• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Lifepath Table

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
Right off the bat, I would change the first table to have more of a curve, so things like "extra-planar birth" are much rarer than say, "town" or "slave pit".

Dremmen

First Post
el-remmen said:
Right off the bat, I would change the first table to have more of a curve, so things like "extra-planar birth" are much rarer than say, "town" or "slave pit".

I thought that too when the first draft was being tossed around. However it becomes difficult to get less than a one in twelve chance on a d12. The only thing I can think of is do one entry called alien, and then within that roll for extraplanar or alien kingdom or like the raised by wolves thing. However, if enough folks voice that same opinion I can certainly make that change.

It doesn't really fit your d12 theme, but on mine I went with a 3d6 roll to give more of a curve, keeping the more alien stuff to the higher and lower numbers will help to decrease the frequency a great deal.

Aus_Snow

First Post
I agree with el-remmen about the odds there.

Apart from that though, great stuff. :cool: Thanks for making it, and for posting the link here.

I also hope to see more of these springing up on the web. . .

Master of the Game said:
It doesn't really fit your d12 theme, but on mine I went with a 3d6 roll to give more of a curve, keeping the more alien stuff to the higher and lower numbers will help to decrease the frequency a great deal.
Is your version online somewhere, for example? :)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Using 1d20 lets you convert to a percntage albeit at 5% increments

it also lets you do things like give background bonuses (say an Alien Feat that gives a +10 to background rolls (results 11 - 20))

1-5 Town
6-9 A Rural Hamlet/Village
10 -11 Major metropolis, Capital City
12 Out in the wilderness
13 Alien racial city
14 Slave Pit
15 Religious or Scholarly Institution
16 Fortress
17 Palace
18 Caravan or other mobile
19 Alien racial environment
20 Extraplanar

Nifft

Penguin Herder
We have d%, ya know. :) We can "curve" things explicitly.

However, I'd like to remind folks: this is not the lifepath for any random human. This is the lifepath of a cool hero. We should not ask how likely is it that Bob the Shopkeeper came from an elven city. We should ask how likely it is that Zorg the Archmage of Energy came from a nice farming village. :D

Cheers, -- N

Asmor

First Post
Dremmen said:
There's just no love for the poor, neglected d12.. :(

;)

Oh, tell me about it. One of the things I've got on the backburner is an idea for a game of some sort that uses d12s heavily, maybe exclusively. I could call it the Barbarian Game! (I'm sad... I've got a barbarian in my campaign, but he uses monkeygrip and so his axe does 3d6, not 1d12 :()

Whenever I get home I'll probably write a generator to automate this stuff. Cool resource!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads