• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

...Level Adjustment?

Darthbelch

First Post
Yeah, I feel like a stupid Tard N00b. But hey, we were all here at one point...right? Anyway, I've got someone who wants to be a race [An Armand to be exact] and Im havin a problem....Level adjustment? UH....Whats dat? Heh...Im feelin pretty dumb right now.

Darthbelch

First Post
::Sigh..::

Nevermind...friend just showed up....he had my Monsta Manual and I couldnt look it up. Sorry bout that.

But uh....er...nvm.

Some races are more powerful than others, so to balance out the differences between the various races, the more powerful ones are given a level adjustment... That is, they are treated as being a higher level for the purposes of how much experience they gain, what amount of treasure they should have, and so on...

I'm not familiar with the race you've mentioned, but to use a common example, let's take a look at the drow, who have a +2 level adjustment.

A Drow 1st level rogue will be, in effect, a 3rd level character. He still only has 1 Hit Die (or character level). He still only has one level worth of skill points. He still only has all of the benefits of a 1st level rogue... but since he has all those nifty drow abilities... He's treated as being a 3rd level character.

Hope that helps.

Later
silver

Shin Okada

Explorer
From SRD,

Starting Level of a Monster PC: Monsters suitable for play have a level adjustment given in their statistics. Add a monsters level adjustment to its Hit Dice and class levels to get the creatures effective character level, or ECL. Effectively, monsters with a level adjustment become multiclass character when they take class levels. A creatures ?monster class? is always a favored class, and the creature never takes XP penalties for having it.

Level Adjustment and Effective Character Level: To determine the effective character level (ECL) of a monster character, add its level adjustment to its racial Hit Dice and character class levels.
Use ECL instead of character level to determine how many experience points a monster character needs to reach its next level. Also use ECL to determine starting wealth for a monster character.
Monster characters treat skills mentioned in their monster entry as class skills.
If a monster has 1 Hit Die or less, or if it is a template creature, it must start the game with one or more class levels, like a regular character. If a monster has 2 or more Hit Dice, it can start with no class levels (though it can gain them later).
Even if the creature is of a kind that normally advances by Hit Dice rather than class levels a PC can gain class levels rather than Hit Dice.

ECL is used to determine XP and wealth of a PC. And ECL = racial HD + character class levels + LA.

In case of Armand, it has racial HD of 5 and LA of +3. So, an Armand without character class levels has ECL of 8. So he has the same XP as a 8th-level human (XP 28,000). And assumed have same amount of gears as a 8th-level human has. When his XP total reaches to 36,000, he can gain a level of character class and become, say, Armand Fighter 1.

For example, if other PCs (of LA +0 non-racial HD races) start the game at 10th-level, an Armand will start as Armand something 2 (or Armand something 1/something 1).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads