• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Levels, what do they mean?

Drakmar

Explorer
As has been said before... Levels are a construct that allows you and the players to have a consistent set of rules to be able to play a game that is essentially fairly abstract. They allow both you and a players to assess levels of power/risk/danger etc without having the normal things that we do in real life ie "man.. that guy just play looks dangerous" etc. As such in game they are fairly meaningless as a value except to guide aspects of the characters view on life.. ie I'm a 20th fighter or I KNOW I'm pretty tough.. I reckon I can handle this other fighter.

As for high level campaigning.. there are several options. One, just scale up the monsters, make them tougher, increase the CR etc. That's the big hammer approach. Or move it into the political/leadership realms.. Or make what they have to do impact the world. Way to hard to list here.

But the KEY is to talk with your player group and negotiate with all of them to find a play style that suits you ALL.. Especially you as the DM. I, for example, can't run political games.. drives me nuts.

Good luck

D.

Remove ads