• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

LF RPG where characters can change "powers" at will

Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a RPG where the characters can pretty much change their powers at will?

I'm not talking about what basically Wizards and Clerics do by selecting new spells each day, but rather a game where a character has access to multiple powers but can only activate a few at once. Perhaps there would be a cost to switching powers.

An example of play would be that a character activates his Flight and Agility powers to dodge projectiles and reach the top of a building where he then activates his Armor and Melee power to take on the fiend waiting for him there.

It would probably be more of a Modern / Supers / Scifi RPG, as I have difficulty seeing such rules for a Fantasy setting.

Thanks in advance for sharing the lore!

AR

5ekyu

Hero
Hello all,

Does anyone know if there is a RPG where the characters can pretty much change their powers at will?

I'm not talking about what basically Wizards and Clerics do by selecting new spells each day, but rather a game where a character has access to multiple powers but can only activate a few at once. Perhaps there would be a cost to switching powers.

An example of play would be that a character activates his Flight and Agility powers to dodge projectiles and reach the top of a building where he then activates his Armor and Melee power to take on the fiend waiting for him there.

It would probably be more of a Modern / Supers / Scifi RPG, as I have difficulty seeing such rules for a Fantasy setting.

Thanks in advance for sharing the lore!

AR
Mutants and Mastrminds and Hero have this represents in two ways.

One is "power arrays" or "multipowers" where you have a pool of points and a lot of pre-set slots to use them on. Typically this can result in characters using two or three powers at a time out of a list of a dozen or more. These are often themed like fire powers, force fields weather powers etc.

Another way they represent it is by variable powers or variable power pools which is similar but allows the specifics of the "slots " to be redefined on the fly. These are often useful for broader concepts like full shapeshifters or massive tech labs or gazillion suits of armor. Sometimes they require limitations like "change only at lab" or "change by out of combat ritual"

Scifi games like Eclipse Phase have not quite the same when they represent sleeving- changing bodies.

Those are the first I recsll.

Remove ads