• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Levitate is a save-or-die spell

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Being helplessly blown along slowly by a breeze in a direction you haven't chosen isn't any better than staying still, and is rather more humiliating; and the ability to be helplessly blown slowly along in a random direction by a breeze certainly isn't proof of smartness.
Perhaps - but putting one's cloak out as a sail to help said breeze would be. :)

borg286

Explorer
When one looks at damage from the perspective of monster action reduction, then we see the following.
That an OP striker may be able to take down a single for in 1-2 rounds, but there are 4 more. If the battle lasts 5 rounds then he has eliminated 3 monster actions than if he was doing nothing.
An AOE softens up a bunch of guys but does not immediately reduce monster actions. He simply makes it easier for single target characters to mop up later.
A Levitate takes out 1 for immediately, which is 5 action monsters. A Twin Levitate kills 10 monster actions. That is if they both fail. It averages out to 7.5 monster actions accounting for chance to save on 1 or 2 targets and whatnot.
From this perspective and the ease of killing them in the air, this is a very potent spell

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I guess that extra mile an hour will turn the whole encounter around after an hour or so!
Sure, there's times when it won't help a lick.

All I'm trying to point out is that a Levitated target isn't always as completely helpless as the OP would seem to suggest.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sure, there's times when it won't help a lick.

All I'm trying to point out is that a Levitated target isn't always as completely helpless as the OP would seem to suggest.
I'm not sure I'd qualify "being at the mercy of a slight breeze" as "not helpless". But YMMV!

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Well, it's concentration, so your wizard is half-nullified while holding them up in the air. But yeah, other than that there's no save beyond the initial one.

That said, don't forget this bit:

If you are the target, you can move up or down as part of your move.

So if your move is more than the 20' the caster can move you, you're basically just exchanging an action with the caster as an action tax on both of you.

Naw, the "you" in that sentence is the caster.

All targets, other than the caster as a target, can move "only by pushing or pulling against a fixed object or surface within reach " or by "you [the caster] can use your action to move the target".

If however the target is you, the caster of the spell, you also have the option to "move up or down as part of your move."

It's saying you can move another target with your regular action, or your move action if you cast it on yourself.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they're stupid, yes.

If they're smart - Levitate only controls vertical movement. Outdoors there's always wind, and sooner or later the target will get blown downwind out of range unless the caster manages to follow. Indoors, flapping your cloak or getting one of your nearby allies to spend a bonus action giving you a quick shove will get you moving, and sooner or later you'll hit a wall which gives you way more horizontal movement control as you can push yourself along or away from said wall.

Doesn't matter. Sometimes a single spell can win the battle, and I'm fine with that.

But remember, the NPC caster opponents can use it too..... :)
The spells says that the target can only move if they have something solid to push or pull against. A light breeze won't cut it as the spell is written. Even a strong wind would require a DM ruling to allow the victim to move.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The spells says that the target can only move if they have something solid to push or pull against. A light breeze won't cut it as the spell is written. Even a strong wind would require a DM ruling to allow the victim to move.
To me that means the target can only move itself if there's something to grab on to. There's nothing at all about external forces e.g. a breeze or someone giving the person a push. Same as a paralyzed target being thrown in a river: the target can't move itself but the river can carry it along just like any other bit of debris.

Also, if a person is already moving when levitated would you have that mean the person then stops in place? I sure wouldn't; the target wuld keep drifting at the same speed in the direction it was already moving until-unless external forces dictated otherwise or it got out of spell range.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
To me that means the target can only move itself if there's something to grab on to. There's nothing at all about external forces e.g. a breeze or someone giving the person a push. Same as a paralyzed target being thrown in a river: the target can't move itself but the river can carry it along just like any other bit of debris.
I think you’re misunderstanding us. Nobody says a light breeze doesn’t count; we‘re just saying it’s (a) insignificant and (b) not under the victim’s control, so no better than been stationary. I mean, if you feel helplessly drifting slowly away is an advantage, fair enough. But to me it’s even worse than hovering still. Remember, you predicated this on the smartness of the victim. :)

A rushing river is another beast entirely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads