• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lichfiend CR

frankthedm

First Post
jontherev said:
Hey thanks for the tip! I'm a new DM, so I'm not used to devious spells like that. So, this would also work when a Lich creates itself, with a permanency spell? Granted, it would only work for the area of effect, and only until someone dispelled it for the first time...but it should work I would think.
Those are not temporary HP. They never go away.

jontherev

First Post
frankthedm said:
Those are not temporary HP. They never go away.
Wow, thanks. At first read, I thought it was saying it only applies while in the area of desecration, but upon reading more closely, I believe you are correct. The other effects only apply in the area of desecration, but the hit points are forever (well, until destruction anyway). Thanks!

Sejs

First Post
frankthedm said:
Given that a an outsider has a d8 HD and thus gets about 2 HP per die more from a d12, it is still sort of like having an 18 Con once the Dececrate HP kick in. Less wretched than one would think. Improved toughness should be on the 'feats to take' list for the lich fiend none the less.

You know.. I wonder - If you had the Corpsecrafter feats would they apply to you when you made yourself into a lich?

Klaus

First Post
frankthedm said:
That is what Desecrate is for!

Desecrate
Evocation [Evil]
Level: Clr 2, Evil 2

...An undead creature created within or summoned into such an area gains +1 hit points per HD...

If the desecrated area contains an altar, shrine, or other permanent fixture dedicated to your deity or aligned higher power, the modifiers given above are doubled... +2 hit points per HD for undead in the area).

Given that a an outsider has a d8 HD and thus gets about 2 HP per die more from a d12, it is still sort of like having an 18 Con once the Dececrate HP kick in. Less wretched than one would think. Improved toughness should be on the 'feats to take' list for the lich fiend none the less.
Neat!

Child of Hypnos

First Post
the talk of desecrate and corpsecrafter made me wonder,
when turning oneself into a lich, does the individual make his Phylactery and then kill himself, instantly becoming an undead creature, or does he make his phylactery and then wait to die of natural causes/be killed, and then continue as an undead thereafter?

only reason i ask is itd be a great way of having a villain who is obviously alive return as a lich some time after the party killed him? just a thought...

jontherev

First Post
Child of Hypnos said:
the talk of desecrate and corpsecrafter made me wonder,
when turning oneself into a lich, does the individual make his Phylactery and then kill himself, instantly becoming an undead creature, or does he make his phylactery and then wait to die of natural causes/be killed, and then continue as an undead thereafter?

only reason i ask is itd be a great way of having a villain who is obviously alive return as a lich some time after the party killed him? just a thought...
I think it's instantaneous, as part of the ritual, but if you're the dm and you want to do it that way, who's stopping you? :D

Child of Hypnos

First Post
It was kinda inspired by an old Sinbad movie (the ones with plasticine monsters... I think it was eye of the Tiger, but not certain...), there's a fight and Sinbad impales BBEG through chest with his sword, and the bloke just laughs at him. All this results in a quest to find and destroy the villains heart which is preserved off somewhere esoteric.
Your thread may have just inspired me to build a Rakshasa Lichfiend for my Eberron campaign... hmm.....

Remove ads