• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Leylines & power nodes

Nylanfs

Adventurer
My DM has started introducing hints and hooks about leylines and power nodes. Specifically Earthnodes from the Underdark WotC source.

So I need to gather general and specific info on leylines and power nodes in roleplaying games and in RW mythology.

I was told that RIFTS had some info (who knows whether the concepts are portable or what my DM has im mind), but with all the sources that system has I have no idea what book to look for.

Anyone have some idea's for me?

DrunkonDuty

he/him
In RIFTS there was a character class called Linewalker. There was, IIRC, info about ley lines in general there.

There's also a series of 3rd party supplements called "The Complete Wizard" (again, IIRC.) Volume IV has a section on Ley Lines et. al. Basically you can tap into them for XP to create magic items/cast spells. The same book has a section on astrological effects on different types of magic (bonus caster levels or spell DC, that sort of thing) that could be easily adapted to ley lines of different types.

Sorry about the vagueness, I don't have either of these books myself.

cheers

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Generally speaking, Ley lines are lines of magical/natural energy that flow around a world, and nodes occur where the lines cross.

In RPG, literature & legend, ley lines are usually places where it is easier for spellcasters to do magic. In some cases, lines & nodes are the ONLY places magic can be done.

Underdark is no different- as I recall, spellcasters at an Earthnode add to their effective caster level.

Mercurius

Legend
John Michell's New View over Atlantis is still the classic on ley lines. Also, check out the work of Richard Leviton--his books would be great RPG material, although not meant as such.

kallisti23

First Post
You might check out the Book of Magecraft from AD&D 2E's Birthright campaign setting... it had its own system of ley-lines and magical power sources and nodes and such that may or may not resemble what your DM is doing.

Remove ads