• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Levitate is a save-or-die spell

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
To me that means the target can only move itself if there's something to grab on to. There's nothing at all about external forces e.g. a breeze or someone giving the person a push. Same as a paralyzed target being thrown in a river: the target can't move itself but the river can carry it along just like any other bit of debris.

Also, if a person is already moving when levitated would you have that mean the person then stops in place? I sure wouldn't; the target wuld keep drifting at the same speed in the direction it was already moving until-unless external forces dictated otherwise or it got out of spell range.

This whole "breeze" thing is silly. It's 10 minutes long. And no they do not keep drifting it's not anti-gravity creating a void. There is nothing in the text of this spell which says anything about externally being moved more easily by wind or momentum.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
This whole "breeze" thing is silly. It's 10 minutes long. And no they do not keep drifting it's not anti-gravity creating a void. There is nothing in the text of this spell which says anything about externally being moved more easily by wind or momentum.

Seems like strong enough wind blowing a levitated creature around is a good ruling - and definitely not something against the rules of the spell.

borg286

Explorer
This does make me think that Levitate + Gust cantrip might be perfect for dropping enemies over cliffs, into wells, etc. I'd rule that since a creature on the ground can make a saving throw to avoid being moved 5', one floating in the air automatically moves that 5'.
The cliff idea doesn't work as you want as Levitate says they float gently to the ground when the spell ends, regardless of how it ends. The cliff would simply make them go away, not killed. Given that we have 10 minutes, it shouldn't be hard to pelt them to death.

borg286

Explorer
The weight limit really puts a damper on how encounter ending this spell is. It gets better the bigger the target, but a lot of the targets you really want to use it on are too heavy. It should shine against dangerous melee humanoids I suppose. Or things like the orc chieftain. It's a cool use of the spell, but I think it's situational enough that it's not OP, IMO anyway. In a general way, I'd probably rule it doesn't work on anything 10' or taller, or anything shorter than that that seems obviously massy, like bigger quadrupeds or especially burly doodes and that sort of thing. Heck, PC centaurs are 1000lbs.
That is a great point. I looked up the weights of various animals and a big strong horse is at this 500 lb limit, same with an anoconda and lion. An elephant is over this limit and sometimes 3x this limit. An ogre, as seen in harry potter would probably be pushing it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads