• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Leveling Up

SilverBulletKY

First Post
Do you make the group level up at a short or long rest or do you let them get the benefits of the new level immediately? That seems a little strange to me that you would instantly know new spells in the middle of a dungeon or other new abilities like that. I was thinking of making them wait until a long rest.

I always require a long rest, so a character can reflect upon what he or she has learned.

In the Pathfinder game I play, which is equally fuzzy on when to allow levelling, the GM will allow us to gain a level at any instant (though you still need to rest in order to prepare new spells).

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I'd rather put some training requirements in, but I usually don't assign experience until the end of the adventure where there is some downtime. 5e with its amazingly fast leveling will probably change that to a long rest, but I think I'll be house ruling XP stuff soon.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
I require training. So, while i"ve not yet run/played a 5e game, I see no reason I would not continue that. So, yes to a long rest...assuming that long rest is a minimum of 1 week +.

Depending on the group and the situation of the adventure...I have been known to let parties level up in medias res, like, usually over 8-9th level, working with the story/fluff that they are so expert in their chosen class they can [handwave] "figure out/discover" how to better themselves without mentoring. But somewhere relatively secure and some amount of time will be required. Working with a mentor at higher levels let's you level up faster (if not cheaper).

So, yes to long rest...with training....at lower levels. Shorter "long rest", possibly without training, at higher levels.

Nefzyflin

Explorer
For the time being I use a short rest ( 1 hour ) as enough time for a character to reflect on things enough, to come out of it feeling a little better / stronger.

Olfan

First Post
I always require a long rest to gain any XP at all. I would prefer to require training and down time, but my adventures tend to run long and aren't episodic in nature so that's a bit harder to pull off. Can't exactly have a training montage while the world is in constant danger.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I always require a long rest to gain any XP at all. I would prefer to require training and down time, but my adventures tend to run long and aren't episodic in nature so that's a bit harder to pull off. Can't exactly have a training montage while the world is in constant danger.

Yeah, which is one of the things I don't like about the beat the clock to save the world plots ala Tyranny of Dragons which I'm starting to run. But for a campaign to get 5e down I'll just roll with it. For my typical episodic games its not an issue.

Joddy37

First Post
I award xp always at session end and always after a long rest in town. For certain levels (like 3rd, 5th and 8th) I may rule for downtime training.

Lancelot

Adventurer
At session end, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. the party is in a tense double-session adventure with tight time-limits or a special story reason where they don't have an opportunity to rest and train). Our sessions tend towards the long side (5-6 hours, or longer), so we can usually cover a lot of material and end with a long rest in that time.

Remove ads