• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Life changes

EricNoah

Adventurer
Hey there,

As some of you may know, I recently came to a disturbing realization that I was no longer enjoying RPGs the way I once did. That realization came toward the end of a summer with very little gaming action -- and when I did finally get to DM my campaign, I found there was no joy left. Learning/discovering that a major part of my life was over was a serious blow to me. I had a day of sheer panic, and a then weeks of soul-searching before I really, truly realized that (at least for now) DMing is a thing of my past. It was like a part of me died. It was like the future me that I had always had in my mind was dead. And even now I miss the idea of D&D in my life. I certainly feel like I've lost touch with my players and that it might be a long, long time before I see them again. I'll miss that the most.

I am now in the process of trying to re-define what it means to be "me." What my copious spare time is now for. What activities beyond gaming I might enjoy. My biggest weakness is my fear of failure, and I predict that finding a new hobby will be a challenge due to this weakness. I have lost about 20 lbs this summer and am in the best shape of my adult life. I don't want to backslide in this area, so for sure one of my new "hobbies" is simply to maintain my health through diet and exercise. But I have found that I am not eating quite as healthily nor exercising quite as much, so I really need to work on finding a physically active hobby or activity that I can do frequently.

I don't know why I'm sharing, other than the fact that a) it helps me clear my mind and organize my thoughts, and b) just sharing a life change with friends makes me feel better and helps solidify it in my mind. Mourning is an appropriate reaction to a life change of this magnitude, I believe. And then getting back up and dusting myself off is the next important step, and I think I'm up to the challenge.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Many people leave the hobby then come back to it later.

Of course, many people leave the hobby and never come back.

Role-playing (IMO) should be about having fun. Whatever new hobby - or hobbies - you choose, just make sure it enhances your life.

Best of luck in your pursuit, Eric.

You're always welcome here, of course.

Tinner

First Post
The great thing about spare time and hobbies, is that you aren't chained down to either.
They can be enjoyed in whatever manner you choose. If a hobby of any kind ever comes to completely dominate your spare time, then it has moved into the realm of obsession, or possible occpation.

Good luck finding new activities!

Blue_Kryptonite

First Post
Its only a lifestyle if you need it to be.

It sounds like you no longer need it to be. This is good, it means that you're growing as a person.

And its not going anywhere. You may find yourself back behind the screen in X amount of time, having a blast. You may not.

Its all good, as long as you're growing, reaching, trying new things. If you ever stand still (even Diaglo grows a little, he plays other games on occasion. When forced.
smile0094tm.gif
), then you may as well be joyless DMing.

Psionicist

Explorer
My friends and I call this the dentist syndrome. Even if you have a great dentist you simply don't want to visit him. When you are there though, it's not so bad. Same thing with D&D. I can't say I'm looking forward to the next gaming session but once I'm there I will probably enjoy at least 30 minutes of the 6 or so hours. The problem is, of course, when you are lying in the horrid chair and you realize it hurts like hell. I'm not there yet myself, but I am pretty sure I will be soon.

Have you tried photography? My new toy is a digital SLR. It's like the real thing except I can shoot thousands of photos in one go and I don't have to touch any chemicals!

rigur

First Post
It's not the end of the world. I left gaming years ago, I still like to hang out here. I have other hobbies like golf and photografy which I enjoy very much. I still miss RPG's they will always have a special place in my heart. You will find new things to do Eric, just enjoy exploring the new possibilities life has given you.

Richard

caudor

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us. Even if our advice falls off mark in many cases, it sounds like you are already well into the process of reflection and change...this is good for you. I suspect re-examining what your life priorities has been a big part of this process. Health is definately a great priority to have at the top. I'm very confident you'll be able to manage this change successfully, so I'll just leave you with one quick formula that may help you with whatever direction you decide to take.

Five Step Formula for Success:
1. Decide what you what to be, have, and give (your outcome first)
2. Decide what action or actions it will take to get there
3. Important: take first needed action in sequence right now
4. Measure your results; evaluate success or failure
5. If #4 if positive, go to step #3, if not, go to step #2 (change your approach)

And sometimes you just need to place your sword on the mantle in order to re-sharpen your edges.

Good luck and best wishes :)

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Time passes. Things change. Interest rates fluctuate...;)

It's all good, Eric. Although I sort of hope you find your love for the hobby again because that's probably the only way we'll ever coax you back to GenCon and I'd really love to meet you some day. You seem like a really neat guy.

But even if you put down the dice for good, you should find something in life that brings you great joy and pursue it with gusto. I just found out that my dad has cleaned out his spare garage and bought every power tool he can get his hands on. He's suddenly taken up woodworking! At 64! It's never too late to start a new hobby that you really enjoy.

I wish you luck in this endeavor and urge you to view it as a giant opportunity rather than something that scares you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads