• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Levitate is a save-or-die spell

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
That's a fairly blatant False Equivalence. Wind blowing an object on the ground does not equal the wind blowing the same object while it is suspended. Try it some time. Take a small flower put and put in in decent wind. It won't move on the ground. Now suspend it by a thread in the same strength wind. It will move.

Wind blowing against a man sized object suspended on a wire also does not move the man like he's weightless.

Now can we talk about the rules and magic, as opposed to physics? There is nothing in the text of the spell which says you are weightless. Weightlessness, even in just one direction, would have a lot of ramifications for other rules and would have to be in the text to have that effect.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It might if someone claimed the spell caused actual weightlessness
Weightless doesn't really matter here. If one caster can cast the spell on a target, 2, 3, ,5 10 or 1000 can. I'd be curious to see what happens to a victim that has 1000 wizards all raising him up and down 20 feet 1000 times in 6 seconds, though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
2. I've been reported for statements similar to yours here. Seems it's against the rules to tell others what to do.

Mod Note:
Sorry, I have to use "mod voice" here to make it clear this isn't a thing to argue over in the thread...

If you want the rules to be applied, please report the post. What we have here is, intentionally or not, a passive aggressive insinuation that someone is a Bad Actor, when you don't actually have the standing to make that call.

G

Guest 6801328

Weightless or not, that is a good question. :)

I suspect the end result would see the poor target bobbing up and down in mid-air while the two (or more!) Wizards trying to control it got redder and redder in the face...

Oh, yes. I didn't mean that it matters whether or not Levitate makes somebody weightless. The question was something to the effect of "if a spell with a weight limit were cast on somebody with levitate on them" and I thought, "What other spell is there with a weight limit?" Then, "Hmmm...what if it was another levitate."

And I think your answer is correct, primarily because D&D is a turn-based game. Which is kind of hilarious.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There is no spell. Your scenario stated man suspended by a wire. Bring those goal posts back here.

Under the effects of a spell you move at HALF SPEED when pushing against a ceiling (as if you are climbing). Why would that be, if you are weightless?

How fast would a Mage Hand spell push you, given it normally couldn't move anything which weighs more than 5'?

borg286

Explorer
Does anyone have a link to a monster database that includes their attacks and if those attacks are ranged or not? Bonus points if it also lists the spells they know. I'd like to find the CR breakpoints for the spell.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
How does wind interact with a creature if they are flying? On the ground? It'a all the same answer. Unless something in the spell description says otherwise, it doesn't have any effect. Wind doesn't do anything in the game, unless it says it does.
That sounds very much like 3e-think there: nothing happens unless a rule says it can.

Bleah!

Whatever happened to good old common sense?

Remove ads