• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Life in the ghett-o

Brennin Magalus

First Post
While waiting for my condo to close (supposed to occur next Monday) I have been renting from my realtor. Unfortunately, this place is not a good area, and I will be glad to leave. Today, I was dragged into the domestic dispute of my neighbors, which had started when the guy confronted the girl about some drug paraphernalia she had. Anyway, while I did not see any violence, there was shouting and some pulling (he was trying to pull her back to the unit to confront her). One of the three children was genuinely frightened by this and came to my unit asking for my help, so I went over there and I saw the man grab the woman's bag and leave the unit. I called my manager to let him know what was going on but he was not concerned (he said they were "off"). I was not too concerned at that point either, since I had not witnessed any physical abuse, except where the emotional state of the children was concerned. The man saw me talking on the phone with my manager and produced a pipe from the bag and told me that was what the dispute was about through the window. A little while later he confronted her about the drugs and then there was some shouting and or screaming (I'm not sure if it was her or one of the children) and then I didn't hear anything.

Since I was still concerned for the children and I did not want to have the situation escalate, I called the police and left my name. Later they came and arrested the man, but they didn't question me. However, I figured I should probably make a statement so I approached the police and shortly thereafter I was questioned by one of them. However, before the officer questioned me he asked for an ID and my social security number. I was caught off guard by the later request, so I did not object at the time, but later I was uncomfortable about that sort of intrusiveness. I called the department later and inquired why an officer would ask for my social and was told that it was to verify my identity. Still later, I talked to my grandfather who is a retired police officer about it, and he cited a federal law that prevents people from requiring your social security number for identification (which I'm sure I've heard before). Anyway, I will be glad when I don't have to deal with this garbage anymore (this is actually the second time I've experienced an incident here, the first being an encounter with a crackhead who "needed to get home to her children.")

devilbat

First Post
Nice, and I complain because I've had two bikes stolen from my yard, and the wannabe gangster kid across the street swears at my dog when he barks.

Sorry to hear about your recent ghetto experiences.

"On a cold and gray chicago morn’
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghetto"

DethStryke

Explorer
Ahh... memories...

I was forced to live in the Ghetto for a number of my later teenage years. I remember when I was around 17-18, the neighbor's daughter was friends with the girl up the block (who's house was known as the "crack house". I think that is relatively self-explanatory). She was over my neighbor's house that afternoon, and I had stood outside with her and my neighbor shooting the s**t when she was there. She was around 20 years old. Her boyfriend was my age.

Later that night, she was with her boyfriend and evidently a group of guys who she had sold some bad weed to (too much oregano I guess) decided to retaliate that lost money with a shotgun. He had nothing to do with any of the deals, just happened to be there. They hit him with three shots to the chest, and he died within minutes up against the wall of a bar two blocks from my house. The girl who did all the dealing and shorted the shooters got away without a scratch.

Course, this was 7-8 years ago now. She is probably dead anyway. :\

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
When my wife and I hear stories like these on the news it makes us SOOO glad that we are fortunate to have a nice house, and a good job. Lot to be said for getting a good education and going to college and getting a good job.

My wife is a therapist and she deals with this kind of stuff constantly.

reanjr

First Post
die_kluge said:
Lot to be said for getting a good education and going to college and getting a good job.

Unfortunately, that's not an option for the greater number of people who live in those conditions.

Although, I must add that living in the "ghetto" (a ghetto is a racially-distinct subsection of a larger area; ghettos in the modern day need not be so, and so I prefer "The Hood") is not as bad as some people make it out to be.

I should know; I lived in Detroit during the 80s. And I'm not talking about some nice downtown high-rise apartment or on the outskirts of Grosse Point, either.

Andrew D. Gable

First Post
I'm kind of in a ghetto, I guess. It isn't bad in my neighborhood yet, true, but I see very distinctly that in my lifetime, and definitely that of my kids should I have any, it will be ghetto... a few years back, we had a drive-by shooting of a drug dealer directly out front of my house. Well, to clarify, the drug dealer wasn't shot, but one of his "boys" (who graduated a year ahead of me) was. Not killed, but he's hooked up to a colostomy bag now...

Greylock

First Post
Asking for your Social Sec # is odd, and probably illegal. But as one who has been the official witness of record for countless crimes, I say give the cop a bye on this. He may have not trusted you as a witness, and was fishing for info to confirm you are who you say you are. Happens all the time [not much to me, since I'm usually in work garb], and though it may have irked you, some sort of outside verification or questioning is SOP when the officer is in doubt.

Doesn't make it right, but I can understand it.

Remove ads