• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Adjustments

Tristissima

Explorer
I'm creating a random campaign setting using my newly-purchased Book of Templates and need some help.

Specifically, I'm trying to determine the LAs of a few of the weaker monsters I have ended up creating (and hopefully shave off a couple to determine the seven "core" non-human races I want).

Can anyone provide or point me to Lavel Adjustments for the following (with or wothout the template)?

Deep One Lantern Archon
Mindbender Dretch
Enchanted Allip
Hypermitotic Juvenile Arrowhawk
Nymph Child Choker

For those concerned about the math, I have already determined the LAs for the Dragon-Blooded Bugbear, Savage Azer, Nettlecloud Aranea, and Immortal Derro).

WARNING: GEEK-GUSH COMING. IT WILL RAMBLE AND ASSUME YOU HAVE KNOWLEDGE ONLY I CAN POSSIBLY HAVE AT THE TIME. IT WILL BE LARGELY UNRELATED TO THE ACTUAL QUESTION AND ALSO BE QUITE UNDERDEVELOPED. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

The setting is developing quite nicely and exotically for those interested in the inpiration I have garnered from such randomness. If anyone has any initial ideas or inspirations (or questions, criticisms, and insults for that matter), please post them as well as or instead of answers to my question. I am thinking it will be fairly Mesoamerican inspired, though not too much, largely due to the Apocalyptic Couatl who is one of the more powerful of the beings I created. It will most definitely have an advanced philosophical/mystical/religious complex, possibly monotheistic, with heavy emphasis on an odd set of 4 elements. The elements are Substance (a visible content), Motion (a visible carrier), Lightning (an invisible -- well, usually :) -- content), and Sound (an invisible carrier). I haven't figured it out entirely, but the current popular system venerates the Elemental Elect who rose centuries ago: a snake, a bird, and two humans who achieved a union of sorts with those 4 elements, an elemental enlightenment. Based partially on their alignments, content is considered neutral, but carrying -- transmission -- of content is considered good. Thus, most priests (elemental-based rather than deity-based, though the Elect fulfill that niche), focus on creative expression or diplomacy or language or things along those lines.

Li Shenron

Legend
You can find the LA of the base creatures in the SRD, have you checked that? Then I guess that the book has a LA for its templates, or is that what you're asking help for?

By the way, just to be sure... do you know that LA is used for PLAYER CHARACTERS only? Just checking, because they are going to be quite weird PCs :D

Li Shenron

Legend
...or maybe you were asking because the SRD actually doesn't have it for those? :p I just checked it and only the Dretch has LA (+2). Usually that means that Arrowhawks, Allips, Lantern Archons and Chokers are not supposed to make very playable PC, so I guess that estimating a LA anyway wouldn't be an easy task...

Tristissima

Explorer
Yes, I do realize all of that. I, however, think the races presented might work out in play. Or, at least, I would like to try. Not finding the necessary information in the SRD, I have come here. The Mindbender Dretch is a question due to the template, not the base.

I have since found one post somewhere on the Wizards boards suggesting a +4 LA for the archon. Do ya'll think that's reasonable? What about the others?

Tristissima

Explorer
Semi-bump: I just found a post buried in the Wizards boards with a side reference that the DMG (I presume 3.0, since the 3.5 would just put it in the MM, and because I can't find it in 3.5) gave chokers an LA +3. That sound right to ya'll?

That leaves me with the Level Adjustments for the Mindbender template (it's listed in the Book of Templates as "--", but I am unwilling to accept that), the Allip, and the Arrowhawk. Any ideas?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads