• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level adjustment issue

Tuskus

First Post
Hello all. My first post!
One of my players wants to add a template to his character, however, I do not wish to allow him to use level adjustments. I have been telling him that there are no templates that have level adjustment 0, yet he persists. I come to all of you to ask, are there any templates with LA 0? If so, what books might he locate them in?

seans23

First Post
Tuskus said:
One of my players wants to add a template to his character, however, I do not wish to allow him to use level adjustments. I have been telling him that there are no templates that have level adjustment 0, yet he persists. I come to all of you to ask, are there any templates with LA 0? If so, what books might he locate them in?

Yuan-Ti Broodguard is LA 0.
Incarnate Construct is LA -2 (minimum 0, so better for a race that already has a level adjustment... not sure if you can deduct from racial HD or not)

Both from savage species.

I'd say... just let him have the level adjustment. He'll die quickly due to lack of hitpoints and then he can roll a new character with LA 0.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
No +0 ones I'm aware of, but you could do something tricking w/ buying of LA as discussed in Unearthed Arcana.

irdeggman

First Post
Try the Savage Progressions articles at WotC site. You will need to filter through, IIRC their are like 4 or 5 different articles that cover the LA templates and races in the MM and DMG.

They basically take LA templates and races and break them down into a base race (no LA) and then use class levels (without hit dice) format to adjust up to the full LA.

The "levels" can be taken at anytime and do not have to all bee taken (essentially resutling in a "lesser" creature).

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20030824a

darthkilmor

First Post
seans23 said:
I'd say... just let him have the level adjustment. He'll die quickly due to lack of hitpoints and then he can roll a new character with LA 0.

Agreed, a +1 or +2 LA isnt that big a deal. He's not getting as much xp AND he's going to take longer to level.

kreynolds

First Post
Tuskus said:

Gratz!

Tuskus said:

I agree, a +1 or +2 template is no big deal. No paragon. Definately no paragon. :)

Jhaelen

First Post
Tuskus said:
One of my players wants to add a template to his character, however, I do not wish to allow him to use level adjustments.
Umm, he just wants to add any template just for the sake of adding a template? That's a bit odd. Most players are interested in a specific template because they have a certain character concept in mind.

In this case, I'd recommend adding the 'normal guy/gal' template, it's LA+0 and doesn't change anything at all. Should be sufficient to make this player happy.

Remove ads