OD&D Level drain recovery houserule

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
I've been running old school level drain. I make sure to signpost it (chill auras, deathly cold, etc.) and to put BIG treasures with such monsters, and I make them infrequent. And so far I think I've generally made fighting those undead optional side content, not compulsory to do the main stuff in a dungeon.

Jmarso

Adventurer
I've been running old school level drain. I make sure to signpost it (chill auras, deathly cold, etc.) and to put BIG treasures with such monsters, and I make them infrequent. And so far I think I've generally made fighting those undead optional side content, not compulsory to do the main stuff in a dungeon.
Good strategery. Our last 2E party (Ravenloft / gothic horror) quickly learned the clues about when level-draining undead were nearby, and frankly we left some good treasure and XP on the table to just avoid those encounters completely.

GreyLord

Legend
Flaming Missile weapons, daylights, positive energy, and Magic that you can cast from a distance are your friends.

Also a Good Cleric at your side that can turn them...or better yet...destroy them outright.

Remove ads