will cut your damage in half.

And good luck vs things that can't be Sneak attacked.

Shin Okada

Explorer
"from Rogue" or "from Ninja" is somewhat incorrect rule terms. Let's make it much simpler,

He is a Rogue 8/Ninja 2. So has BAB of +7/+1 in total
He has Weapon Finesse and Two-weapon fighting feats. I assume he has Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, too.
Now his Dex is +6 and using a pair of +3 Short Swords.

Now, when he makes a full attack with two short swords, his attacks are,

+3 Short Sword (primal) = +14/+9 (+7/+1 BAB, +6 Dex, +3 Sword, -2 two-weapon penalty)
and
+3 Short Sword (off hand) = +14/+9 (+7/+1 BAB, +6 Dex, +3 Sword, -2 two-weapon penalty)

His attack rolls improved by +2 if he is flanking or being invisible. +4, if both conditions are met.

And if he is just flanking he can only use his +4d6 sneak attack. His +1d6 Sudden strike works only when the opponent is flat-footed or losing dex bonus to AC. (where did that +6d6 sneak attack came from?) So usually, the best case happens only when he is flanking his enemy and invisible.

Nothing wrong with it. It is not so different from attacks of usual two-weapon rogues. Rogues may inflict tremendous amount of damages when conditions are met and the opponent is vulnerable to sneak attacks (rather good number of monsters are immune to it).

Edit: Oops. I ovelooked that OTCM thing. Whtat is that?
And even if that is 3.5e Ninja, BAB should be +7/+2 instead of +7/+1.

Last edited:

Deekin

Adventurer
Shin Okada said:
"from Rogue" or "from Ninja" is somewhat incorrect rule terms. Let's make it much simpler,

He is a Rogue 8/Ninja 2. So has BAB of +7/+1 in total
He has Weapon Finesse and Two-weapon fighting feats. I assume he has Improved Two-Weapon Fighting feat, too.
Now his Dex is +6 and using a pair of +3 Short Swords.

Now, when he makes a full attack with two short swords, his attacks are,

+3 Short Sword (primal) = +14/+9 (+7/+1 BAB, +6 Dex, +3 Sword, -2 two-weapon penalty)
and
+3 Short Sword (off hand) = +14/+9 (+7/+1 BAB, +6 Dex, +3 Sword, -2 two-weapon penalty)

His attack rolls improved by +2 if he is flanking or being invisible. +4, if both conditions are met.

And if he is just flanking he can only use his +4d6 sneak attack. His +1d6 Sudden strike works only when the opponent is flat-footed or losing dex bonus to AC. (where did that +6d6 sneak attack came from?) So usually, the best case happens only when he is flanking his enemy and invisible.

Nothing wrong with it. It is not so different from attacks of usual two-weapon rogues. Rogues may inflict tremendous amount of damages when conditions are met and the opponent is vulnerable to sneak attacks (rather good number of monsters are immune to it).

Ninja of the Cresent Moon, from Sword and Fist.

Full BAB, Gives SA evey other level, all good saves, and all sorts of neat abiltes.

Also requires 3 feats that most non-monks don't take.

Shin Okada

Explorer
Deekin said:

Full BAB, Gives SA evey other level, all good saves, and all sorts of neat abiltes.

Also requires 3 feats that most non-monks don't take.

Thanks. I was not expecting a 3e prestige class.

pressedcat

First Post
Thats a decent amount lot of damage, but then high level rogues with two weapon fighting can do a lot when they hit.

Not sure if you're working your hit rolls out right though:

A Rogue 8/Ninja 2 as far as i can remember should have a base attack bonus of +7/+2

Weapon finesse allows you to use your dex bonus to hit instead of your str bonus, so thats another +6 to hit.

If i'm understanding you right, both weapons are +3 magic weapons, so that's another +3 to hit.

So far that's a total bonus to hit of +16 to hit with your primary attack, and +11 to hit with your secondary attack on a full attack.

Two weapon fighting allows you to make an off hand attack at your highest modifier, but all attacks take a -2 to hit.

Improved two weapon fighting allows you to make a second off hand attack at a -5 penalty off your main attack, and again you are taking the same -2 to hit with all attacks.

Thus, you will have a bonus to hit when making a full attack and two weapon fighting (using bab, weapon finesse and +3 magical weapons) of:

Main hand: +14/+9 to hit,

Off hand: +14/+9 to hit.

With flanking, these bonuses will go up to +16/+11 with the main hand and +16/+11 with your off hand, all potentially dealing sneak attack. Assuming you are using short swords for the sake of argument, your attacks will be dealing:

Main hand: 1d6 sword +3 str +3 magic +5d6 sneak attack damage (average of 27 dam)

Off hand: 1d6 sword +1 str (half your str bonus) +3 magic +5d6 sneak attack damage (average 25 damage).

So if all four attacks hit and deal sneak attack, on average you should deal 104 damage.

Yet again a bit slow on typing my reply... oh well

Last edited:

Skead

First Post
Deekin said:
A few Problems

You are cheating-

1. You Have Two-Weapon Fighting, and Improved TWF, along with Weapon Finess, Improved Unarmed Strike, Deflect Arrows, and Quick Draw.

A human at 10th level would only have 4 Feats, not 6.

You should Have 2 attacks with your primary Weapon at +16/+9, and Two attacks with Your off-hand weapon at +16/+9.

You Don't qualify for Greater TWF as you don't have a Base Attack bonus of 11, just 8.

The Swords are +3 to each hand. Only Dodge bonus stack in D&D.

Also, you only should have 4d6 of Sneak attack from Rouge, and 1d6 from Ninja of CM. So each attack that hits a flat-footed foe deals 1d6+6+5d6 for the Primary and 1d6+4+5d6

So if all 4 attack hit, you will average 104 Damage, with 27 damage a hit. Fight a critter with DR 10/adamatine, and that drops down to 68 damage. Stoneskin will cut your damage in half.

And good luck vs things that can't be Sneak attacked.

absolutely correct, i completely missed that. I started making a monk, and switched over to rogue for the sneak attack damage, i left on unarmed attack etc etc.
Wouldn't it be 5 though? 2 for level 1 human, 1 for level 3, 1 for level 6, 1 for level 9?

But other than that, you're 100% correct. I don't even meet the prerequisites for some of my feats. Again noted that this was made hastily... 1 PH + 2 people making characters + only 3 hours to play = very fast (and poorly) made character.

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Deekin said:

Nerfed in errata.

Cheers, -- N

Shin Okada

Explorer
Anyway, damage output of your character seems to be not so different from normal L10 rogues. Rogues do inflict a lot of damages, but only when conditions are met. And those attack bonuses are not so wonderful comparing to those of true melee warriors. So it seems OK.

I have seen many 10th-level melee characters inflicting 50+damages in a single blow (thus, death from massive damages rule applied) or like that, without charging or flanking.

Remove ads