• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Life Cleric and the spell Aid

Undrhil

Explorer
Does the Life Cleric's first level domain benefit affect castings of the spell Aid at all?

Aid increases the targets' maximum hit points and current hit points by 5 per spell level.
Does the first level benefit add the 2 + spell level adjustment to either of those numbers?

By the exact wording it does not, but considering they ignore the wording of Goodberry and the Life Domain and let them work together, it would make sense that it worked on a spell that actually raises a target's hit points when it is used, compared to Goodberry that does not raise a target's hit points when used.

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
By the exact wording it does not, but considering they ignore the wording of Goodberry and the Life Domain and let them work together, it would make sense that it worked on a spell that actually raises a target's hit points when it is used, compared to Goodberry that does not raise a target's hit points when used.
I don't think that's what the exact wording implies... Disciple of Life says
"Whenever you use a spell of 1st level or higher to restore hit points to a creature, the creature regains additional hit points equal to 2+ the spell's level."

If you are wounded and a cleric casts aid on you, then you regain hit points. DoL should clearly apply, hp are being restored.

If you aren't wounded then I don't see how it could apply... in that case the spell is giving you extra hit points, not restoring hp you have lost. But it doesn't matter anyway because your max only went up by 5, any extra hp granted would be wasted.

Either way DoL shouldn't impact the amount your max hp is raised, that's not "restoring hp" by any measure.

Say you have a normal max of 15 but you've taken 6 points of damage and someone casts Aid on you. I would be fine with saying you can regain the extra hp from DoL first (thus healing 4 points), then the spell raises your hp by 5, leaving you with a total of 18 hp out of a (temporary) max of 20.

Remove ads