• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Adjustment Question

radmod

First Post
Help! My brain is fragged from too much work this week and I can't remember how to do this.
I'm running a world where the PCs can pretty much be anything as long as they have documenation. A few months ago a player started a template that had no LA listed. I can't remember if there was a way to calculate it or if I simply ad-lib'd it.
Now another player wants a template that also doesn't have an LA listed and I simply can't think of how it works.
The template is the Pennaggolan from Oriental Adventures; a kind of vampire. His summary of the differences is:
HD: Same
Speed: Same, even in alternate forms.
AC: Vampires gain +6 natural armor, Pennaggolan only gains +4
Blood drain: unlike Vampires Pennaggolan do not gain HP from drinking blood.
Children of the Night: Pennaggolan do not get this ability nor an equivalent.
Dominate: Same
Create Spawn: Pennaggolan are never in control of their spawn.
Improved Grab, and Constrict: Pennaggolan gain these when Vampires don't. Although they aren't great really.
Energy Drain: Vampires get it and Pennaggolan don't.
Alternate form: Vampire gets bat, dire bat, wolf, and dire wolf. Pennaggolan get it's old body. A Pennaggolan in it's original body cannot be distinguished in any way from a normal version of the base creature. It appears as it's original alignment and is not affected by turning or sense evil/undead. Although if it's body is destroyed while the Pennaggolan is seperated it dies in 1d4 days.
Damage Reduction: Vampire gets 10/silver and magic, Pennaggolan gets 5/+1
Energy resistance: Vampire get resistance 10 cold and electricity, Pennaggolan gets 20 to the same.
Fast healing: 5 per round for both, Vampires can save themselves from death if they fall unconscious, Pennaggolan cannot.
Gaseous form: Pennaggolan do not get this or any of it's benefits.
Spider Climb: Pennaggolan does not get this.
Turn resistance: both get +4 turn resistance.
Abilities: Vampire- +6 STR, +4 DEX, +2INT, +2WIS, +4CHA
Pennaggolan- +4STR,+2DEX, +2INT, +2WIS, +4CHA
Fear Aura: Pennaggolan in natural form(undead) can make a 30ft. radius aura of fear
Skills and feats: Same

Vampire ECL modification: +5
Note: He left some things out and the Vampire ECL is actually +8, not +5.

So, does anyone remember if there was a specific way to do the LA?

Right now, since I'm basically letting them do whatever they want and I adjust for it, I'm thinking of making it +5.

Second question: I've never had this come up as a DM and never considered it. I had a character, a bard, who became an undead when the group tried to save me (by giving me some weird super potion). Becoming undead made my PC much better. I imagine that if I were playing it as an ECL character the LA would've been +2 (or +3). So, presume I was 9th level when I became undead. Would that mean that I was supposed to have reached 10th to gain a new level or 12th? (I never got the chance to level up before we switched worlds.)

Itamu

First Post
Savage species has stuff for LA as well as I believe the monster manual.
and necropolitian is a LA 0 undead template.

Starbuck_II

First Post
Help! My brain is fragged from too much work this week and I can't remember how to do this.
I'm running a world where the PCs can pretty much be anything as long as they have documenation. A few months ago a player started a template that had no LA listed. I can't remember if there was a way to calculate it or if I simply ad-lib'd it.
Now another player wants a template that also doesn't have an LA listed and I simply can't think of how it works.
The template is the Pennaggolan from Oriental Adventures; a kind of vampire. His summary of the differences is:
Note: He left some things out and the Vampire ECL is actually +8, not +5.

So, does anyone remember if there was a specific way to do the LA?

Right now, since I'm basically letting them do whatever they want and I adjust for it, I'm thinking of making it +5.

Second question: I've never had this come up as a DM and never considered it. I had a character, a bard, who became an undead when the group tried to save me (by giving me some weird super potion). Becoming undead made my PC much better. I imagine that if I were playing it as an ECL character the LA would've been +2 (or +3). So, presume I was 9th level when I became undead. Would that mean that I was supposed to have reached 10th to gain a new level or 12th? (I never got the chance to level up before we switched worlds.)

ECL = HD + LA. So it does have LA, you just have to read it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads